ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-20-2013   #1
alwayscode390

Unhappy INFL RST light came on today in the rain , seat belt light too ---

I had to drive my car in the rain today for about 10 miles , it was raining when I got in the car.

The "INFL RST" light came on about 3 minutes into my ride sitting at a red light. ( I hope that is spelled right, but I know you guys know what I mean ).

I noticed the SEATBELT light was on too , even though my belt was installed.

I guess that would make sense if INFL RST means what I think it means ... and has something to do with the airbag? (telling me to use my belt because its my only protection ) . There was no chimes/bells or anything.

I turned off the car when I got home, let it sit 15 seconds and restarted it. The INFL RST light came on, turned off for 1/2 a second and then relit and stayed lit, the seatbelt light was on again too. I turned it off for 45 seconds, locked/unlocked the doors and restarted it. Same issue. I have clicked and unclicked my belt a few times also, with no luck.

What can you tell me about this situation? Is there a way to disable the airbag and clear the code? Will I have to go to the dealer to get this fixed correctly ... and will they even have the part I need?

This may not be related to the rain, but the car never has issues and it did today ... it happened to be raining.

ONE OTHER THING, I HAD MY SOLAR "BATTERY TENDER" MAINTAINER plugged in, and this is the first time I drove it still installed. I drove my Viper like that no issues before , and the Tender Manual says its ok to do that. Not sure if this is related, but figured I should mention it.

I searched for INFL RST with no results , so I may be off on that.

Thanks Everyone for the help! ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #2
alwayscode390

Default Re: INFL RST light came on today in the rain , seat belt light too ---

OK I searched just for INFL and found some info.

I guess I have some corrosion on one of the body sensors or a bad sensor. People were talking code 16 ... how do you find out what code number you are throwing?

I have a tech 1 but have no clue how to use it , and the jumper paperclip thing didn't seem too confusing ( just time it right ).

If its just from the humidity in the air will it go out next time I start it on a warm sunny day , or am I forced to clear a code now?

Do you think the Battery Maintainer being plugged in had anything to do with it?

I see it IS the cause of my seat belt light too ---
Old 11-20-2013   #3
alwayscode390

For some reason I think I have seen this light stay on for about 5-10 seconds longer than the others before and then turn off ... is this possible?

I may be thinking of the service ride control light from warming up the car and not driving it though ---
Old 11-20-2013   #4
WVZR-1

When you have an SIR fault yes both lights are "steady on" - it's generally assumed that depending on the side that's at fault cleaning, sanding and sealing will allow you to clear the codes. The lights "most likely" (should NOT) go away until the codes are cleared. I'm sure you've an FSM so I'll leave you to research it. The procedure to clear can be a damn nuisance and I'm sure someone will mention "how they do it" - there's no procedure that doesn't come without aggravation unless you're just plain "lucky"! The code will indicate the side.

In the rain - yep that pretty much indicates your situation.

For a '90 only this TSB applies - I believe it's in the ZR-1 information but this link is one I've always remembered:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...d#.Uo0qLXAo41I

Tech1 information is included.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-20-2013 at 04:33 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #5
alwayscode390

How do I tell which code I am throwing? I have never had a code in the car since I purchased it.

Thanks for the GREAT link.

I just cant seem to grasp these codes you guys use yet LOL .

I am guessing SIR is the body code, FSM is a service manual, and TSB is a service bulletin. ---

Last edited by alwayscode390; 11-20-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-20-2013   #6
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
How do I tell which code I am throwing? I have never had a code in the car since I purchased it.

Thanks for the GREAT link.

I just cant seem to grasp these codes you guys use yet LOL .

I am guessing SIR is the body code, FSM is a service manual, and TSB is a service bulletin. ---
SIR - Supplemental Inflatable Restraint

You've got FSM and TSB -

sorry for the size of the for doing an Ohm check of the sensors but I've got a hard-drive out of my machine right now and it's the best I can do. The harness for the sensors if you need to access them is very easy in side the car. I'll try to get you some better snap-shots. Then you could actually remove the sensors and clean on "the bench"

You do NOT need to drop the lower dash hush panels to access and disconnect or do the diagnostic checks of the sensors. The left side is maybe 6 - 8 inches from the left side "kick-panel" and is in a "yellow sheath"- the connector is a "barrel type" 5/8" in diameter. The right side is maybe 14 - 16 inches from the right "kick-panel" towards the console. You may just need to reach under the front edge of the carpet to get a hold of it. Again it's in a "yellow sheath"!

Here's a good read for you:

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Inform...EST-light.aspx

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-20-2013 at 05:36 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #7
alwayscode390

Now THAT was good stuff! You make me feel like I can do this , thank you for your patience!

Are the abbreviations you use "stickied" somewhere? I would like to learn them so I can communicate with you all better, thanks again! ---
Old 11-20-2013   #8
Z06scentair

Ive read about both lights being on, however that was not the case with my car.

Only the INFL REST light came on and it was throwing a code 26 which is the passenger side sensor.

I removed the rocker panel, side panel, inner fender, and looked under the coolant tank. There is the sensor with a yellow group of wires coming out the back side. There are two bolts, a 10mm in the front ( piece of cake ) to remove. Then the rear is a 13mm ( piece of $hip ) to remove, it can be done.

Once it was loose i removed it and polished the frame where it mounts with scotch bright. Coated the frame and the back of the sensor with di- electric grease. Put the bolts back in, and cleared the code. No more light.

I went ahead and did the other side the same way really only have to remove the battery and cover and it was right there.
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #9
alwayscode390

Whats the difference between the 5 and 6 codes ( 15/16 being driver and 25/26 being passenger )?

I hope mine is on the driver side LOL ... for some reason I cant picture all those pieces you had to remove from the passenger side. Im sure if I looked I could point them out though.

Thanks! Makes me feel a lot better. I was reading that the 90' was the only year they forgot the di-electric grease and that's what causes all the corrosion issues.

Did anyone put the lock washers on at the mounting points? ---
Old 11-20-2013   #10
Z06scentair

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post

Did anyone put the lock washers on at the mounting points? ---
No need for lock washers.
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote