ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-03-2016   #11
rush91

Default Re: ZR1 Pricing.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette73 View Post
A lot of time I will search various websites and see how the market value of the C4 ZR1 is ....Basically I find sometimes a variance in pricing.....Example,I see a dealer in Florida with a white 91 with 56,000 miles,for $32,999.....Car looks nice plus the add says it has a chip and a cat back exhaust where it brings the horsepower to 425.Now, I don't know about you but I don't know many cat back exhausts and chips that bring the car an additional 50 horse....My opinion car is priced very high......

I watched some of the auctions at Barrett Jackson recently and did not see any ZR1s.......I would think that a fine example ZR1 would fetch good money there..Lets face it, I saw a 80 turbo Trans am Black I believe 19,000 miles go for 100,000 dollars.....Also saw a tenth anniversary Trans Am with 243 miles sell for an incredible amount of 170,000 dollars..I'm like, these people serious? Now, are these cars worth the money? Just goes to show you, it's worth whatever a person is willing to pay.......

From what I have seen I see pricing in the mid twenties for nice examples of 90-92 cars......93-95 command more....Of course there are the few examples of real low mileage cars where as the asking price is over forty grand....

Moral of the story? Maybe sell the car at Barrett Jackson...

I watched and recorded that whole Barret Jackson auction, did my eyes play tricks? I didn't see one C4 ZR-1 go across the block. I do remembering seeing a 1996 red convertible LT-4, it went for around 25k.... The last ZR-1 I remember seeing on Barret Jackson was late last year. It was a 1990 with under 10,000 miles.It was a Steel Blue color, making it a very rare ZR-1. The announcers always mention how they are a forgotten Corvette, with amazing performance. But those of us who own one know this!!!

I did nothing but look at ZR-1's for over 2 years. And in that time, the prices have stayed pretty much stayed where they are at now. A person is going to pay good prices for a clean,low mileage 93-95 Z. And if it is a 1993 40th Anniversary Ruby, those seem to be the one collectors want. Those and any low mileage 93-95, with low production colors. Hell, any low mileage ZR-1, no matter the year, will start in the 30k range. If I was made of money, I would have no problem paying over 30k for a ZR-1. Especially if it was a registry members car.

I did my fair share of looking at ZR-1's, and being on a budget, after some looking/ test driving / more looking,and tons of patience, I finally found my Z. I paid 20K for it, with 40,000 miles. It has it's share of issues. Needed new tires, the radio won't work but comes on. And the driver seat has a small hole in the side bolster. Purely cosmetic things, which I'm not making her into a trailer queen. So things that can be fixed over time. The major stuff, like injectors, coils, etc, had all been replaced. For 20k I got a very fast, extremely quiet ( which I love ), smooth as silk ZR-1. You get what you pay for or can afford, as with any cars. But having this site as a guide, knowing what other members tell you to look for, is the best piece of advice I can give anyone.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016   #12
d15b7

hey fellas! I too always watch with interest the BJ auctions -- not so much because I want to sell my ZR-1 (I really never plan on selling it -- it was my boyhood dream car!!) but because I like seeing all the cool cars that many I remember seeing in the high school parking lot (for pennies haha). one needs to remember that values on the cars seem to change almost overnight; take for instance the air cooled Porsche prices; 5 yrs ago late 70s and all 80s 'not special model' air-cooled 911s were nothing special in particular; now they are VERY strong money and still going up fast. 3 yrs ago I was offered to buy an '78 911 SC in very nice shape with 40k miles on it for $15k. I thought that was too much $$. ha. wow what a mistake. that's a $40k-$50k car now and going up. same is true of the late 70s early 80s Trans Ams now; 5 years ago perfect ones were $12k. this year at BJ two super low mileage Bandit editions (one a late 70s 400 4sp the other an early 80s 301 Turbo) went for $100k. (neither of those were the real movie car that did HUGE money). this is how the collector car market swings; it moves wildly and once the wave starts to surge on a model it can go FAST and BIG. no one can predict for a certainty what might happen, but I tend to think that in 10 years (or maybe less) the 'special' C4s will start surging (ZR-1s being the most special, with GrandSports being in there too, due to the one year only status).

the nice thing about our ZR-1s is that they truly are 'supercars' -- the performance in all aspects is still up there, even considering the 25 years of tech that has passed. those 70s/80s TAs? I've driven one -- and let me tell you - a late model Honda Accord V6 would school it lol.

just my observations and opinions. now if only this snow / salt would go away -- I'm aching to take my '90 out for a leg-stretching!!!
d15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016   #13
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

I heard a few of the ZR-1's sold cheap but they weren't in "great" condition.

A few ZR-1's have gone thru BJ, they were prepped right and either original or looked really NICE, have sold for good money.

C6 ZR1's are going for higher than market too...

My ZR-1 has over 84k miles on it, gets driven hard every time I get in it and will never sell it....

I'm not saving it for the next owner!!!

Lets enjoy!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016   #14
G-Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by d15b7 View Post
hey fellas! I too always watch with interest the BJ auctions -- not so much because I want to sell my ZR-1 (I really never plan on selling it -- it was my boyhood dream car!!) but because I like seeing all the cool cars that many I remember seeing in the high school parking lot (for pennies haha). one needs to remember that values on the cars seem to change almost overnight; take for instance the air cooled Porsche prices; 5 yrs ago late 70s and all 80s 'not special model' air-cooled 911s were nothing special in particular; now they are VERY strong money and still going up fast. 3 yrs ago I was offered to buy an '78 911 SC in very nice shape with 40k miles on it for $15k. I thought that was too much $$. ha. wow what a mistake. that's a $40k-$50k car now and going up. same is true of the late 70s early 80s Trans Ams now; 5 years ago perfect ones were $12k. this year at BJ two super low mileage Bandit editions (one a late 70s 400 4sp the other an early 80s 301 Turbo) went for $100k. (neither of those were the real movie car that did HUGE money). this is how the collector car market swings; it moves wildly and once the wave starts to surge on a model it can go FAST and BIG. no one can predict for a certainty what might happen, but I tend to think that in 10 years (or maybe less) the 'special' C4s will start surging (ZR-1s being the most special, with GrandSports being in there too, due to the one year only status).
I too, am familiar with the air-cooled Porsche market. Only because my 25-year-old son-in-law has had an '83 911SC for a couple of years now. Yep, the market is NUTS.

Yet, even though he loves his machine, he is a car enthusiast open to all types. It's a beautiful thing. He is the one who had me test drive a ZR-1 ('90 at first)… ending up with me buying the '94.

If one really wants the prices to go up on these rare ZR-1 beasts… is someone to treat Magnus Walker (youtube "Urban Outlaw") to a 'proper' ride. Show him what his home country of England helped to design.
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016   #15
KFoster

I got my ZR1 right after selling my 1984 gray market 930S. All steel factory car, not a dealer car. Wished I would have waited another year. Prices went insane. About three to four years ago you could get the 3.0 930s in the mid twenties. I have seen decent ones go for around $150k. In that same time frame, a Testarossa has gone from $45k to $150k and same for many Lambos. Ours will catch on I think. Really a good drivers car in my opinion. Fun without too much technical assistance. That 930 of mine was nuts. So light with good power, 330rwhp and 2900 lbs. Same thing, no computer help, really fun to drive. I think Edmunds was where I read it, but the ZR1 was in it's list of future collectables. My Pantera stayed in the $35k range for years, but is now double that in just the last couple of years. 911's pretty much jumped up in a year's time, which is overnight considering how old they are. I love cars and if I won the lottery I would buy a bunch of exotics with at least one more ZR1 on my list. Maybe two more. That way I could have a first and last year stock with one modified to hell and back.

Passed on: 1984 930S (gray market), 1988 Mustang Coupe Trooper car(drag)
KFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016   #16
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZR1 View Post
My ZR-1 has over 84k miles on it, gets driven hard every time I get in it and will never sell it....

I'm not saving it for the next owner!!!

Lets enjoy!

David

1994 Admiral Blue ZR-1 #150 81,000 miles
1994 Black Black ZR-1 #183 1,100 miles
Must be the black one you are saving for the next owner
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016   #17
BlackSheepz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
The most cost effective approach is to buy one already done rather than pay for the work later. As noted before, I would suggest one of the lower production later year cars to minimize depreciation or actually get some appreciation in a few years, not to mention minimizing maintenance..--Bob
It's a great point for sure Bob, and your Warp Ten is a beauty. Wish I'd had what you are asking when I was looking and I'd have bought your car in a heartbeat.

It's unlikely I'll ever actually pull the trigger on the 510 package though as awesome as it sounds. I also know that I'd want more power if I started down that rabbit hole. In fact most mods I'll likely do will be either the Electronic Cutouts or the Corsa (I can't decide) and a Haibeck chip. That will likely put me into happy Territory with the car for a long while, but we will see.

Like I said though, I'm not in this for making money. I hope I never have to sell the car, and if it starts jumping in value that's great but I'm going to keep driving it.
1990 ZR-1 #2530

1992 LT1 6 speed

Gone but not forgotten:
1988 Z52 4+3

BlackSheepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016   #18
GrayZ

My 1990 low production number #74 with Haibeck 500 hp and many other upgrades, for sale, 27k firm.
GrayZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016   #19
Bob Eyres

I'm in the "drive it, mod it, and don't worry about resale" camp. Seeing as I bought it 22 years ago for almost exactly 1/2 the original sticker price. It's been a lot of fun, but never a great investment. So what?
It makes sweet noise, and is fun to drive. But I do wish that a 500hp.version wouldn't cost over half the value of the car now.

I love those precious time capsules of former glory like the 67'/435hp cars, and the L88's, but owning one of those would be a burden, and the very value would be an impediment to having fun on the road.

I think that way too many of these C4-ZR-1's were made to ever be a rare collector's item in my lifetime. I'll just fully enjoy the experience, anonymity, and driving fun it has to offer.

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016   #20
XfireZ51

These are amazing cars for the money. If anyone can come up w a car available w similar performance in the 20k range, I'd love to hear about it. Its been 9 years now since getting into a ZR-1 and I am still not tired of it. Clearly have put way too much money into it for its market value but all that doesn't matter when I drive it. Unless I am w the other FBI guys, I never see another ZR-1 on the street w me. The C4 ZR-1 does have a bit of a cult status among people who know cars, and when you're out there they will give u a thumbs up, or some sign of approval. And plenty have discussed on this forum how simple mods make the performance of this car quite respectable even 25years later. I just don't know what other car is going to give you the bang for the buck this one does.
It is just so capable.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote