ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-20-2014   #11
Blue Flame Restorations

Default Re: C4 Taking a Vote Bashing :( :( :(

I have had a few standard C4's as well as wide bodies ranging from 1984 -1996 models. 84, 87, 88 (3), 89, 90 (2) 91, 92, 95 (2), 96. The 84 was a log wagon compared to my 96. While the 84 was a good car with no troubles, the 96 was a completely different car to drive. So much tighter with a much better interior quality. I really liked my 89 six speed unconverted Challenge Car. It was tight and fun to drive, even with the digital dash interior.

The ZR-1 is also a completely different car to drive compared to the 96. The 96 was an LT-1 automatic. The ZR-1 is a beast in its own category, IMO.

While I sometimes see an 80's Camaro or Firebird, I compare my 84 with the interior/exterior and still feel the C4 was a nicer car all the way around. Even the 84.

I've still yet to hear anyone bash a C4 in person.
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014   #12
We Gone

While I will readily admit the C3 is my favored body style, GM got it all right when the C4 came out comfort, performance, handling, aerodynamics a true world class sports car and they only got better until the end in 96 With the ZR-1 topping the list. Just look at all the improvements to the latter models that were playoffs of what they learned from C4's.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014   #13
5ABI VT

I like to think of it as a poll of how many people have no taste in automotive design. The c4 is more timeless and unique than any other generation. Its sort of like the lotus Esprit. I saw one the other day and it looked stunning even today.. so many years after its time.

One of my funny moments was at a Porsche /Ferrari meet I was invited to I parked beside the only other vette there. It was a stock c6 z06. The owner was so butthurt that everyone was talking about my car and surrounding it... and when I popped the hood he got in his car.. and left. Not a single person even looked at his car beside mine. I had one older gentleman walk over who had a nice gt2.. and asked what I did to it to make it look so good. Everyone was listening.. all I said was 'wheels'. I think everyone expected more and I absolutely enjoyed it. It was a great feeling to see all those eyes looking the car over and realizing that the body on my car is completely stock. That's it.. just wheels on the outside. The styling spoke for itself.

Its just unfortunate that the c4 was born in an era where there wasn't much of an aftermarket or social media. The c4 zr-1 to me is perhaps one of the best bang for the buck cars and biggest secrets out there. ALmost everyone I talk to has no idea what it has under the hood or that there even was a c4 zr-1. Its also the victim of awful modifications to all the other c4s out there. Theyre cheap and falling apart due to age. In my opinion the bashing is perfect. I love it. Its exactly the reason many of us feel so special about the z. Because we know, and see through all the bad. If the C4 was more popular who knows our Zs could be selling for triple the amount and for many of us that means we wouldn't even have one right now.

I enjoy the hate. I enjoy the talk of parts unavailability. More for me
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014   #14
WB9MCW

Yep the hate and discontent crowd indeed!

Long live the KOTH - those in the know get it.
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014   #15
Tripler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
I like to think of it as a poll of how many people have no taste in automotive design. The c4 is more timeless and unique than any other generation. Its sort of like the lotus Esprit. I saw one the other day and it looked stunning even today.. so many years after its time.

One of my funny moments was at a Porsche /Ferrari meet I was invited to I parked beside the only other vette there. It was a stock c6 z06. The owner was so butthurt that everyone was talking about my car and surrounding it... and when I popped the hood he got in his car.. and left. Not a single person even looked at his car beside mine. I had one older gentleman walk over who had a nice gt2.. and asked what I did to it to make it look so good. Everyone was listening.. all I said was 'wheels'. I think everyone expected more and I absolutely enjoyed it. It was a great feeling to see all those eyes looking the car over and realizing that the body on my car is completely stock. That's it.. just wheels on the outside. The styling spoke for itself.

Its just unfortunate that the c4 was born in an era where there wasn't much of an aftermarket or social media. The c4 zr-1 to me is perhaps one of the best bang for the buck cars and biggest secrets out there. ALmost everyone I talk to has no idea what it has under the hood or that there even was a c4 zr-1. Its also the victim of awful modifications to all the other c4s out there. Theyre cheap and falling apart due to age. In my opinion the bashing is perfect. I love it. Its exactly the reason many of us feel so special about the z. Because we know, and see through all the bad. If the C4 was more popular who knows our Zs could be selling for triple the amount and for many of us that means we wouldn't even have one right now.

I enjoy the hate. I enjoy the talk of parts unavailability. More for me
Elegantly stated sir .
Also its not so much bashing as I posted but the fact that no one was voting for the c4 in the looks department . I also agree that the ZR-1 is in a catagory all by itself and should always be that way . It has the C4 feel to it but it is as you say a hidden jem of a vehicle that does not get the attention it deserves . Fine . Keep it secret . Keep it safe .

Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014   #16
Meanmyz

Good answers, all of you.

As a result of a lot of finagling, scheming, fatherly support, and just plain hard work, I bought my first car, an '85 Corvette when I was sixteen, in 1990.

I am very proud of my medium gray metallic/dark red (Carmine) car. Today, the car has about 35,000 miles on it, and it has been my goal over the years to make it "perfect", in a NCRS sort of way.

When driving it, I still get compliments on it. If there is some bashing out there, I wonder how much of it is a result of C4's out there that look worn out, tired, and just plain "run into the ground".

Everyone's taste is different, and many have been appearance wise, modded in not the most appealing ways. That and there are many "budget" attempts at restoring that don't present the car in the best light.

Last edited by Meanmyz; 10-21-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014   #17
edram454

the c4 is the first to combine good looks with aerodynamics period. It was the first world class performance car made in America. It could go 150 mph stock. Ever try that in a c3 safely?? c1,c2.c3's had horrible aerodynamics and racing them was taking your life in your hands. They all lifted and waffled down the track. Who broke the 50 year old record?? A c4 ZR-1. Who ran 256 mph... a 88 C4 Sledgehammer. Any other body style come close??

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014   #18
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU View Post
The answer........they ALL are the best generation's. Period !
Favorites may vary but a Corvette is a Corvette.
Yep. Picking a favorite Vette is like choosing a favorite child!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014   #19
8cam

I realize it's a C5 forum that started it, but it's funny to me how much they all talk about how beautiful the C5 is. That's my least favorite generation by far, looks like a bloated, melted soap bar with the biggest *** on the planet. Which means exactly zilch, everyone has their own standards of what looks good, which is why these kinds of polls are useless except for generating debate.

I'm a child of the 80s and when I saw my first C4 in late 1983 it looked like a spaceship, just fell in love with it. It's the simplest, cleanest design of all the generations and I still love it. And I agree the extra width on the ZR-1 makes a huge difference.

My styling favorite is probably the early C3, specifically a '69. Awesome looking car, but holy hell they drive like trucks. Just terrible. I wouldn't own one for just that reason, but it's sure cool to look at. I even think the late C3s are cool in an 80s kind of way, but wow they need some power under the hood.

After that, probably a tie between the C4 and C7 (love the wretched excess style). Then the C6, followed by the C1 and C2, and then the C5 dragging its big ol' *** up the rear.

Sacrilege alert...I don't really like the C2 either, but it's marginally better than the C5. There you go, proof that styling polls are useless.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote