ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-18-2015   #1
MuRCieLaGo

Default Few problems on a ZR-1 I'm looking at.

Hello guys,

I just went to see a ZR-1, and on my way (9 hours ride), the seller called me to tell me that the alternator just failed. I decided to continue my ride anyway, to see the condition of the car. Here are the problems:

1. Failed alternator
2. Service Ride Control Light (is it hard to fix, usually?)
3. Brake light is on
4. Front left fender - wrong battery size (too big) was installed, so the fender is offset compared to the driver's door. I hope it hasn't been there for too long...
5. Muffler is not perfectly straight, I wonder if it is a quick fix...
6. The gap from the fender to the rear tires, on both sides, was different. Maybe it is because the car was parked sideway on a very small hill, but I'm not sure. The rear right shock had a color (don't remember which color) and left one was black.
7. The rear bumper was a bit offset compared to the rear left fender, so we could see the shadow going on the fender on a sunny day. I really don't know what this one could be...

Can you please give me your opinions guys? I can't say anything about transmission and engine, except that on idle it seemed to be perfect.

Thanks!
MuRCieLaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015   #2
We Gone

Default Re: Few problems on a ZR-1 I'm looking at.

If the car is priced accordingly and your willing to fix the issues.

1. Failed alternator..Easy fix but why
2. Service Ride Control Light (is it hard to fix, usually?)Could pricey
3. Brake light is onNot good you will at least have to go thru the complete system
4. Front left fender - wrong battery size (too big) was installed, so the fender is offset compared to the driver's door. I hope it hasn't been there for too long...Another easy fix
5. Muffler is not perfectly straight, I wonder if it is a quick fix...Find out why?? may be just needs adjusting
6. The gap from the fender to the rear tires, on both sides, was different. Maybe it is because the car was parked sideway on a very small hill, but I'm not sure. The rear right shock had a color (don't remember which color) and left one was black.Should have yellow shocks this may be why the SRC light is on..Not uncommon for a C4 not to sit level
7. The rear bumper was a bit offset compared to the rear left fender, so we could see the shadow going on the fender on a sunny day. I really don't know what this one could be... get under the car and look for any damage

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015   #3
MuRCieLaGo

If the car is priced accordingly and your willing to fix the issues. White 1991 26,000 miles 13,200 USD clean title.

1. Failed alternator..Easy fix but why It will be fixed next time I go take a look. I also wonder why it failed, I hope it is just a regular break.
2. Service Ride Control Light (is it hard to fix, usually?)Could pricey I thought it would be one of the cheapest fix, can I do it myself?
3. Brake light is on Not good you will at least have to go thru the complete system But still, nothing major there I guess?
4. Front left fender - wrong battery size (too big) was installed, so the fender is offset compared to the driver's door. I hope it hasn't been there for too long...Another easy fix Easy fix if the fender hasn't been bent!
5. Muffler is not perfectly straight, I wonder if it is a quick fix...Find out why?? may be just needs adjusting Yes, this fix doesn't bother me too much...
6. The gap from the fender to the rear tires, on both sides, was different. Maybe it is because the car was parked sideway on a very small hill, but I'm not sure. The rear right shock had a color (don't remember which color) and left one was black.Should have yellow shocks this may be why the SRC light is on..Not uncommon for a C4 not to sit level Not uncommon? Very ugly, I don't want that on mine. And I'm pretty sure it affects the stability of the car...
7. The rear bumper was a bit offset compared to the rear left fender, so we could see the shadow going on the fender on a sunny day. I really don't know what this one could be... get under the car and look for any damage What kind of damage? This problem bothers me the most, even if it is not offset by much.

Thanks a lot We_Gone!
Old 10-18-2015   #4
32valvesftw

As always I guess it depends what your looking for, those easy things to fix were easy to find, live with the car for a few months and there may be a number of other issues that arise. Just sayin'
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015   #5
C4Ray
Banned
BANNED

Walk away from this lemon!
C4Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015   #6
We Gone

At that price none of the issues are major deal breakers. All things that can be fixed. best if you can do them!

The front gill (covering battery) is fiberglass and should flex back

The brakes could just be a bad master cyclinder, but would be a good time to go thru them.

The SRC will need to be checked out I would bet the black shock does not have the gear on it so that could be the issue.

The bumper could also just need to be adjuster.

The rear not level side to side, I have seen many that are 1/4 to 1/2 off.

Do a search on all these issues and you will find many topics to help make your decision.

1990 Red/Red #1473
Old 10-18-2015   #7
MuRCieLaGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valvesftw View Post
As always I guess it depends what your looking for, those easy things to fix were easy to find, live with the car for a few months and there may be a number of other issues that arise. Just sayin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Ray View Post
The car had a bunch of dust on the top. It needs love. The guy works on a Mitsubishi 3000 GT project in his garage (major wtf there, owns a ZR-1 and plays with a gay Mitsubishi). Paint is clean, but faded. Needs a good buff, it shows the amount of love this car had.

I don't think it's a lemon though. He started the engine and it started like a brand new V8...
Old 10-18-2015   #8
MuRCieLaGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
At that price none of the issues are major deal breakers. All things that can be fixed. best if you can do them!

The front gill (covering battery) is fiberglass and should flex back

The brakes could just be a bad master cyclinder, but would be a good time to go thru them.

The SRC will need to be checked out I would bet the black shock does not have the gear on it so that could be the issue.

The bumper could also just need to be adjuster.

The rear not level side to side, I have seen many that are 1/4 to 1/2 off.

Do a search on all these issues and you will find many topics to help make your decision.
Thank you very much We_Gone,

I didn't know the front "fenders" were made of fiberglass, I thought it was some kind of metal.

To me, the 2 major problems are the rear not level and the rear bumper that might need an adjustment. The question is why it would need an adjustment...

What do you think of the price We_Gone? Interior is a 8.5-9/10, got 3 tops (copper, white, smoked), OEM 1995 rims. Weatherstrips also need to be changed (didn't mention it because I don't have any question with that issue).

Last edited by MuRCieLaGo; 10-18-2015 at 04:24 PM. Reason: English mistakes
Old 10-18-2015   #9
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Ray View Post
$13k for a very low mileage ZR-1 with possibly easy-to-fix problems? Sounds like it might be worth looking into.

MuRCieLaGo, I think it mainly depends on if you are willing to take your time fixing the issues. You might end up with a supercar without spending a lot of money.

On the other hand, if it will be your "main" car that can't be on jack stands for extended periods, this might not be a good buy for you.

The ride control could be pricey to make it work like original, but there are less expensive options (like, put regular C4 shocks on).

The front lower fenders actually have slotted holes, so that might be a 5 minute fix.

Maybe you can do some research to see who has owned the car and learn more about its history.

Maybe you can convince the guy that the fixes are substantial and he should lower his price.

My '91's ride height is not even in the rear. This winter I plan to look into that. I'm pretty sure there can be adjustments made.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015   #10
We Gone

Sent you a PM. Sometime you get a lot of negativity but than everyone has an opinion.

1990 Red/Red #1473