ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-18-2015   #11
MuRCieLaGo

Default Re: Few problems on a ZR-1 I'm looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
$13k for a very low mileage ZR-1 with possibly easy-to-fix problems? Sounds like it might be worth looking into.

MuRCieLaGo, I think it mainly depends on if you are willing to take your time fixing the issues. You might end up with a supercar without spending a lot of money.

On the other hand, if it will be your "main" car that can't be on jack stands for extended periods, this might not be a good buy for you.

The ride control could be pricey to make it work like original, but there are less expensive options (like, put regular C4 shocks on).

The front lower fenders actually have slotted holes, so that might be a 5 minute fix.

Maybe you can do some research to see who has owned the car and learn more about its history.

Maybe you can convince the guy that the fixes are substantial and he should lower his price.

My '91's ride height is not even in the rear. This winter I plan to look into that. I'm pretty sure there can be adjustments made.
I'm not afraid to have the car up on jack stands for a while, I've got one more summer car and a winter car.

I'm not interested at all by the regular C4 shocks option. But like We_Gone said, the might only be because one of both shocks is from a regular C4 and the other one from a ZR-1 (Bilstein?).

I tried to do some research on the car, the only thing I could retrieve from Autocheck is that the car comes from Ohio 1996-2006, was collecting dust from 2007-2013 and is in Canada since then.

Price won't be lowered by much now, maybe I can go to high 12k but that's about it.

I'm surprised you also have that problem of your rear wheels not being level. I'll do some search on that, I thought it was a very local issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
Sent you a PM. Sometime you get a lot of negativity but than everyone has an opinion.
Thanks for your answers We_Gone, it's always nice to get quick, detailed answers to my questions.
MuRCieLaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015   #12
George Maz

$13k seems like a low price considering the info given.
Owning my ZR-1 for just a short time, I've compiled a list of a dozen fixes and mods to be done this winter... and my car is what I'd consider nearly perfect for a 25yr old. These are fantastic cars, with exceptional community & forum support. I hope this one's within your comfort zone, or you find an even better one!
1990 ZR-1 #1587
1990 ZR-1 #1727
George Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #13
-=Jeff=-

Also, for the issues listed, Are you willing to be the one to do the work or will you need someone to do it for you? That in my opinion is key..

From the items you listed, I think you can push for a better price a bit and you may get a nice deal. how does the car look overall? I bought my 1990 with 60K miles in 2007. It needed quite the work, but I do as much as I can on my own.. it turned out quite nice..

Someone that saw a rough picture said it was a flood car, I have not seen any signs of that other than it was really rough.. But the driven train is solid and I too had a SRC light which turned out to be a loose shock. I have since replaced the shocks (did coilovers). I have seen cars with stock spring not sit perfect in the back, both my 90 and my previous 89 were this way.. If you like the car, the engine is solid (outside of the Alt) Everything else is purely C4.. If I was looking that would eb the car I would look for.. needs a small bit of work but priced for some of us that cannot afford the completely pristine NCRS ready cars
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015   #14
MuRCieLaGo

I'm there again. Alternator has been changed.

At low RPM like 3,000 on 4th gear, it has a hesitation before going higher in the RPMs.

And the engine stalls at idle.

Any quick idea? Should it be a big concern?

Pretty much ALL the problems stated above were fixed.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 10-25-2015   #15
We Gone

Could be as simple as a bad idle air control. I would suggest hooking a scanner to it and going for a drive. Good luck.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015   #16
Z51JEFF

If it were me I'd pass,too many unexplained issues. Regardles of the price by the time everything -easy- has been repaired the low buy in price won't matter.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015   #17
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
If the car is priced accordingly and your willing to fix the issues.

1. Failed alternator..Easy fix but why
2. Service Ride Control Light (is it hard to fix, usually?)Could pricey
3. Brake light is onNot good you will at least have to go thru the complete system
4. Front left fender - wrong battery size (too big) was installed, so the fender is offset compared to the driver's door. I hope it hasn't been there for too long...Another easy fix
5. Muffler is not perfectly straight, I wonder if it is a quick fix...Find out why?? may be just needs adjusting
6. The gap from the fender to the rear tires, on both sides, was different. Maybe it is because the car was parked sideway on a very small hill, but I'm not sure. The rear right shock had a color (don't remember which color) and left one was black.Should have yellow shocks this may be why the SRC light is on..Not uncommon for a C4 not to sit level
7. The rear bumper was a bit offset compared to the rear left fender, so we could see the shadow going on the fender on a sunny day. I really don't know what this one could be... get under the car and look for any damage
I agree with Steve.

One thing, when people replace alternators they typically do it wrong and have it rebuilt incorrectly or buy aftermarket and it fails relatively soon. Find out where they purchased it and get a receipt

Check the specifics on the carfax. If few owners and no "stories" I think this is a super buy!

Many cars can have issues and they can build up. Hence the very reasonable price

As far as the acceleration issues. Looks like injectors and that is a typical issue with ZR-1's. While your at it. Change the coil packs and other maintenance issues

Sorry didn't notice a discussion over condition of the paint and interior. Check the weatherstrip. Is it crisp? How is the windshield? Does it have the lamination and radar cutout? How is the leather interior? Wear on the drivers bolster? (Typical). Radio / cd work? If issues Normal!!

How about condition of the wheels? Tires new? Or original GSC tires

Good luck. Sounds like a car with potential!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015   #18
MuRCieLaGo

Thank you David! I finally took the decision - I bought the car. I'm confident it can be restored to a very good condition. That stalling issue is the main problem. Got the codes pulled by a GM scanner and it doesn't receive any signal from the Camshaft Position Sensor. Should I change it first or it could be some other stuff around?
Old 10-26-2015   #19
32valvesftw

If you have a bad cam sensor you should have a code 31 and a light on the panel, plus full power won't work either. Its easy to change the sensor.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015   #20
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRCieLaGo View Post
I bought the car.
Congratulations! I'm sure you're going to be very happy with your decision. I got my ZR-1 in rough condition for a low price, and it has worked out great for me. I've had it less that a year and it's already 95% great. Having to work through the different issues helps you get familiar (even intimate :-) with it. Luckily for us the LT-5 parts are very reliable, the rest of the car is common C4, and there is fantastic support here and from our vendors.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote