ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Club Regional Areas > Mid-Atlantic Region

Old 12-20-2015   #11
QB93Z

Default Re: WMD - Saturday, 19 December 15

It was 27 degrees in Westminster on WMD morning. The group arrived promptly and we got some heaters going and the day went well.

The replacement of Charlie's heater core was completed with no issues. We removed the dash pad and all of the other interference listed in the Service Manual and the heater core pulled right out of the firewall.

It took us 12 hours to do the job. Removal of the dash pad is not difficult, there are just a lot of trim pieces to remove to get to the four screws that attach the dash pad.

Thanks to Nelson for his expertise on dash pad removal: "Just yank on it!"

The most important part of the job is to have a good "bag man" to put all the screws and bolts in labeled zip-lock bags. It makes reassembly much easier.

Thanks to Charlie for feeding all of us lunch. His pulled pork was excellent.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015   #12
dredgeguy

Well Wazoo, another mission accomplished and thanks to all for diving in on this project. Not for the faint of heart but something that had to be done. Now I understand why the dealer would charge over $1000 in labor to do this. I know others have said this can be done going through the glove box but I just do not see how this can be done but kudos to those who do it.
Thanks to Jim for hosting us and to Jim and Yun for 12 hours of labor. Nelson and Phil for their guidance and the rest of Wazoo for spending the time giving us moral support. Just a great fun day to spend with the group. Matt came by with his two sons who we are sure will keep the Legend Alive for years to come. I am putting up some photos for your viewing pleasure.
First photo you can see where the coolant was dripping under the passenger dash. I had Enfast's laminated poster at cars and coffee and it worked out to save the carpet from getting soaked.
Jim is all smiles with the passenger seat out giving more room to move around.
Phil's car next to mine..two red Z's back to back
Yun gets another section out
Success getting out the heater core box
more to come
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC7268.jpg (123.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7272.jpg (102.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7274.jpg (96.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7278.jpg (94.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7291.jpg (112.5 KB, 21 views)

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015   #13
dredgeguy

Nelson said to just pull it off and that is exactly what he and Yun did to the dash
Yeah, I have faith in my Wazoo brothers....talk about pucker factor!! This is not for the faint of heart.
Yun, Jim and Phil working out the next step
You can see that the passenger side padding was soaked with coolant. The bagging system worked well.
The heater core was shot for sure.

Great way to spend 12 hours with a great bunch of guys. Still nuts that a $23 replacement part would take so many labor hours to replace.

Dempsey came by and discussed his plans for working on our cars full time, exciting times in Wazoo land for sure.

Wishing all of the brotherhood a healthy and safe Merry Christmas and drive it like you stole it in 2016.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC7281.jpg (108.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7285.jpg (124.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7287.jpg (101.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7293.jpg (87.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7294.jpg (115.8 KB, 15 views)

Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Old 12-20-2015   #14
secondchance

A piece of rice cake!
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015   #15
dredgeguy

Just went out for a nice drive, runs great, no rattles or noise so looks like everything was buttoned up perfectly. Thanks again guys, smiling again......

Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Old 12-21-2015   #16
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Congrats Charlie!

Sounds like a great day with awesome food! 👍👍

Cheers

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016   #17
HIZNHRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredgeguy View Post
...talk about pucker factor!! This is not for the faint of heart...the heater core was shot for sure.
Pucker factor doesn't begin to describe changing a heater core in a C4 ZR-1; worst job ever. I'd sell the car before doing in again. Not sure why it would fail in a low mileage car in the first place. Car was started regularly, stored in a heater/AC garage, and had the coolant changed regularly. Only explanation I can come up with is galvanic corrosion caused by an electrochemical process where one metal corrodes preferentially to another (dissimilar metal) resulting from both being in electrical contact with an electrolyte ?

1991 Blk/Blk #864
Founding Member #255
Marc Haibeck Follower !

Last edited by HIZNHRZ; 01-02-2016 at 08:55 AM.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #18
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIZNHRZ View Post
Pucker factor doesn't begin to describe changing a heater core in a C4 ZR-1; worst job ever. I'd sell the car before doing in again. Not sure why it would fail in a low mileage car in the first place. Car was started regularly, stored in a heater/AC garage, and had the coolant changed regularly. Only explanation I can come up with is galvanic corrosion caused by ean lectrochemical process where one metal corrodes preferentially to another (dissimilar metal) resulting from both being in electrical contact with an electrolyte ?

I agree - galvanic corrosion. Replacement being aluminum, hopefully resolves this. Hey, look at the bright side, now we know we can service anything, including HVAC unit under the dash. Anyone up for reupholstering the dash in fine Scadinavic leather?
Old 01-02-2016   #19
HIZNHRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
I agree - galvanic corrosion. Replacement being aluminum, hopefully resolves this. Hey, look at the bright side, now we know we can service anything, including HVAC unit under the dash. Anyone up for reupholstering the dash in fine Scadinavic leather?
I agree which is why I was happy to find the replacment was aluminum. The leather dash would be a nice touch but to be honest, I like my ZR-1 pretty much just the way it is now. Having spent 18 years maintaining it for "the next owner", I just want to enjoy it!

My finishing touch is I just sent the C6 Z06 calipers and rotors I bought two years ago to be powder coated. I think I'll get to the fronts this winter. The rears and the cost of the Street Shop rear conversion kit may have to wait a while longer.

Best regards.
1991 Blk/Blk #864
Founding Member #255
Marc Haibeck Follower !

Last edited by HIZNHRZ; 01-02-2016 at 09:54 AM.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #20
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIZNHRZ View Post
My finishing touch is I just sent the C6 Z06 calipers and rotors I bought two years ago to be powder coated. I think I'll get to the fronts this winter. The rears and the cost of the Street Shop rear conversion kit may have to wait a while longer.

Best regards.
Glad to see you moving forward with the next logical mod - brakes!