ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2019   #1
irpearce

Default Starter motor failure

I think I have read every word on here (and elsewhere) regarding the dreaded no start. I have done all the corrections - purple wire, relay, direct wire from solenoid to be touched to battery positive- and it still won't start as soon as it gets hot. The starter throws when hot but does not crank. I had the starter motor rebuilt last year and it was OK for a while. I am in UK so am short of good resources.
It ALWAYS cranks strongly and starts when COLD, even after standing for two weeks so battery is fine (and only a year old). When hot I can usually get it to crank weakly (enough to start) by using jumper leads. My battery has 60AH and 550CCA.
The motor is out again and back with the starter company who I trust as experts. They confirm my view that the fault must be with the starter but they say that they cannot fault it on any test (as should be the case as it's barely done any work). They have sent it for a second opinion.
My question is - can anybody indicate what to look at in the starter itself so that I can pass this knowledge on.( or indeed any new suggestions)
This is ruining my enjoyment of this fine car.
irpearce is offline   Reply With Quote