ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 11-03-2013   #11
efnfast

Default Re: I need some advice on selling a vehicle online, and shipping it to a buyer please

But that leaves the other guy with the same dilema. You've got his money, he ain't got no truck.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #12
icarus-54

Default Re: I need some advice on selling a vehicle online, and shipping it to a buyer please

money first--truck second,thats how it works
1990 Zr-1 #361
1991 GMC Syclone (built)
1993 GMC Typhoon (stock)
1993 GMC Typhoon (street)
1992 GMC Sonoma GT
1928 Model A pick up
icarus-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #13
efnfast

That's great for the seller, but if I was the buyer, I don thin so.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #14
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
That's great for the seller, but if I was the buyer, I don thin so.
In this case the "buyer" seems to have requested the transaction go in this order and he's pretty much declined the inspection etc. I believe that the "certified" that FU mentions is likely acceptable OR the "bank money order" - both have significant confirmations that can be invoked.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #15
alwayscode390

I decided it would be money transfer only if I ship.

I would take a cashiers check in person, but only after verifying it with the banks.

I have taken "walk around" videos for these people ... so they can feel like they are getting to see the vehicles themselves. I also have taken specific pictures.

Nobody has pulled the trigger yet , and I am going to keep the auctions "in person only" ... but entertain offers of shipping if people request it.

They MUST agree the sales are AS-IS and that they declined seeing the vehicle in person themselves.

My ads are EXTREMELY detailed , LOL. I try to be as honest as possible. I don't want to deal with ANY after-sale issues for them or myself.

Thanks guys! ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #16
John Boothby

I was selling a Harley a few years back and it was suggested to me to have a third party handle the transaction. Kind of like an "Escrow". There are services out there that specialize in this.
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #17
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
I am selling a vehicle on Ebay , and the ad states " must pick up in person , pay in person, and sign the paperwork in person ".

I found a potential buyer that cant fly out here , and is trying to get me to ship the vehicle. I understand its hard to justify the costs, the time away from work and pets, ect.

My biggest worry is getting paid, shipping the truck ... then the payment getting yanked back. I have heard some cashiers checks are so good when they are faked that the bank accepts them ... deposits the money ... then DAYS afterwords its caught and the money gets taken back.

Do you have any advice for me?

I am thinking :

Payment by bank transfer , sign title and send with adult signature and tracking by USPS , paypal the $500 deposit ... and have them pay all shipping and transfer fees. How do I get them to sign the little stub at the bottom of the title so I can give it to the DMV as proof of transfer and the bill of sale for a tax credit?

Can I fax a copy of the stub and paper, then have them notarize the fax and have it sent back to me even though it isn't the original copy of the stub ... or should I send that paperwork with the title and have it overnighted to them and back to me?

Once I get all the paperwork and the payment clears, then the vehicle goes?

Are money transfers DONE once completed, or is there a chance to get the money reversed somehow?

THANKS! ---
I don't know if I am too late on this but in my retirement I actually work at a car dealership selling BMWs and MINIs. As you might expect we run in to this all the time, especially with out of state deals. We always require a FED Wire Transfer, not an ACH wire. No exceptions. A Fed wire is good funds when it arrives; an ACH wire can sometimes be reversed. Your bank would understand all this. And we never accept cashier's checks from an out of state bank. To hard to chase if there is a problem. Once you get a Fed wire you should be OK, and at that point you sign and send the title. We also require that a buyer arrange his own shipping.
When I sell a car personally I have the other party sign a bill of sale with VIN and price and detailing that once I receive the funds via wire I will send the title. When I buy a car personally I write up a detailed description of what he has told me about the car and the terms of the deal and have him sign it in advance of my sending a wire. Still some risk but I did it with the 95 last year and it worked out fine. Hope that helps. -- Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 11-07-2013 at 06:33 PM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #18
alwayscode390

I was looking into the ESCROW thing, but I don't want to have to deal with getting the truck back after its been shipped and who knows how it was test drove or what was done to it until it gets shipped back. I don't want to deal with any of that ... seems like it could be a big mess. I would rather hold out for IN-PERSON in that situation.

BOB , that was PRICELESS information ... you may have saved me a lot of headache by sharing that. THANKS! ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #19
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
I was looking into the ESCROW thing, but I don't want to have to deal with getting the truck back after its been shipped and who knows how it was test drove or what was done to it until it gets shipped back. I don't want to deal with any of that ... seems like it could be a big mess. I would rather hold out for IN-PERSON in that situation.

BOB , that was PRICELESS information ... you may have saved me a lot of headache by sharing that. THANKS! ---
Always glad to help if I can -- Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote