ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-10-2014   #11
c4koh

Default Re: About to use my Tech 1a for the first time, pointers? ---

And I believe the main difference between the Tech 1 and Tech 1A is simply that the 1A (the later model) has the built-in telephone jack for RS232 (serial port) connection to something like a printer, PC (and so on). Other than that, I am not aware of any difference.

As mike100 just wrote, VIN J and the year (just 2 digits) is needed, that should get you into it as needed.

(if anyone though had any links to PDFs of the various cartridge functions, that'd be very, very nice... )
c4koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #12
tf95ZR1

So where did you guys get your Tech 1/1a's ?
Again, OBD II connector but OBD I system?
Boy, I bet I could REALLY screw things up with one
of these!
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014   #13
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf95ZR1 View Post
So where did you guys get your Tech 1/1a's ?
Again, OBD II connector but OBD I system?
Boy, I bet I could REALLY screw things up with one
of these!
With no intention of a thread hijack to the OP.......
Mine was purchased from a CF member in Canada and it has already crossed the boarder, so there may be a possibility I've have it during the weekend.
I may be wrong, but I'm almost sure it is still an OBD 1 connector and that you can purchase an adapter for OBD II if the kit doesn't have one.

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014   #14
alwayscode390

Roadster is right ... its an obd1 connector that can be adapted to obd2 but I am not sure how all that works.

I went out to try mine yesterday and I am having power supply issues. I think my cord has a short/broken wire in it. Now to find time to fix it or search for a new one!

It would power up and ask me the year if I held the cord just perfectly, but when I moved to punch the buttons in it would short in and out and never take past the 9 LOL.

I knew there was a reason I was waiting to go out and try it LOL. Finding parts for this thing can be frustrating! ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014   #15
92whiteZ

The Tech 1 is a very useful tool. Newer scan tools dont work as well for backwards compatibility.

The "Mass Storage Cartridge" is basically all the other cartridges combined like the ECM/Brakes/ABS/SIR etc.

I have the all the manuals on PDF somewhere but i think you can find them online as well. Very useful for finding out which adapter is required for each application. the adapters are critical for it work work as needed.

MIKE - this may be why your ABS scan isn't working. almost every individual system requires a specific adapter to function properly.

GENERAL NOTE: the main cable is known for failure. wires degrade or somehow lose connection at either the tool or OBD 1 side of the cable. Ebay is a good source for main cable but are "hit or miss". Have yet to come across anyone who "repairs" them so most people with Tech 1 tools have multiple main cables in anticipation of this happening.
92whiteZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014   #16
tf95ZR1

C4 FYI:

1994-1996 were "transition years"

------
94 & 95 ZR-1's OBDI with the OBDII port.
96 LT1 & LT4 are OBDII

Thanks, Jeff!

Last edited by tf95ZR1; 09-11-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Wanted 2
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014   #17
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92whiteZ View Post
MIKE - this may be why your ABS scan isn't working. almost every individual system requires a specific adapter to function properly.

Hmm, ok good- I do have an adapter, but it could be for an earlier abs system- (it times out on communication failure). someday I hope to try somebody else's combo of cord, adapter, tech1 to see where the problem is.

GENERAL NOTE: the main cable is known for failure. wires degrade or somehow lose connection at either the tool or OBD 1 side of the cable. Ebay is a good source for main cable but are "hit or miss". Have yet to come across anyone who "repairs" them so most people with Tech 1 tools have multiple main cables in anticipation of this happening.

Mine was bad- be sure to treat it right. Vetronix may not have them for sale anymore, but if they do it is more than a c-note. If it is only the 12v portion, you might be able to repair that since that portion of the cord is just two wires.

red replies above. also check the spring loaded fuse portion in the cig lighter adapter part.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #18
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf95ZR1 View Post
C4 FYI:

1994-1996 were "transition years"

------
94 & 95 ZR-1's OBDI with the OBDII port.
96 LT1 & LT4 are OBDII

Thanks, Jeff!
Yes, quite often the GM 94-95 stuff is referred to as OBD-1.5. In the LT1 cars the PCM's were actually used flash memory just like the 1996+ cars/trucks.

I have a buddy that used to do a lot of work with the Tech 1. He said that he would hook up the Tech 1, start it on a job, and then go outside for a cigarette. Things went much quicker with Tech 2 and OBD-2.

I tell ya, if the 2nd Generation LT5 got the green light, it really would have been cool.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #19
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
red replies above. also check the spring loaded fuse portion in the cig lighter adapter part.
And also make sure the cig lighter fuse is good. Many a time I have been flashing a PCM wondering why I cant connect to the PCM, only to find out that the fuse for teh cig. lighter is blown. If this is blown, on many cars, the OBD connector will also be dead.(not sure about C4 Y-bodies-but is true for many GM vehicles)

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #20
alwayscode390

I never realized that about the 94/95 Corvettes ... is that a Corvette thing only? ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote