ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-09-2012   #1
Route 66

Default GETTING A CODE 34 LTPWS

Some time back I took my wheels with tires mounted to a tire shop to have new tires installed. They broke one of the sensors on one of the back wheels. I called a chev dealer an had a new one for that wheel delivered. they installed it. I took my wheels home an installed them back on my car. Since then when I drive slow [ under 30 MPH] for about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile a service LTPWS comes up on the readout. then when I get to the highway an raise my speed to somewhere above 30 MPH the LTPWS light will go out like it should an leaves a code 34. I bought this car new an have been driving it the same way since I bought it. This never happened tell I replaced that sensor. So I bought another new sensor an replaced that one, GUESS WHAT doing the same thing. The code im getting is a 34 which is a left rear tire. That is one of my problems the other is I can't get the ECM to clear the 34 falt code. I have tried by removing the battery ground cable and waiting 10 min. that didn't work, I've tried by removing the fuse the repair manul said would clear it an that did not remove the falt.
I can't get the engine secondary to work tell I can clear this falt code. I'm not able to get my 405 hp! Has any one had this problem if so I would greatly appreciate your help with this. Thank You ..E
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: GETTING A CODE 34 LTPWS

When the installer installed the new bands did they install them 180 degrees from the vlave stem? You will need to use a scanner/code reader or a paperclip on the ALDL port to clear the codes.

Look at post #4 for some clearing the codes ideas

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....clearing+codes
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 03-09-2012 at 06:25 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #3
Route 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
When the installer installed the new bands did they install them 180 degrees from the vlave stem? You will need to use a scanner/code reader or a paperclip on the ALDL port to clear the codes.

Look at post #4 for some clearing the codes ideas

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....clearing+codes

Thanks GOLDCYLON I used a code reader and tried to clear the falt code useing it as instructed but nothing has worked. That is when I pulled the fuse listed in the instructions that the repair manul said to remove. Yes I made sure they were installed 180 degrees out. I don't understand why I can't clear the falt code.
Old 03-09-2012   #4
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Thanks GOLDCYLON I used a code reader and tried to clear the falt code useing it as instructed but nothing has worked. That is when I pulled the fuse listed in the instructions that the repair manul said to remove. Yes I made sure they were installed 180 degrees out. I don't understand why I can't clear the falt code.

Initally I would have said that you had a lazy sensor a problem in colder weather. However since you have replaced it twice (since breaking the original at the tire shop) with new units something wierd indeed is going on that I have not seen before.

Have you tried the simple paperclip method. Some scanners unless they are a GM Tech-1 cant spirit the codes out of the system where as a simple grounding with a paperclip can. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #5
Route 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Initally I would have said that you had a lazy sensor a problem in colder weather. However since you have replaced it twice (since breaking the original at the tire shop) with new units something wierd indeed is going on that I have not seen before.

Have you tried the simple paperclip method. Some scanners unless they are a GM Tech-1 cant spirit the codes out of the system where as a simple grounding with a paperclip can. GC

My main problem is I can't clear the falt. I would think that it could be cleared by removing the neg battery cable but it will not. It's got me up a tree. Thanks for your help. Anybody else have this problem?....E
Old 03-10-2012   #6
tomtom72

Hi E, the situation with the LTPWS is separate from the issue with your secondaries being locked out.

The check out the LTPWS I suggest going over to the NetReg site and click the "Maintenance" tab and then click the "How To" tab and it's separated by group headings.

The DTC 34 is a MAP code...at least it is on a 90 ZR-1, so I'm not sure if the DTC's have differing definitions for the 405 cars vs the 375 cars? I do know this: secondary lock out on a 90 is only if the DTC is an engine management system/component issue. I would say to run down the DTC number in the FSM.

Again, the only thing I do not know for sure is if the DTC definitions are the same for the 405 cars as the 375 cars. I may be barking up the wrong tree here ( what else is new! ) but if I'm not then your DTC could be a MAP issue.

In the 90 FSM: DTC34 = signal voltage low/high vacuum on MAP. Possible causes: hose is soft & sucks shut under heavy throttle. Oil flooding the hose or sensor. MAP sensor failure. See Pg A-54 in section 6E

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #7
Route 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Hi E, the situation with the LTPWS is separate from the issue with your secondaries being locked out.

The check out the LTPWS I suggest going over to the NetReg site and click the "Maintenance" tab and then click the "How To" tab and it's separated by group headings.

The DTC 34 is a MAP code...at least it is on a 90 ZR-1, so I'm not sure if the DTC's have differing definitions for the 405 cars vs the 375 cars? I do know this: secondary lock out on a 90 is only if the DTC is an engine management system/component issue. I would say to run down the DTC number in the FSM.

Again, the only thing I do not know for sure is if the DTC definitions are the same for the 405 cars as the 375 cars. I may be barking up the wrong tree here ( what else is new! ) but if I'm not then your DTC could be a MAP issue.

In the 90 FSM: DTC34 = signal voltage low/high vacuum on MAP. Possible causes: hose is soft & sucks shut under heavy throttle. Oil flooding the hose or sensor. MAP sensor failure. See Pg A-54 in section 6E

Tom
Thanks Tom I appreciate your help on this. But Im confused.
What Im referring to as a code 34 is on the dash screen when I plug the code reading tool in under the dash by the steering colum and turn the key on, the LTPWS will flash 3 times then 4 times. meaning 34. So Im calling it a 34 code. which is the left rear tire pressure sensor. I have been thinking that it is why I can't get my secondary power to work. Although You might have pointed me in the right direction. I did see a small amout of oil in the hose going to the MAP sensor and some in the plenum when I had it off. If the MAP sensor is flooded with oil Can it be cleaned and used or do I need a new one? Just a thought if my problem was with the MAP sensor shouldn't I get the 34 code from service engine soon flashing instead of a LTPWS
Thanks..E
Old 03-10-2012   #8
John Boothby

The owner's manual addresses the intermittant "SERVICE LTPWS" light. It can activate under 25mph or if near another car. It is not a faulty sensor. At least that is what my 90 OM states.
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #9
Route 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boothby View Post
The owner's manual addresses the intermittant "SERVICE LTPWS" light. It can activate under 25mph or if near another car. It is not a faulty sensor. At least that is what my 90 OM states.

Thanks John...I read that. One of the things Im having trouble with is I can't clear that 34 code from the ECM.
The car is setting in my shop not going anywhere. I try an clear the falt code but it will not go away. I go through the steps to remove it but it is still there.
Old 03-10-2012   #10
John Boothby

I understand that you do have a service manual? My SM for my 90 has on page/section 8D-36 CCM code 34 as a "Data Clock Circuit" open ciruit or shorted to ground. Could your problem be something other than a LTPWS or Secondary issue? Just a suggestion.
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote