ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-19-2022   #1
sevensixers

Default Transmission won?t go into gear

I?m hoping to get some input on an issue I?m having. New ZR1 owner and I made the mistake of washing the engine?. So after replacing the starter that shorted out, the car starts fine. The issue that I?m having is that the transmission will not go into gear with the car running. I drove the car right before I washed the motor and had no issues at all with shifting. I can cycle through all of the gears with the engine off with no problem. I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders as well as the hose between them and bled the system multiple times hoping that was the issue, but no change. The clutch feels fine to me, it?s just not disengaging to allow it to go into gear. I?m wondering if it?s possible the throw out bearing got stuck when I washed the engine ? I started the car in gear while on the lift to see if I could free up anything that might have gotten stuck. The car started and rolled in gear with no issue, but I still couldn?t shift gears with the clutch pressed to the floor. I?m just very puzzled on how it drove fine before I washed the motor and now it won?t go into gear. It has a 1 to 4 shift eliminator installed, but I didn?t see any issue there. Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !

Last edited by sevensixers; 07-19-2022 at 09:31 PM.
sevensixers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022   #2
Mikey

Default Re: Transmission won?t go into gear

Something more has happened than just washing the engine. That alone won't result in a clutch that won't disengage that I am aware of.

With engine off and rear wheels elevated- report on the following:
Do the rear wheels rotate freely by hand with gearbox in neutral?
Do the wheels rotate freely by hand while first gear is selected and the clutch is depressed?
Can you observe the clutch fork actuation is proper while the pedal is operated?

Are you sure you didn't hear or feel anything abnormal when attempting to start and move the car the first time you tried since the time before when things seemed normal?
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022   #3
JG95ZR1

Had that issue with a center force disc. The clutch disc pads came off the disc and wedged the disc from disengaging when pressing the pedal down. I can?t remember but I had three or four pads missing from the disc when they dropped the tranny and signs of rust. New clutch and she was back up and running

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
JG95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022   #4
sevensixers

Thanks for the replies !!! Mikey, The rear wheels spin freely while in neutral. When I put it into first gear with the clutch depressed, the wheels do not spin freely. I looked at the clutch fork when I had the slave cylinder out and I couldn't see anything obvious. I ordered a borescope camera I cannot see the actuation of the clutch at all. I don't recall hearing or feeling anything abnormal before I washed the engine. I was hoping to not have to drop the transmission, but things are leaning that way.
Old 07-20-2022   #5
Mikey

What type of clutch is in it?
Also are you able to start it in gear (use third) and then rev match to shift without clutch? You can try this with the rear up on jack stands but do not attempt if you?re not comfortable with how to rev match

Last edited by Mikey; 07-20-2022 at 07:33 AM.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022   #6
richarde

One easy check to make is to ensure that the clutch pedal and brake pedal are at the same height when looking at them with the drivers door open. If the clutch pedal is noticeably sitting lower than the brake pedal this could be the problem - you run out of stroke before the clutch disengages.
If both pedals are at the same height, the next check to make is to ensure that the clutch pedal depresses to the floor and does not stop prematurely.
These are 2 easy checks to make before moving onto the next stage.

Sent from my iPad using ZR-1 Net Registry
2391 - owned since Jan 2019, Black / Black, have completed restoration. Jeal headers, Corsa system, 4.10's, Aluminum flywheel with Carolina clutch.
richarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022   #7
5ABI VT

You could get it up and undo the slave cyl from the bellhousing. will give a window inside to see if the fork has bent or broke or if the slave cyl pin is functioning with the pedal.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022   #8
Shizap

The first thing I would check is the level of clutch hydraulic fluid. However, I had the same issue, and it ended up being a bent clutch fork.
Shizap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022   #9
sevensixers

OK, guys... a little update.... After dropping the transmission to access the clutch, I found everything rusted and stuck together. When I removed the clutch plate bolts, I heard a clunk and everything freed itself up. I don't like the way the clutch and flywheel look so I ordered a new single mass flywheel setup from Carolina Clutch. I'm dropping off the flywheels today to get the new one balanced matched with the old one. Thanks so much for all of your input !!!!!!