ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-27-2015   #1
thirstyzr1

Default Oil in number 6 cyl.

Hi All,

Its June and I still have not started my stock 90. Has been stored since last fall in my heated garage. Fresh oil after parking it.
Decided to change the plugs before putting it back on the road next week.
I pulled out number 6 plug and its covered in oil. The car ran fine all of last year.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Jeff
thirstyzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015   #2
Z06scentair

Default Re: Oil in number 6 cyl.

Time to remove the cam cover and replace the o-rings. They seal the head to cam cover.
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015   #3
GOLDCYLON

As stated you need to remove the Cam cover and replace the Oring plug seals. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015   #4
thirstyzr1

Ok thanks for the input.
There are 2 mechanics that have LT5 experience within an hour of me. Drive or Tow?
It was only # 6 that was oily.
Old 06-27-2015   #5
Z06scentair

Clean the plug off and stuff a rag down the bore to remove as much oil as possible. Put the plug back in and drive.
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015   #6
RussMcB

Maybe crank the engine a few revolutions before putting the plug back in to give it a chance to push the oil out of the plug hole, just in case there's enough oil in there to cause hydraulic lock (probably not, but ...).
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015   #7
thirstyzr1

Thanks for the replies Gentlemen.
Old 06-27-2015   #8
Mystic ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstyzr1 View Post
Hi All,

Its June and I still have not started my stock 90. Has been stored since last fall in my heated garage. Fresh oil after parking it.
Decided to change the plugs before putting it back on the road next week.
I pulled out number 6 plug and its covered in oil. The car ran fine all of last year.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Jeff
Do you mean oil on the electrode or the outside of the plug?
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015   #9
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstyzr1 View Post
Hi All,

Decided to change the plblugs before putting it back on the road next week.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Jeff
Covered in Oil means what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Do you mean oil on the electrode or the outside of the plug?
Lets assume Oil outside of the plug.......
How much Oil and when is the last time you checked the #6 plug?

If the plug is just a bit oily and it has been a long time, just clean the plug, clean the port and reinsert the plug and drive. I had the situation one time and it probably took several years to get a bit of oil in the Plug Socket.

In addition it could be high crank case pressure and your PCV system clogged a bit forcing the oil past #6 "O" ring. Could even be that someone had the Cam Covers off and got oil in the #6 Plug Socket. If it is just a bit of oil and the plug a bit oily, just clean things up and drive. Check again next oil change.

Last edited by Dynomite; 06-27-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015   #10
thirstyzr1

By the time i pulled the plug out in was covered including the threads...but considering how oily the socket was i may have just been pooled up. Threads would have been exposed when i backed the socket out.
The wires were replaced in fall of 13 along with all the usual things under the plenum. I ment to do the plugs last spring but just forgot about them. I am moving and was cleaning in the garage. Found the plugs and did them today.