ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-18-2023   #11
FormulaReed

Default Re: Still chasing poor running

I?ve kicked around the idea of sending it to Marc, but to be honest, my car is kind of a beater. I tried giving it to a shop here in the PNW but they couldn?t get it to skip a beat. When I picked it up, the owner commented that it ran really well? so I?m afraid that he?d get it and it would run great.

I did have Marc check out the ecm, and I?m not happy about spending the money for a good one, but I?d rather spend the money and just eliminate it as the culprit.
FormulaReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023   #12
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaReed View Post
I?ve kicked around the idea of sending it to Marc, but to be honest, my car is kind of a beater. I tried giving it to a shop here in the PNW but they couldn?t get it to skip a beat. When I picked it up, the owner commented that it ran really well? so I?m afraid that he?d get it and it would run great.

I did have Marc check out the ecm, and I?m not happy about spending the money for a good one, but I?d rather spend the money and just eliminate it as the culprit.
I've seen quite a few "Beater" ZR-1s in Marc's shop over the years. Kind of like the rat rod concept. Rough on the outside, but reliable and running like a scalded cat. Some owners really don't care so much about how the car looks, just want it to run very well.When I first got my '95 in 2012 the first thing I did was send it to Marc for a thorough going over. It only had 19k miles but needed a lot of TLC. He found lots of things I never would have even thought to ask about. Ran perfectly after that for the years I owned it. Even more fun once I had Marc do his 510 HP package, but that is another story.....Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023   #13
-=Jeff=-

you may be surprised on what Marc might find. Might be a good idea if the issue cannot be found.
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023   #14
FormulaReed

Update: I bought another ecm and installed it yesterday. Today, I drove the car for about an hour to an autocross, made 4 runs, and made it home. Car ran great the whole time.

It sure feels good. Made great power, not one hiccup. I ran it hard and it was hot. This was close to the same conditions that it failed in last time. It was hotter today, but it didn?t make 2 runs before failing and I barely made it home.

Cheers,

Reed
FormulaReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023   #15
WARP TEN

Congratulations on getting it working right. I presume that when you said it didn't make 2 runs before failing and you barely made it home that you were talking about the previous time, not with the new ecm. Anyway, hope you can continue to enjoy it. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote