ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2016   #1
secondchance

Default LED headlight upgrade

My passenger side headlight died on me about a week ago. Instead of replacing the burnt out Silverstar, figured it to be an opportunity to get $24.95 discount on a pair of LED set. I had been keeping an eye on GE Nighthawk LEDs but at $260 ea. it wasn't easy decision. Then I noticed what looked to be the same or remarkably similar looking lights from Truck-lite.

I ordered a pair from Ebay and showed up on Friday.

Below is a shot of light pattern/color of Silerstar halogen (left) and Truck-lite LED (right). LED side is definitely whiter with much larger pattern.

Shot of both sides installed. Note the light is divided horizontally with the top for low beam and lower side dedicated to high beam.

Shot of light pattern on the wall with both sides.

Now that my night vision isn't what it use to be, this definitely was a worthwhile upgrade. Whereas halogen throws straight, candle flame shaped bright area with lower lit areas left and right, LEDs throw more evenly lit, wide area. Also, LEDs throw light almost immediately in front of the car and forward. So much so, driving lights are pretty much not necessary.

Since purchase I noticed GE Nighthawks are available at $209 each from Amazon.

I haven't had time to modify driving light ground. At the moment when I switch on the driving light, I get high beam. I think I'll add HID driving lights when I modify the wiring.

Last edited by secondchance; 01-17-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2016   #2
secondchance

Default Re: LED headlight upgrade

One more thing - over all, light color and pattern looks very similar to my BMW which came with HID lights. However, LED lights have sort of half a melon shaped bright spots at the furthest point in the middle.

I considered HIDs but my concern was being able to identify properly designed reflector. HID lamp light point source may be located different from halogen bulb being replaced and this change can have unpredictable affect on light pattern. These Truck-lite units and certainly GE units are designed as a self contained unit. As such, I had far less concern over resulting pattern.
Old 01-17-2016   #3
Billy Mild

http://www.amazon.com/GENSSI-Project...+headlight+5x7

My wife got me these for Xmas. I have yet to install them. I am already running LED foglights and the light is almost Blue in color, but they are slightly brighter than stock. I will put these headlights in sometime over the winter. I'm sure they will be brighter than stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu8C1CZ8W20

This video sums up the brightness. Can't wait to get them on the car.
Old 01-17-2016   #4
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
http://www.amazon.com/GENSSI-Project...+headlight+5x7

My wife got me these for Xmas. I have yet to install them. I am already running LED foglights and the light is almost Blue in color, but they are slightly brighter than stock. I will put these headlights in sometime over the winter. I'm sure they will be brighter than stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu8C1CZ8W20

This video sums up the brightness. Can't wait to get them on the car.
Look forward to comparison.
Old 01-17-2016   #5
efnfast

Wow, that was an impressive video.
Old 01-17-2016   #6
Hib Halverson

HID techology is being rapidly displaced by LED. Stick with the Nighthawk conversion. It works really well.

I tested them in a C4 for another web site and they worked quite well. To read the article, click here.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Old 01-17-2016   #7
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
HID techology is being rapidly displaced by LED. Stick with the Nighthawk conversion. It works really well.

I tested them in a C4 for another web site and they worked quite well. To read the article, click here.
LEDs are being adapted in residential and commercial buildings also primarily due to about 40% energy savings and quality of light. For use in buildings, drivers are needed to step down the voltage, which of course, is not needed for automotive use. Also, lack of filament means durability in dealing with road impacts. With 30,000 hours life expectancy, I expect this pair to out last the car. Just my two cents...

Last edited by secondchance; 01-17-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2016   #8
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post

So there's no complicated conversion to the LEDs? I agree w you regarding driving the C4 at night, particularly those of us that are further down the line in years.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
Old 01-18-2016   #9
ZR1North

Very timely as I am part way through converting all my interior and exterior lights. Did you have difficulty plugging in the LED headlights to the factory plugs? I am thinking of Hib's Nighthawk write-up wherein which he notes the difficulty plugging in the Nighthawks to the factory headlight wiring (looks like a very hard squeeze was required).
Old 01-18-2016   #10
secondchance

Mine are Truck-lite brand LEDs and not GE. Plugging wasn't that difficult. Remember-driving light ground wire has to be modified per Hib's article.
Closed Thread