ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-17-2013   #11
tomtom72

Default Re: Vacuum pump

Great Job! I would suggest one addition to your punch list. Build a cooling air intake screen. Over at the NetReg site in the maintenance section there should be a write up on the how to.

Basically, I went to Home Depot and bought two pieces of gutter leaf guard, a roll of fine mesh fiberglass screen material and some plaster repair washers. I took down the center air dam, and the support bracket that holds that splitter thing across the middle of the radiator air intake opening. I used the clips on the gutter guard to make one long piece from the two small ones. Then I wrapped it in the fiberglass screen material so the seam is toward the inside of that air channel. I used the bolts for the air dam section and that center splitter bracket to hold it in place and just put everything back. Just don't forget to clean the screen every week or so so the air can get to the radiator.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #12
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Great Job! I would suggest one addition to your punch list. Build a cooling air intake screen. Over at the NetReg site in the maintenance section there should be a write up on the how to.

.... snip...

Tom
I agree with Tom. Put some sort of screen in there. Worth it's weight in gold. Keeps crap out and easy to clean.
There is a article with instructions on:
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Home.aspx
Once there put your mouse over INFORMATION
then TECHNET then click on COOLING/HEATING
Once there find the article "Cooling-System--Radiator-Screen"

You can try the link below but if it's broken use the above info to get to it.
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Inform...or-Screen.aspx

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #13
zig

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll put the screen in both my ZR1 and the wife's 96. The PO had hit a bird and a few other insects large enough to carry off small children. It was a pretty big mess. Off to get the solenoid, spark plugs. and what ever else I can find at the parts store.
1991 ZR-1 #85, 21,000 miles
1991 Z28, L98, 62,000 miles
1996 Collector Edition Convertible, 87,000 miles
zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #14
zig

Got the solenoid and pulled it from its housing and installed it. Same exact issue. I pulled the solenoid back out and hooked my hand held vacuum pump/gage up and sure enough, It slowly drops vacuum just like the original one. So, I pulled the solenoid apart and it's just a pintle held in place by a spring. If I press on the back of the pintle a little, it holds a vacuum like a champ. Maybe a stronger spring but then I may have an issue overcoming the spring when it needs to activate. Going to get another from a different chain tomorrow and see if it acts the same. I'll take the pump to the store and test it before I buy it this time. I may also work on the old one to see if I can get a better seat. Maybe some lapping compund and a slow speed drill with the pintle in the seat.

If anyone has an ideas regarding this secondary solenoid , throw them at me.

Other than that everything was smooth sailing today. Cleaning took the better part of the day but the valley is clean and back together. Put some liquid insulation on the starter solenoid wire the rat chewed up, installed new gaskets for the cover in the valley, installed the new injectors from FIC, replaced all the fuel rail seals, changed the spark plugs (#8 was as much a pain as I've read but the whole evolution wsa much easier than an LT1 or an L98), and put a new belt on. Will put the plenum on after I figure out this solenoid issue and fill it with coolant.
1991 ZR-1 #85, 21,000 miles
1991 Z28, L98, 62,000 miles
1996 Collector Edition Convertible, 87,000 miles
zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #15
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig View Post
... snip ...
If anyone has an ideas regarding this secondary solenoid , throw them at me.

...snip....
It's been a very long time (12-14 yrs) since I reworked the secondary vacuum lines and stuff in the V but seems to me I stretched it a bit, changed the check valve and cleaned out the vacuum reservoir while I was in there. And I turned the actuators around (they looked crooked) and bent the L bracket on them to pull straight. (used mity vac tool to test)
I haven't had to work on the secondary since (except the pump)
Out of curiosity I just went out and turned the key on. The pump rand 6-7 seconds then nothing. (waited 2min to see if it'd leak down).

Old 08-18-2013   #16
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
It's been a very long time (12-14 yrs) since I reworked the secondary vacuum lines and stuff in the V but seems to me I stretched it a bit, changed the check valve and cleaned out the vacuum reservoir while I was in there. And I turned the actuators around (they looked crooked) and bent the L bracket on them to pull straight. (used mity vac tool to test)
I haven't had to work on the secondary since (except the pump)
Out of curiosity I just went out and turned the key on. The pump rand 6-7 seconds then nothing. (waited 2min to see if it'd leak down).
Well, Scott... Obviously, your damn pump broke again!! Time to realize the benefits of "going camando" where secondaries are concerned, and get rid of the troublesome things!! (Course you'll have to live with instantaneous throttle response, and clean secondary valves...)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #17
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Well, Scott... Obviously, your damn pump broke again!! Time to realize the benefits of "going camando" where secondaries are concerned, and get rid of the troublesome things!! (Course you'll have to live with instantaneous throttle response, and clean secondary valves...)

Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #18
mike100

Going Commando, lol...
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #19
Racinfan83

Here is a link to a thread I posted on the radiator screen: http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20178
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #20
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
Here is a link to a thread I posted on the radiator screen: http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20178
I like that way it turned out. Very clean looking.=D>