ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-25-2014   #21
WVZR-1

Default Re: I think I lost my alternator today, or its real close to crapping out. Belt #?

You need to establish a "plan" for the charge wire. You're doing a 200 AMP product and you mentioned some accessories so you've got to do something with the "charge wire".

I believe PowerMaster over does it maybe a bit but here's their thoughts and it is their product.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/charge_wires.html

It will be interesting if you post back with real charging numbers at the RPM's that they claim for their product. You mentioned having their product in the past and I don't know that I've heard many negative comments regarding it.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #22
alwayscode390

Default Re: I think I lost my alternator today, or its real close to crapping out. Belt #?

That makes sense and is definitely something I overlooked.

I wonder what gauge our stock charge wire is? Im hoping 6 gauge since our stocker is 124 amps, and that's what is recommended by Power Master, but it may be 8 gauge too.

Thanks for looking out for me WVZR-1 ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699

Last edited by alwayscode390; 06-25-2014 at 04:57 PM.
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #23
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
That makes sense and is definitely something I overlooked.

I wonder what gauge our stock charge wire is? Im hoping 6 gauge since our stocker is 124 amps, and that's what is recommended by Power Master, but it may be 8 gauge too.

Thanks for looking out for me WVZR-1 ---
I believe you'll find 8M but 8M is equivalent of 8AWG so I'd guess to actualy optimize the system you do need to look into it.
Old 06-26-2014   #24
alwayscode390

How long of a charge wire am I going to need? They sell them from 2ft to 12 ft.

Is the charge wire tucked through the engine where it is going to be hard to replace the stock one and run a new one ... or is it pretty much from the alternator to the battery around the engine block?

I found a 6 gauge kit that's 5ft long ... does that sound like the one? ---
Old 06-26-2014   #25
Schrade

Bunch of alternator pics here http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21259

Removal, breakdown, CS144 schematics, FIRE!!!, etc, starting post 141 - 159, 186 - 209

Sure is a bunch of 'Click n Scroll' - what a pain.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014   #26
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
How long of a charge wire am I going to need? They sell them from 2ft to 12 ft.

Is the charge wire tucked through the engine where it is going to be hard to replace the stock one and run a new one ... or is it pretty much from the alternator to the battery around the engine block?

I found a 6 gauge kit that's 5ft long ... does that sound like the one? ---
Do the wire "local" - you should have no issues accomplishing a replacement using just local options. The OE also has a fusible link so that needs to be considered in the "how do I replace"? An audio shop should be able to provide you with a proper fuse and holder for the charge wire. You won't find "fusible link" material for 6ga wire so the wise choice anyway would have been a fuse. How many AMP? I don't know that there's simple way to calculate the needs and discussions regarding such are certainly entertaining.

You could eliminate the charge wire from the battery jump block and send it directly to the battery using a different battery bolt/terminal combination. That's how we did some fleets with auxiliary lamps and power requirements. Again an audio shop or a fleet body builder in the vicinity could help you.

Here's a link to a MEGA holder and boots.

http://www.vteworld.com/content/elec...a/megafuse.php

here's ANL and this is what I believe you would find in an audio shop as a rule.

http://www.vteworld.com/content/elec...nl/anlfuse.php

This holder by LITTLEFUSE should be available at any auto parts store. ANY of them!

http://www.littelfuse.com/products/f...er/298900.aspx

This is the auxiliary bolt like we used for fleets. I've done hundreds of them. This is NOT where to buy but there's an installed image and also one of just the product:

http://www.prime4x4.com/shop/OffRoad...AccBolt001.htm

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-26-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2014   #27
Z51JEFF

When I replaced the belt a few years ago the first belt I had,an OEM part would not go on the car regardless of what I tried.I think I ended up using a Gates belt.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #28
alwayscode390

Arrow Re: I think I lost my alternator today, or its real close to crapping out. Belt #?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
Do it yourself if you like. There will be the OE number on your original either 1101238 or 1101849 - there's little difference, maybe only the bridge rectifier.
My stock one is a number 849, 120 amp version.

I got the Powermaster installed, I dont recommend it unless you are dead set on a 200amp alternator ... it took some modifications ---