ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-10-2014   #1
Billy Mild

Default Suspension Settings

It seems on this car that the suspension doesn't seem very tight. The car does seem to flex a lot, and I noticed it is really bad when the roof is out. Is this typical of the C4? My 86 951 was pretty stiff chassis and with a refreshed suspension handled decent, but still had some body roll.

On the ZR1 when I have the car in touring mode it just seems to bounce around a lot and be floating on air. With the suspension firmed up a bit that feeling goes away, but the chassis still seems to flex a bit. I think 90% of the rattles and creaks are from the chassis flexing so much. Are there any fixes for that, or is this caused by bad suspension bushings? How often do the shocks need to be rebuilt?
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #2
Harvie

Default Re: Suspension Settings

Weld a roll bar in right behind the seats. Bar stiffens up the frame.
[-X show poodles & trailer queens :-({|=
Fast and fun not pretty in pink.
Harvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #3
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
It seems on this car that the suspension doesn't seem very tight. The car does seem to flex a lot, and I noticed it is really bad when the roof is out. Is this typical of the C4? My 86 951 was pretty stiff chassis and with a refreshed suspension handled decent, but still had some body roll.

On the ZR1 when I have the car in touring mode it just seems to bounce around a lot and be floating on air. With the suspension firmed up a bit that feeling goes away, but the chassis still seems to flex a bit. I think 90% of the rattles and creaks are from the chassis flexing so much. Are there any fixes for that, or is this caused by bad suspension bushings? How often do the shocks need to be rebuilt?
Have this same issue, of course PA roads are rubbish
Old 09-10-2014   #4
Z06scentair

Typical C4 complaints and is the main reason I never romove the roof panel on them.

The C5 FRC/z06 is my favorite ride/handling car of all corvette's. The fixed roof makes them feel so tight yet quick on their toes.

Last edited by Z06scentair; 09-10-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #5
mike100

the roof panel is critical. I had a cracking clear plastic top and once replaced, it felt like a whole new car. Along those lines, the FX3 adjustable shocks feel a lot better after a rebuild, especially if you valve them with more rebound damping. I never drive in the soft modes- it will crash to the bumpstops over speed bumps just about when going real slow. Another option might be to get a reprogrammed fx3 shock controller than adjusts them stiffer at lower speeds. My shocks had 27k miles on them and absolutely sucked, but felt great after rebuilding. Bilstein doesn't really want to support these shocks anymore though as their prices are through the roof.

I have also installed the DRM rear trailing arm bracket which affects the anti-squat and seems to have reduced the nose down pitching under braking too. Raising the front end to stock ride height also helped preload the front spring to a stiffer initial tension and gives the shocks a bit more time to damp movement before bottoming out. All these small changes really makes it a pleasure to drive hard and it doesn't feel like a bloated tuna boat anymore.

Last edited by mike100; 09-10-2014 at 03:54 PM.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #6
We Gone

Sounds completely normal, I leave mine on sport or performance..tour is to soft . Never take the top off.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #7
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
Sounds completely normal, I leave mine on sport or performance..tour is to soft . Never take the top off.
Unless you have one of the Targa Truses. Would love to get one of them
Old 09-10-2014   #8
batchman

I come from the land of topless Mustangs so with the roof on the car doesn't seem too bad to me .

The spring/shock/bar package from the factory is all "touring" however. Doubling the spring rates (with shocks to match) is a start, and doesn't kill the ride. I was really really surprised that an option package as spendy as this did not get the very good Z51 stuff.

Cheers,
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #9
Meanmyz

I haven't read everybody's post in this thread, but it sounds like you need to check out the thread's on the new frame stiffening product. It was designed by Gordon Killebrew.

Here's a thread on the subject: http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....rame+stiffener

That and some revalved shocks might make you really happy!
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #10
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanmyz View Post
I haven't read everybody's post in this thread, but it sounds like you need to check out the thread's on the new frame stiffening product. It was designed by Gordon Killebrew.

Here's a thread on the subject: http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....rame+stiffener

That and some revalved shocks might make you really happy!
just bought that set up, haven't put it on, but I drove David's car with it and had to buy one. Makes a huge difference