ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-07-2023   #11
mlipmd

Default Re: Stalling sometimes at stops?

Here's a totally different take on that problem. Mine did that twice one day a few years ago- stalled at a traffic light, was able to restart it immediately. Then about a mile down the road, stalled at a stop sign. Restarted it again immediately. Rode home absolutely fine for 5 miles without missing a beat. My fuel gauge read a little less than a quarter of a tank, but I put gas in it from a can at home and it ran fine again. Went to a gas station and filled it up and it confirmed my suspicion that I had run out of gas and my gauge was off and misleading me. Since I cleaned off the sensor and use Techron in my tank every once in a while I have not had that problem again. And always take a look at your trip indicator when your gauge reads low to see how far you've gone on the tank. The mileage indicator is very likely more accurate than your gas gauge on the dash.
mlipmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023   #12
rufcar

with a bunch of old cars I always make sure the gauge works. I also top off every time I drive but nice call though. Tkx
rufcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023   #13
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Another item to consider is the MAP sensor, which is on the back of the plenum. It has a plastic hard line that attaches from it to the back of the plenum to read vacuum. These cars do a decent job at keeping the plenum pretty wet with oil. What can happen is oil gets in that line and obstructs the sensors ability to read vacuum.

Also possible that if the plenum has ever been off, that hard line was compromised. So what some will do is just use a rubber hose to attach to the plenum and the sensor. That was the case on mine. Literally the first time out driving the car and it stalled out at a light. I eventually found a replacement rubber hose on the plenum to the MAP sensor and the line was compromised from the oil soaking through it. Replaced with an actual hard line from Jerry?s Gaskets and the stalling problem was gone. It always happened when coming off the gas and on the brakes a little to make a turn. Car would always die mid turn.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023   #14
rufcar

Interesting. The plenum was off earlier this year by a qualified tech in order to install the correct ac compressor. He also found one of the tabs bent by the PO's tech and the wrong gasket. Now it is all correct but I will check that hard line. Tkx
rufcar is offline   Reply With Quote