ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-29-2013   #1
alwayscode390

Post Help me piece together my Tech 1a please ... pics of what I currently have inside ---

I bought a Tech 1a and have been getting cartridges as I run across them. For some reason I cant find a power plug, or the correct plug from the Tech 1a to the ALDL (DLC cord?).

What are the part numbers for those two items? Do you know where I can find them? Anyone have them for sale?

I am about to sell the setup if its just going to sit around.

Here is what I have so far:

* Carry Case
* Instruction Manual ( which seems like hieroglyphics until I get a chance to actually test the unit )
* Tech 1a handheld unit
* Techline Power / DLC cord # TA00011A , which I think is wrong because it doesn't seem to connect to the handheld unit. Has a lighter power cord, 12 flat pin male connector, and 15 pin female connector. Has a Chevy dealer tag on it from 1993.
* 4 Master Cartridges:
- GM 81-92 ECM # TK02050
- GM 88-92 Body Systems # TK03040
- Chevrolet 90-92 EE Prom Data Version 2.0 # TK06032A
- GM 88-92 Brake # TK03030

* 3 Adapters
- 14 PIN DLC Self Test Adapter # 02001607
- GM 12/14 Pin ALDL Adapter # TA01140
- Phone style plug-in (short)

Let me know what else I should pick up too, thanks! ---

90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #2
mike100

Default Re: Help me piece together my Tech 1a please ... pics of what I currently have inside

Vetronix (now Bosch) sold me the data/power cable pair when I sent mine in for repair. I got the impression they didn't have too many new ones left. It was more than $100, but it was good to get because it is the part that gets the most use.

I would guess they have a stash of good used ones somewhere if you ask.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #3
alwayscode390

Default Re: Help me piece together my Tech 1a please ... pics of what I currently have inside

Awesome tip , I didn't know they are now Bosch.

I will try to find an email I can contact them at to ask.

I am sure once I start fiddling with the handheld it wont seem as confusing as it does to me right now. It just seems so archaic , lol

THANKS! ---
Old 11-29-2013   #4
mike100

Examining your original post, a little more clearly, it looks like you are only missing the portion that adapts it to the main unit. I'm away from mine right now so I can't give a more detailed instruction. The cable section you do have is the hard-to-get-new part though so take good care of it.
Old 11-29-2013   #5
alwayscode390

So I am missing the adapter that goes from the cable to the handheld , but I have the right cable?! That would be awesome!

My cable is in HORRIBLE shape though, so I still may try to find a better condition one.

This cable has the lighter power cord into the "power in" portion of the 12 pin side ... and nothing on the "power out" portion ... so I will need something to link the POWER OUT to the side of the handheld or will it power up through the adapter once connected?

I emailed BOSCH lastnight , no response yet ---
Old 11-29-2013   #6
alwayscode390

Here is a pic of my cord , it looks like the "power in" portion was broken off ... and the lighter power cord was "hardwired" into the 12 pin male side. The tag says "good spare" on it , so I am hoping it works.

The way its set up , do I need a cord from the "power out" to the side of the handheld or will the power be sent through the top of the handheld via the adapter when I get it?

My car just threw the INFL REST code , do I have the right cartridge to delete that code after getting the corrosion off of the frame sensor?

Thanks a TON!!! ---
Old 11-29-2013   #7
alwayscode390

That 12 flat pin male side where the power is hardwired, that goes into the ALDL under the dash , right?

So , I will need a male 15 pin ( cord side ) to male 26 pin ( handheld unit side ) adapter?

Do you know what part number that is?

I feel so close to getting this to work !!!

THANKS! ---
Old 11-29-2013   #8
mike100

The 12v lighter plug sockets into the hole shown and goes thru the missing cable to the main unit. I guess you could splice in 12v one way or the other if the socket is messed up.

As far as cartridges? maybe the 88-92 body systems covers the airbag? I don't recall off the top of my head if it is included with that group. The one thing to lookout for is the 3000003 'Mass Storage Unit'. That is just a much bigger array of memory with all cartridges in one unit. I think these were offered a little later on as memory technology progressed. There's one on ebay for $150 right now. It does come in handy to cover a wider range of cars and you can leave the collection of cartridges at home, for the most part.
Old 11-29-2013   #9
mike100

Don't feel bad...I had to spend $690 to get mine ship-shape. I have fixed 4 cars with it though- it definitely does neat tricks.
Old 11-29-2013   #10
alwayscode390

I was told the EEProm Data was the Mass Storage unit?

I am getting confused as hell ... my lighter cord , is hardwired into the "power in" plug ... so you are saying I am missing the "power out" cord that goes from that plug into the handheld unit?

I posted a pic above of the rigged setup I have. If you need more pics let me know and I will take them for you.

I should probably just sell this thing ... how much do you think everything I have should go for?

The actual hand held is in GREAT shape, no flaws at all ---