ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-20-2014   #1
alwayscode390

Exclamation I think I lost my alternator today, or its real close to crapping out. Belt #? ---

Im thinking I may have lost my alternator yesterday ... not sure yet.

Would it throw a code on the dash if it wasnt charging?

Usually my voltometer reads way higher than I expected it to ... around 15v (between the middle and 18v) , today its hovering around 12v (between 8 and the middle). Could the high reading be a warning sign of a failing alternator?

I smelled a weird smell from the passenger side front of the engine. Definitely an electric smell kinda like rubber and plastic. It was strong enough to notice with the hood down. I wasnt hearing any strange noises though yet.

It could just be that it was 95 degrees out today here ... but its definitely not usual. The battery is a 2 year old Odyssey, I dont think I am having issues there ... all the connections are tight.

What should I look for or keep an eye on? I thought I noticed a thin wire that was cut in half , but it looked to have been that way for a long time untouched around the passenger fan area ... lots of squirrels around here.

I was told to test the battery voltage before a start, while running, and after turning the engine off to see if its being drained? Also a magnetic charge to the back of the alternator if its charging, but thats not really possible in our vehicles.

Do you guys recommend I just take off the throttle body forward, or loosen the plenum/pull it off? Someone mentioned both things to me. Seems like its going to be the most pain in the butt alternator swap I have done?

I may as well throw a new belt on there too, is there a recommended brand? How about throwing me the number if you have it on hand.

I drive the car weekly. I guess I'll know sooner or later if my battery gets drained LOL.

Here is the alternator I was thinking of replacing it with, a 200amp rebuilt Bosch unit. Does this seem like a good choice, the price is reasonable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Alternat...aaf58d&vxp=mtr

Just making sure but the 91-95's use the same alternator as the 90', right? This one says it is compatible with my 90, but lists it as a 91-95.

Thanks for the advice ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014   #2
Franke

Default Re: I think I lost my alternator today, or its real close to crapping out. Belt #?

Sounds like your alt is going bad since you noticed an electrical smell and the voltmeter is reading lower. Put a digital voltmeter on the battery while the engine is running and see if you get at least 13.5 volts. if its around 12 volts chances are the alt is dead. Also when you throw a larger load at it like your headlights see if the voltage drops even further. If it does then its time for an alternator. These cars don't like low voltage due to all the electronics on board. They also don't like higher than normal voltage due to alt diodes shorting. I once saw an alt put out almost 16 volts due to bad diodes. Boy were the headlights bright that night.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014   #3
alwayscode390

Default Re: I think I lost my alternator today, or its real close to crapping out. Belt #?

That will be the plan Franke ... thanks for your advice.

I'll test the voltage out next time I start her up , with the headlights too

Does that look like a suitable replacement that I posted up? I would hate to buy it and have it not fit for some reason , but I am pretty sure its just a higher amp internals with a stock housing ---
Old 06-21-2014   #4
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
Does that look like a suitable replacement that I posted up? I would hate to buy it and have it not fit for some reason , but I am pretty sure its just a higher amp internals with a stock housing ---
You need to watch the pulley diameters of the "off the shelf" replacements and quite frankly I believe you could have your original done on a bench locally for less and with likely parts of better or at least equal quality.

Do it yourself if you like. There will be the OE number on your original either 1101238 or 1101849 - there's little difference, maybe only the bridge rectifier.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014   #5
alwayscode390

Someone else I was talking to mentioned swapping the stock pulley and fan blade onto the new one if it looks like the one I posted above. Thanks for confirming that.

I think I will try the Good Year Gatorback belt #4060805 ... after searching, most guys thought it was the easier one to get one for some reason ---
Old 06-24-2014   #6
alwayscode390

I am interested in getting a fully new PowerMaster Alternator w/ 140 amp output.

These are the cs130 style , and we have the cs144 stock ... so I think its just going to be a smaller unit , correct?

Summit Racing says its compatible with the LT5 engine ... if the pulley is different in size I will swap that out like recommended.

Does it seem like this will work decently? I would hate to get the car torn apart and realize it wont work ... figured I would ask before I purchased it. Luckily Summit has an easy return policy.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pw...k-lt5-corvette

The larger units ( cs144 style ) are also $100 more w/ the same output for some reason. I figure the smaller unit should fit vs getting anything bigger ---

Last edited by alwayscode390; 06-24-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-24-2014   #7
alwayscode390

I just tested voltage at the battery while the car was running, and got 10.94V ... and now the "battery" check light is illuminated.

The alternator is now squeaking too.

My radio head unit wont even turn on with the car off and the ignition turned.

I guess its time for a replacement , but atleast now I know and feel confident. I wasn't sure the other day , I caught it right as it happened and didn't have a chance to drain the battery yet ---
Old 06-24-2014   #8
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
I just tested voltage at the battery while the car was running, and got 10.94V ... and now the "battery" check light is illuminated.

The alternator is now squeaking too.

My radio head unit wont even turn on with the car off and the ignition turned.

I guess its time for a replacement , but atleast now I know and feel confident. I wasn't sure the other day , I caught it right as it happened and didn't have a chance to drain the battery yet ---
Remove it today and get a local to probably have it ready for you tomorrow AM, install and go driving! I don't see a plus to your thoughts on the PowerMaster. The part # you posted is "chrome" - I certainly wouldn't think that to be the desired product.

I'd be very interested in your argument for the PowerMaster.

Which alternator is on your car now? I posted both in a post up a couple.

Now if it were a CS130D with the internal fan maybe there would be reasons to consider but I'd still wonder "why".

The PowerMaster CS144 for the ZR-1 isn't the same or even comparable output, it's 200/125 vs the 140/80 of the CS130. Another interesting observation is that in the PowerMaster applications they have no application for the CS130 for the ZR-1(LT5)

http://www.powermastermotorsports.co...GuideEbook.pdf

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-24-2014 at 11:03 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #9
alwayscode390

Thanks for the application guide link.

I think Summit must have been wrong with their information ... you saved me from buying the wrong one.

I need to stop thinking "cheap" and think quality.

The refurbished ones scare me , I don't want it to be 1/2 used parts and 1/2 new parts ... especially with how big of a pain in the butt the install is on these cars for an alternator.

I will be running 2 amplifiers for stereo stuff in the near future , so the 200 amp one seems like the best choice for me. I trust PowerMaster stuff, I have used them in the past with no issues for years.

Thanks again for picking my brain, you really help me see more rationally ... I like the way you think ---
Old 06-24-2014   #10
-=Jeff=-

When looking our LT5s use the Early style CS144. the Late Style CS144 will not fit.

I believe the correct pulley size that WV mentioned in one of my treads is 62mm which I am using now. I have a larger one and a smaller one ( which killed the last alt)

I rebuilt my own then the Brushes of it shattered and I think the rotor was also bad, when I replaced the rotor and brushes it still failed, so in an effort to get the car done (I needed it) I bought a reman unit. I have yet to buy a new regulator to try and see if that fixes the Alt ( might buy the rectifier too)and keep it as a spare until I can swap it ( I put a bigger Stator in it too)
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote