ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-04-2014   #1
BigIke

Default Belt Replacement

WOW - I knew there was a reason that i've waited this long...

Right as the sun started to set i began, got the belt off and using my KD ratchet was able to get the tensioner held open with the TB horn...

Slipped off the ALT with some persuasion... Then got hung up between the belly pan, crank pulley and block. Had to cut the old 1991 hold out in half and pull it out...

Right now i'm letting the new belt set in a position to get the memory out of two spots.

I'm 6'3" 300#... This is going to be fun!
1991 White ZRJuan #1616
Mileage: 56K Sept-14 -- 113k May-18!!!
God Damn I Love This Car!
BigIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014   #2
Dynomite

Default Re: Belt Replacement

I use a 1/2 inch long flex handle socket

You may have to wedge the handle with wood at the air horn and you may have to reach down and rotate the belt tensioner just a tad to get the 1/2 inch socket inserted.

Slip the new belt on edge between Harmonic Balancer and frame rail first using a wooden or similar yard stick to poke the belt between the tight space on edge.

Then guide belt up around Power steering pulley, over AC with a tight fit under Air Horn (Rubber Air Intake bellows removed), then down under Water Pump Pulley, then loop up and held near Alternator. The other end pulled up from Harmonic Balancer after it is matched rib for rib on the Harmonic Balancer.

Pass the back side of belt over Belt Tensioner Pulley. Now.......with 1/2 inch socket inserted, open Belt Tensioner and hold tight the belt loop to keep belt in place groove for groove on the Power Steering, AC, and Harmonic Balancer Pulleys.

With pulleys matched grove for grove (Power Steering, AC, Harmonic Balancer), Slip Belt loop over Alternator Pulley and match groove for groove.

Release Belt Tensioner and assure there is approximately 1/2 inch between the inside of the belts at the Belt Tensioner.

If you cannot slip the belt over the Alternator Pulley with all grooves on the pulleys mentioned matched groove for groove and if there is not the approximately 1/2 inch gap between inside of belt and inside of belt at the belt tensioner, maybe check belt length.

You can check belt length by running a tape measure on the outside of the belt (with the belt) as you run the belt and tape measure through your fingers.

Replacing the Serpentine Belt

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-05-2014 at 03:53 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014   #3
BigIke

Well a large stir stick was the way to go... Also the Oreily Gates K060802 is TOO SMALL!! Get the K060806!

No way the 802 was going to work, tried it on the water pump and then the alternator last no good. Heck there isn't a way to get any leverage doing the WP last...

806 is good to go, took 3 min to install. make sure to take the 2 extra memory bends out first!
1991 White ZRJuan #1616
Mileage: 56K Sept-14 -- 113k May-18!!!
God Damn I Love This Car!

Last edited by BigIke; 12-05-2014 at 01:32 PM.
BigIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021   #4
staminqia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIke View Post
Well a large stir stick was the way to go... Also the Oreily Gates K060802 is TOO SMALL!! Get the K060806!

No way the 802 was going to work, tried it on the water pump and then the alternator last no good. Heck there isn't a way to get any leverage doing the WP last...

806 is good to go, took 3 min to install. make sure to take the 2 extra memory bends out first!
Did this belt work out for you? Its a 80.6 inch belt, the experts recommend an 80 inch? just checking. DId you have any issues with the tensioner??
staminqia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021   #5
32valvesftw

I could not get the 80" on and ended up buying a 80.5 which went on pretty easily once I figured out the process.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021   #6
secondchance

I believe Chevrolet spec was 80.375. If 80.375 slips on easy, check the alternator pulley. You might have L98 pulley rather than LT5 pulley.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021   #7
Matt B

I just recently installed an ACDelco 6K802 and it fit's perfectly well. As my Z was a completely unmolested 91 example with original belt still in place I assume that no pulleys have been altered. So with stock setup (in my case) that belt was a good choice.
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote