ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-03-2013   #1
alwayscode390

Question Is there a preferred OBD1 scan tool for our group? ---

I figured I should purchase a OBD1 scan tool since I just read that jumping the ALDL connector doesn't work for ECM codes through the dashboard on the ZR-1s (lt5's).

Is there a preferred brand, or should I just get the cheapest one I can find that reads AND deletes codes?

Thanks ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Is there a preferred OBD1 scan tool for our group? ---

If you can find one an old school tech 1a only because it can run GM specific tests the other newer scanners can not
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #3
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
I figured I should purchase a OBD1 scan tool since I just read that jumping the ALDL connector doesn't work for ECM codes through the dashboard on the ZR-1s (lt5's).

Is there a preferred brand, or should I just get the cheapest one I can find that reads AND deletes codes?

Thanks ---
Where did you read doesn't read codes through dash? This reads ECM & CCM:

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/

I may be selling a Tech1 soon and it's certainly the preferred I believe. I thought you had Diacom?
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #4
alwayscode390

Arrow Re: Is there a preferred OBD1 scan tool for our group? ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
If you can find one an old school tech 1a only because it can run GM specific tests the other newer scanners can not
That's REAL nice, but pretty pricey .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
Where did you read doesn't read codes through dash? This reads ECM & CCM:

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/

I may be selling a Tech1 soon and it's certainly the preferred I believe. I thought you had Diacom?

I actually read it in the link you just posted under the paragraph " CCM INTERROGATION PROCEDURES "

*** 6 paragraphs down it says "With LT5 engines, the automatic or manual sequence will not display the ECM codes. A scanner must be used. All other codes will be displayed."

I have Datamaster , but I am not sure it deletes codes ... and I want a hand held so I don't have to lug my laptop to the car.

Is that link wrong or am I reading it wrong? ---
Old 02-03-2013   #5
alwayscode390

Everything I am seeing for sale on Ebay shows stuff that you plug into your computer anyway.

Do they not make hand held OBD1 scanners like the OBD2 stuff out? I bought an obd2 scanner for $25.

This looks to be the cheapest hand-held $120+ :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Equus-Innova...bde854&vxp=mtr ---

Last edited by alwayscode390; 02-03-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2013   #6
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
That's REAL nice, but pretty pricey .

I actually read it in the link you just posted under the paragraph " CCM INTERROGATION PROCEDURES "

*** 6 paragraphs down it says "With LT5 engines, the automatic or manual sequence will not display the ECM codes. A scanner must be used. All other codes will be displayed."

I have Datamaster , but I am not sure it deletes codes ... and I want a hand held so I don't have to lug my laptop to the car.

Is that link wrong or am I reading it wrong? ---
I haven't used the DIC procedure for maybe 3 years but I don't recall it not working. You might want to just go through the procedure on "your" car to confirm. I know I used it to compare Tech1 reports in the CCM and I would have thought I used the ECM also. One possibility could be that the '94 and '95MY cars won't respond but they list ECM codes for '90 - '93MY's in the summary.

What about the LTPWS light issue?

I'm not familiar with the Scanner you've linked but the seller doesn't mention "clearing"! It might very well but I'd just try the DIC first. Once you get a handle on it it's quite capable and fast!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-03-2013 at 12:30 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #7
alwayscode390

I will try the DIC , it sounds like a real neat option.

It snowed yesterday ... haven't had a chance to start the car up and drive it yet ---
Old 02-04-2013   #8
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Datalogging can be done via a laptop and specific tuning software, e.g., TunerCat and others.

That said I keep my AutoXray scanner in the cubby hole behind the seat; ready at a moment's notice to scan either my Z or someone elses.

Amazon has the AutoXray AX6000 on sale right now for $303.xx The AX6000 does OBD-I,II, & the enhanced OBD-II after 2008.

Mine is an older discontinued model which requires software to display/graph sensor results. I'm not familiar with the features of the 6000 series, and the newer models may have some more advanced display, e.g., graphing (?)

Without a doubt, if you want to get into tuning and burning your own calibrations, then software and a loptop would be the way to go. I bought the scanner because it was relatively cheap and I could leave it in the car - ready to go at a moment's notice. So... Far as recommending one or the other, I lean toward a small laptop. However, whether it is a laptop or a scanner, it will nail problems in a fraction of the time it takes to run to your computer and post a "what would cause ......?" question

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013   #9
Corbusa

I purchased the Innova 3140 but havent tried it yet.. Anyone have one ? any info ? I also plan on ordering some downloads for my laptop and use it also.
Corbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013   #10
alwayscode390

How does something like this handheld work (Ford/GM dual reader) ?

The package doesn't say it clears the codes, but the seller claims it does in the description:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MW-7148-GM-F...8aa7f2&vxp=mtr