ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-03-2017   #51
Roadster

Default Re: TB removal and then some!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Hey Tom,
Thanks for your thoughts. I can't even get myself to break the seal on the packaging to know I really want to use it let alone sell it. Those cheesesteaks and hoagies sound tempting though....

You are approaching it the right way to take your time and do it right. I'm gong to do the same to confirm what the real issue is, but earlier discussions with Marc point to TB issues. If I could put my car down for a few weeks I rather send the TB to Marc if so, but my situation here poses some challenges for down time with the Z.

You're almost as thorough as Dynomite Cliff and you're going to help folks out with all the details and photos. Will post up when I get to my projects and just collecting up all the parts now while waiting on extra top end components. Thanks for sharing.
Craig,
No problem...lol Yes, they do sound tempting....and we just found another place that has the best cheesesteaks to date in our area.
If I could figure out a way to get those cheesesteaks and hoagies out to you and still be fresh, it would be my treat. hmmmm, have to work on that!!!

I know what you mean about breaking the seal, years ago I found and purchased an NOS Q-Jet for a 70 Corvette 454 motor still wrapped up in the original box . And it still is today.....lol
Intended to use on my 74, but ended up getting my original rebuilt, which I will end up using.

I'm glad you used the words "almost as", don't think I could ever match Cliff!!!
I do hope the details and photos help the individuals as mentioned before, to take on a project that maybe they thought was beyond their capabilities.

When all back together, if I end up having the same issue, then I will assume it could be the TB. But until then, and as suggested by other members, that isn't the issue. We shall see....

Anxious to hear your progress when you can troubleshoot your issue. Keep us posted for sure....

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 05-03-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017   #52
Roadster

FYI...This is the extended Torx set I found which also includes the T-40 needed for the plenum bolts. Although this may be common knowledge among the seasoned members, I would suggest a purchase of this kit or a similar one for those members thinking about doing their first plenum pull. The extended T-40 will not only fit in those two tight spaces mentioned before, with ease. But you will now be fully seated in the bolt during disassembly and when putting the correct torque on these during reassembly. And not have the fear of stripping out the head of the bolt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381149868006...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 05-03-2017   #53
Roadster

Just want to say I can't comment enough about all of the contacts from PM's, phone calls, texting and posting that I have been receiving lately with thoughts, ideas, and suggestions concerning the idle issue.
Again, it is very much appreciated from all and as I always say, a good continuing learning process along the way....Thank you all!!!

Been talking to VetteVet (Jep) on numerous occasions and he also came up with an idea for replacing that connector. And that is to find 2 90* elbows that would fit onto the solenoid and also be large enough for the 2 lines to be inserted into them. And then use a small plastic tie to secure.

Yun has also has suggested to Epoxy the lines into the connector. Also I determined that what Yun used during the "first" plenum pull IIRC was a piece of "sticky" tape around the outside of the line and then inserted into the connector seemed to work.
As you will see in the pic, once I reinserted the line in question, it was in there snug. I now don't think that there was even a slight chance that the line ever popped out on its own. It most likely came out when I pulled up on the plenum during removal. So whatever Yun did before apparently worked.

It also looks like there was a plenum removal along the way before my ownership, as this connector has a plastic tie. And from what I have been told, is that the factory did not use plastic ties.

the connector...it was not as soft as what I thought last night...the opening is soft, but the connector itself is firm and doesn't have any cracks...the one opening appears to be slightly elongated...

after reinserting the line in question.....a very snug fit as per Yun...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 05-03-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-04-2017   #54
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Craig,

No problem...lol Yes, they do sound tempting....and we just found another place that has the best cheesesteaks to date in our area.

If I could figure out a way to get those cheesesteaks and hoagies out to you and still be fresh, it would be my treat. hmmmm, have to work on that!!!

I know what you mean about breaking the seal, years ago I found and purchased an NOS Q-Jet for a 70 Corvette 454 motor still wrapped up in the original box . And it still is today.....lol

Intended to use on my 74, but ended up getting my original rebuilt, which I will end up using.

I'm glad you used the words "almost as", don't think I could ever match Cliff!!!

I do hope the details and photos help the individuals as mentioned before, to take on a project that maybe they thought was beyond their capabilities.

When all back together, if I end up having the same issue, then I will assume it could be the TB. But until then, and as suggested by other members, that isn't the issue. We shall see....

Anxious to hear your progress when you can troubleshoot your issue. Keep us posted for sure....

Thanks for your thoughts and offer. The closest I have eaten lately is Subway steak and cheese sandwich. Not even close.

I figured that new TB does no good sitting on the shelf and this is my last hurrah with this car as I'll probably get rid of later and move on.

Yes, Cliff is a legend already with all of his posts and thousands of hours into tech threads.

Thanks and I'll keep up the great posts.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #55
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Thanks for your thoughts and offer. The closest I have eaten lately is Subway steak and cheese sandwich. Not even close.

I figured that new TB does no good sitting on the shelf and this is my last hurrah with this car as I'll probably get rid of later and move on.

Yes, Cliff is a legend already with all of his posts and thousands of hours into tech threads.

Thanks and I'll keep up the great posts.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Yes Subway is ok, but no substitute for the real thing....

So your going to use the NOS TB and eventually sell the Z???

I agree with you on Cliff, great research and tech threads as I'm sure everyone would agree...

Always enjoy your contributions....

Sent you a PM.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 05-04-2017   #56
Roadster

Just received the extended Torx socket set with the T-40 included. As you can see in the top of the pic it fits perfect in either the stock or SS bolts. Will be much easier as mentioned before, removing and torqueing down the bolts especially the two between the runners on each side. Under $20 for the set shipped, a nice addition to your tool chest if you don't already have them...and made in the USA...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 05-04-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-04-2017   #57
Jagdpanzer

Tom,
Where did you get the Torx?
I've had good results with this glue for repair jobs like securing vacuum lines.
http://eclecticproducts.com/products...utomotive.html
This stuff bonds anything to anything and holds tight where other glues fail.
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #58
Jagdpanzer

Never mind, I saw your above post and link
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #59
Roadster

Phil,
Thanks for the tip on the glue, just ordered it a few minutes ago. Although there were a few ideas and similar suggestions on how to accomplish the job, your suggestion seems that it will work just fine....
The connector should not be a problem now, with the Goop. It would be nice if these connectors were still available, and there are other alternatives that have been suggested that would also work. So the issue at hand would get resolved one way or another....

Glad you found the link, even though it was a few $ more from this seller, the Torx kit was ordered 5-2, and delivered in 2 days...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 05-04-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-05-2017   #60
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Yes Subway is ok, but no substitute for the real thing....

So your going to use the NOS TB and eventually sell the Z???

I agree with you on Cliff, great research and tech threads as I'm sure everyone would agree...

Always enjoy your contributions....

Sent you a PM.....
We can't even use the word "substitute" for a real Philly Steak and not sure I have ever had a real one.

Once I retire and no longer have benefits under the Status of Force Agreement (SOFA) to register and pay lower taxes, I'm not sure I want to pay through my nose for what will be a 30 year old car by then. The road taxes here are based on cc of the engine size so it will get ridiculous to continue owning a V8 as well as the additional tax for the age. Right now it would be $1,000 a year just for road tax. Not counting the inspection and registration. In addition, I'm not going to screw with all the idiosyncracies of this car in old age. By then I might have to just junk the car as C4s have no real value here. I'll enjoy it for now though and love it.

That is why Cliff is "Dynomite"!

Thanks for your thoughts and keep up the great work.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 05-05-2017 at 04:07 AM.
HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote