ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-20-2013   #11
WVZR-1

Default Re: My car looks lowered, how do I tell how? ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
Thank you Schrade!

So I am looking for a measurement of "J" from the bottom of the door hinge to the ground?

Sorry but I don't understand the model number (07 or 67), or what suspension I am looking for (1 or 7) .

This is the reason I think mine is lowered, I have seen MANY pics of stock 90z's that look like this:
There's not much that you can actually measure "except" to compare the cars present stance to what "WAS" delivered. 07 is a coupe, 67 is a 'vert. You can use the points j and k to a level floor to compare side to side the present stance of your car. Everyone of us are dealing with suspension components (springs) that are 17 to 23 years old, the published figures for j and k are for "prime" vehicles which were "near new" or put back to that condition, they're also in a very controlled state, tire pressures, sizes, fuel load and accessories. The FSM "numbers" would be "reference" only.

The j and k references are from the floor to the bottom of the rocker (not the molding) at that particular point of the car. J is from the center of the front axle and k is from the center of the rear axle. j is just rearward of the hinge pillar.

The hood wheel openings and the quarter wheel openings are often used for reference and that's actually a mistake that is made. There's considerable differences possible car to car - many reasons.

All ZR-1 packages are FE1* and the reference to FE7 would be for the Z07 cars etc.

*This is actually an error on my part '90 & '91 are FE7 cars and '92+ are FE1 cars. The rear spring remained the same code.

The FSM also mentions I believe two FE1 springs, yellow and green - the rear shim stack is different for each. I've never seen a color code on a ZR-1 spring and never seen a reference for the codes that corresponded to the color codes. I've never looked at great length either. You or I are pretty much dealing with "what's there"!! No reason to do all that research - none what so ever!

I mentioned measuring the shim stack that is in your particular car - it's where I'd start if I were interested.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-21-2013 at 08:23 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #12
alwayscode390

Awesome points WVZR-1 ... I appreciate that advice, and will take it for what its worth

I'll get the car on a level ground and make sure all the pressures are equal ... then take a couple measurements, and post them later. I cant get under the car right now, but I will measure the shim stack the next time I am under it ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #13
mike100

I'd be interested in somebody milling poly shims to mirror image match the triangular lowering wedges so one doesn't have to scrap a spring with a cut bushing to raise the car back up to near stock height. That way one could add say about 3/8" to the bushing height and get the spring tensioned properly to hold the car up where I'd like it.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #14
Schrade

Thanks there Dave...

Looks like they're measuring where the rocker panels 'end', and the horizontal portion starts - seems like the jacking rails BEHIND the jack pointers would have been more reliable tho'...

I couldn't make heads or tails of the chart either (OR the diagram), except wheel hub centers.

Now I'm seeing that '1', and 'G' are dropped off of 'models', and only the last is for Z car ???

AND, it doesn't say anything about the jackpoints either - they're just proximal to 'J' and 'K' in the snappic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM7140.jpg (112.6 KB, 64 views)
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 09-21-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #15
alwayscode390

At point J (at the bottom of the curve where the door starts) my car is 5"

At point K ( where the door window goes horizontal at the a-frame ) my car is 5.5"

Looks like I am about 1/2 lower than Schrades car ( looks like his pic is at point K w/ 6").

Is your car stock height Schrade?

Sorry this took so long to do , LOL ... I went for a cruise today and stopped on level ground , then happened to have a tape measure with me ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699

Last edited by alwayscode390; 11-28-2013 at 05:29 PM.
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote