ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Racing > Personal Racing Stories

Old 03-09-2009   #1
xxxscimitarxxx

Default so how do you drag a C4 ZR1 ?

Im asking because l will be taking my yellow 92 to an american car day on 30th may in UK at a drag strip .....shakespeare raceway

anyway my UK corvette club is organising the event for all vette owners who want to run....kind of trophy event too as this will be one of four event we are doing..........anyway

whats the best way to get a C4 ZR1 off the line......revs , clutch dump or no dump.........newbie strip drag racer age 51............lol....never too old for a new career

one day soon lm going to buy some muscle thats got min 1000 hp and have a lot of fun .....this is just the beginning
xxxscimitarxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #2
rhipsher

Default Re: so how do you drag a C4 ZR1 ?

I dump the clutch! I'm running 342rwhp so it's pretty much bone stock. But I've found with my car that dumping the clutch between 3500 to 4000 rpm's usually does the trick. Then shifting in 1st and 2nd gear at 6800 rpm's. And when you hit 3rd just mash that gas peddle to the floor and hang on. The drag strip is more sticky than the street. Once you find out where your cars sweet spot is at launches, you should be running between 13.05 and 12.9sec at around 112mph. Despite what some may say! Drag racing does take some skill. The time slips don't lie. They will tell you if your improving or not. You will get plenty of advice from others here. You will have a blast. P.S don't ever wait for the green light. As soon as the last yellow light before the green starts to fade! Nail it.

Last edited by rhipsher; 03-10-2009 at 10:21 PM.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #3
jonszr1

do you have street tires ????if so go around the wet box .put the car in second gear for your burnout . i differ from rick alittle bit on the starting line and the first to second gear change .not to say his way wont work . i would put the starting line rpms at no higher than 2000 then let the clutch out fast but dont pop it .short shift 1st to second at 6000 then you can shift second to third at 6600-6800 rpm and go thru the lights in third . this proceedure is for if you have 3.45 rear gears (stk) if you have 4.10s then go thru in 4th . i have some vids on u tube that may help . just type in joeshmoe12301230 for all 11 vids . you can also go to rangers site for helpfull hints on drag strip proceedures . hope this helps and have fun but watch out drag racing can be addictive .ps please ck the condition of your 1/2 shaft u joints before going .breaking one of them will cause you to have to get towed home . the car will not move with only 1 1/2shaft .
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #4
jonszr1

also work the throttle down so that you are floored by 15 ft out dont slam it down as you will just blow the tires off the car
Old 03-11-2009   #5
rhipsher

Both of Brads ZR-1's are bad to the bone. And are not totally stock. I know I've driven one of them. "SCARY". So the technique will be different. But it's all about practice. But Brads been at it longer than me. Not bad for a 55 year old man. Haha!
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #6
GrayZ

Brad, has given some great insight, but i feel the rpm's vary
with every vehicle, my car, headers, chip and corsa, 410's
i rev to 2700 rpm's as not to bog at start.
then....let her rip, tator chip.

ME on right, revving to approx. 27oo rpm's

Last edited by GrayZ; 03-11-2009 at 02:59 PM.
GrayZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #7
xxxscimitarxxx

Thanks for the useful info guys....l guess its not rocket science but paying attention to lots of lil things first time round ....all seems like a lot at the time.....burn out ...no burn out ...water... no water...pre staging....staging....lights

LOL....then stall it

having three runs on the day so hopefully get some of the hang of it

Nice vids ....have of course seem em 30 times before
xxxscimitarxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #8
jonszr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITLGO2 View Post
Brad, has given some great insight, but i feel the rpm's vary
with every vehicle, my car, headers, chip and corsa, 410's
i rev to 2700 rpm's as not to bog at start.
then....let her rip, tator chip.

ME on right, revving to approx. 27oo rpm's
very cool video hadnt seen it before. he is right about every car being alittle different . best thing to do is get a note book and record what you did on every run it will go along way to getting the best time you can out of her . biggest thing is the second gear burnout you wont over rev the motor as easy and you get much greater wheel speed by going this way. you can try the water box but if you do go around it and back in otherwaise you will have water on your front tires which wont be a good thing . have a great time and let us know how you did .maybe you can get someone to video you.
Old 03-12-2009   #9
jonszr1

where you on street tires????
Old 03-18-2009   #10
jonszr1

did you go to the strip yet?????