ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-01-2014   #21
WVZR-1

Default Re: INFL RST light came on today in the rain , seat belt light too ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
I have found two replacement sensors while searching.

Both are part number 10177901 .

One is yellow and one is black ... the black one has a longer cord , and says FORWARD with an arrow away from the cord, the yellow says FORWARD with an arrow towards the cord.

Is one for the passenger and one for the driver side?

Also, they all say years different than 1990 with the same part number ... is 90 different than the 91-95's?

Thanks! ---
The connectors for the '90 are a one year only style and connect to the DERM with a three terminated "barrel" connector. In '91+ cars the DERM changed and the connector became a DELPHI typical automotive connector. I've never seen where they've been interchanged but I do recall seeing the '90 sensors posted for sale with the DELPHI style connector. When a '90 DERM required service I believe the accepted procedure was to use a '91+ DERM, a '91 steering wheel, '91 SIR bag and I would expect the sensors to match BUT I've never seen that addressed in a single GM document. I've never seen a document that mentioned changing the connector on the '90 to match the service DERM either. Actually the terminology and function for the '91+ is different for each side and so I believe there's no using the later on a '90 car.

The steering wheel, SIR bag, is well documented and I imagine that when there were deployments and service required they were dealt with on a one on one situation. I've never actually looked for documentation so it could be out there.

The '90 sensors are equal length and the harness from the DERM to each location was a correct length.

10177901 is a '91+ part number with DELPHI terminals for the LH side and is noted as a Forward Discriminating Sensor, a 10177902 is for the RH side and is noted as the Forward Arming Sensor. The '90 part number is 10094613 and is for of course a quantity of 2.

The '90 TSB for corrosion and service is here:

http://zr1.net/forum/showpost.php?p=157442&postcount=4

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-01-2014 at 03:32 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #22
scottfab

Even thought links to a pictorial on repairing the SIR (INFL REST) issue are broke for now. Here is one pic from that procedure.
It show the surface prep around the sensor.

Buying new sensors should not be necessary. The rain you were in aggravated the corrosion issue. A quick test of this theory is to back out the mounting bolts a turn or two the re-tighten. Then clear the code and test. This is NOT a permanent solution however. The permanent solution is to clean and prep the surface and use dielectric grease on reassembly.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #23
alwayscode390

You guys are great, thanks for the links / part numbers / and information!

I appreciate it and feel a lot better about attempting to fix the situation now! ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #24
Z06scentair

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
You guys are great, thanks for the links / part numbers / and information!

I appreciate it and feel a lot better about attempting to fix the situation now! ---
Nate,

It's not a bad job the drivers side is a breeze......passanger side not so bad! Have fun
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #25
alwayscode390

I'm pretty sure its the drivers side , since I am getting the "seat belt" light too.

I went to install a battery a month ago and there was water puddled up around the frame ... so I can see why this is a problem on our cars.

I may as well try my Tech 1a for the first time too , I haven't tried it yet. HAHA! I always stub my toes doing things the first time ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote