ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-11-2021   #31
Erik

Default Re: Another Nice ZR-1 on Bat - 14k mile 1991.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiguy View Post
WOW! thank you for that breakdown. Thats is CRAZY $$$. Makes importing to Canada look cheap, right Erik?

I bet there are quite a few potential buyers eager to pick up 90's and 91's now.
Bad enough! We get killed my our Monopoly money dollar. A $25,000 usd car, was close to $42k by the time it landed here. Sure did a lot to narrow down my choices!

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021   #32
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Thanks Matt.
Very interesting post. I remember that the ZR-1 made some big waves in the European car magazines back then. It seemed more loved by a lot of them then it was by the American ones. There is likely a bunch of 45 year old guys who loved one then, but could never afford one. All of a sudden, they are available and have become a deal.

And yes, knowing German inspection standards, a stock vehicle will be much more desirable.
Ok so take my car for instance....Its a modified 91 ported heads, intake, cams, exhaust......Except for the headers and exhaust how could they tell if the car is internally modified ?
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021   #33
Matt B

Quote:
Thanks Matt.
Very interesting post. I remember that the ZR-1 made some big waves in the European car magazines back then. It seemed more loved by a lot of them then it was by the American ones.
Interestingly yes. Typically if a car comes from the US German magazines are, to phrase it nicely, "biased". Hardly an American car gets praised by local mags. Plus in the 90's corvette had the reputation of being pimp cars back than. BUT! The ZR-1 was (and is) appraised as being one of the best early 90's cars on earth. That means a lot... However still only very few people know it exists. As it was written before: only the chosen few could afford one so it's not a commonly known car like a K.I.T.T. Trans Am or A-Team van is.

Quote:
There is likely a bunch of 45 year old guys who loved one then, but could never afford one.
...just like me

Vette73 - internal mods are a story of their own... If you can't see it, it ain't there. But that doesn't mean it's legal. There is room for judgement and some exceptions, e.g. any modification that was done within the first 10 years (if I remember correctly) would be accepted. Can be engine tuning, as well. Also you can repaint a car as long as the color is an original one. Also it's possible to license an 80s Impala low rider as in the 80s it was (sort of) common. Tricky stuff. Thing is: as saving on tax is tremendous and classic cars are exempt from certain low emission city zone rules you can imagine that many try to squeeze their worn and rusted Volkswagen Golf or Merc Diesel into classic car scheme. To avoid abuse the rules are becoming more and more strict. In theory even an aftermarket radio won't allow to benefit from classic car stuff. But well... In practice those things are usually accepted. We have a lot of rules here and are world famous for sticking to them. But there is a certain flexibility
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote