ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-03-2014   #1
alwayscode390

Question Serpentine Belt Tensioner Pulley making noise ... replace just pulley/bearings? ---

I just put on a new belt, and now my serpentine belt tensioner pulley is making noise like the bearings are going out.

Its more of a rock crushing sound that's loud when the belt bounces off of it. My friend and I listened with a stethoscope and its definitely coming from the pulley itself.

It gets A LOT worse when the A/C is putting a load on it.

The tensioner isn't bouncing near as much with the new belt luckily.

Can I just swap out the pulley/bearing combo without replacing the entire tensioner?

I'm thinking this is all I need, what do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221008153201...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks! ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699

Last edited by alwayscode390; 07-03-2014 at 07:09 PM.
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #2
8cam

Default Re: Serpentine Belt Tensioner Pulley making noise ... replace just pulley/bearings? -

Just pull yours and send it to Marc for a rebuild. Easy job and piece of mind that it's done right.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #3
PhillipsLT5

Default Re: Serpentine Belt Tensioner Pulley making noise ... replace just pulley/bearings? -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cam View Post
Just pull yours and send it to Marc for a rebuild. Easy job and piece of mind that it's done right.
Correct
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #4
alwayscode390

How much does it cost? Does he make them hold more tension than stock? You think an entire rebuild is necessary after 44k miles? ---
Old 07-04-2014   #5
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
How much does it cost? Does he make them hold more tension than stock? You think an entire rebuild is necessary after 44k miles? ---
The amount of pressure on the belt depends on belt length and compression of the Belt Tensioner itself. You want enough slack to get the Belt over the Alternator Pulley when Belt Tensioner is fully compressed using a long 1/2 inch Socket wrench. You can start the compression process of the Belt Tensioner by using a heavy Broom Handle compressing the Belt Tensioner so you can engage the socket in the Belt Tensioner socket 1/2 inch socket hole provided.

$130 for Haibeck Accessory Belt Tensioner Rebuild Which is easiest for most....... Except for guys who want Bling

At 44K miles Belt Tensioner should be fine without rebuild. I have never rebuilt a tensioner on several ZR-1s but I have replaced the Belt Tensioner Pulley with this Billet Aluminum Pulley (On ALL LT5s) which has Belt Flanges like the one used in Marc Haibeck's Belt Tensioner Rebuild (Marc does not use a Billet Aluminum Pulley in his rebuild). This Billet Aluminum Belt Tensioner Pulley will give you just a bit more belt tension given the pulley is a bit (1/8 inch more or less) larger in diameter than a stock pulley.

As an aside......After removing the Serpentine Belt, remove the Belt Tensioner Bolt and Washer. Get hand under passenger side coolant manifold in front of alternator pulley and grab hold of Belt Tensioner Pulley. Lift Belt Tensioner up and sideways through slot under coolant manifold/Radiator Inlet Pipe (Passenger Side) while lifting coolant Radiator Inlet Pipe (Do NOT disconnect any coolant hoses). Use Red Loctite on Belt Tensioner Pulley Bolt.

See item #8 LT5 Added Systems

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-04-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014   #6
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
I just put on a new belt, and now my serpentine belt tensioner pulley is making noise like the bearings are going out.

Its more of a rock crushing sound that's loud when the belt bounces off of it. My friend and I listened with a stethoscope and its definitely coming from the pulley itself.

It gets A LOT worse when the A/C is putting a load on it.

The tensioner isn't bouncing near as much with the new belt luckily.

Can I just swap out the pulley/bearing combo without replacing the entire tensioner?

I'm thinking this is all I need, what do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221008153201...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks! ---
You can do the pulley "off the shelf" at "ANY" of your local auto parts stores. There's no need for anything other than if that's your only issue. You might consider the rebuild for an "off-season" maintenance procedure.

If you want to get really frugal I believe you could do the bearing only!
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

I replaced my tensioner pulley with one for an LT1 motor. It doesn't have the guide rims on the outside edges of the pulley - is rimless - but has been working just fine for 6 years and countless runs to 7k+ rpm.

As I recall, I bought the entire tensioner, but used only the pulley. As it turned out, the pulley wasn't the issue - it was the water pump after all.

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014   #8
alwayscode390

Thanks for all the options and pointers guys ---