ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-08-2021   #171
spork2367

Default Re: ECM And Ignition Module Availability/ replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Let's just hope people don't just buy them up to hoard them. then we will be back to where we were before.

since this sounds like a positiove and the fact that the DIS is quite stout, now if we can just find a fully working ECM replacement (Yes I know of DIYAutoTune, but technically it is not 100% fully working)

EDIT: to Add, I am sure you and Graham are doing this, but please Archive all your work for that DIS in case it needs to be revisited
Hoarding is all people do with them. Let's face it, there have been less than 10 documented failures and between totaled cars and spares there are hundreds and hundreds of DIS units out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
I am really glad I bought my NOS NIB GM DIS module back in 2003 when I got my first Z. I paid $400 back then and thought that was ridiculous. I have a spare ECM that was about $200 back then. I hope I never need them. Now no regrets seeing how valuable they are now.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
I bought a NIB DIS last year on the forum for 600.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Definitely. This project can't be allowed to fall by the wayside. If in the future, DIS modules start failing regularly, The current supply will dry up, and no option will be available we are screwed and the value of our cars will plummet. If my choice becomes a $2000 modern component, reliable DIS module or parking my ZR-1 indefinitely, the choice becomes very easy.
As the mean mileage of cars increases, there will be more failures. Will that number ever reach or exceed the number of spares currently available (and those that will become available in the future)? Unlikely based on the failure rate up until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
FYI:
The work product developed to this point was acquired at significant cost of money, time & effort. It goes without saying that the DIS Module project will not be tossed away & forgotten. The decision to suspend development was based on the current circumstances and in the best interest of all concerned.
We certainly appreciate the time and effort you have put into keeping our cars going.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021   #172
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
The workaround is removal of the spacer under the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Always a good idea to measure the sensor length & the depth to the crank reluctor wheel to insure the gap is correct (0.020" ~ 0.050").

The "shim" on the few early 1990 models I have seen, was stuck to the block, so you may have to look close to see it, if it is still there.
I seem to recall my 1990 has a washer (or is that the shim) on the cranks sensor when I replaced it (#1051)

Quote:
FYI:
The work product developed to this point was acquired at significant cost of money, time & effort. It goes without saying that the DIS Module project will not be tossed away & forgotten. The decision to suspend development was based on the current circumstances and in the best interest of all concerned.
Totally understand this and thank you for your continued effort to support these cars
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021   #173
Jagdpanzer

My understanding is the early 1990 DIS ignition modules did not have control circuitry which limited the maximum voltage signal generated by the crankshaft magnetic pickup at high engine RPMs. With the magnetic pickups the LT5 use the faster the crankshaft turns higher the voltage output will be.
To limit the output voltage from becoming to high for the DIS electronic components they installed shims to increase the air gap between the magnetic sensor tip and crankshaft slotted reluctor wheel.
Later DIS ignition modules incorporated circuitry which automatically limited the voltage the crankshaft sensor could generate to a safe level therefore installing shims was no longer required.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021   #174
rkreigh

Jerry this seems to be the most sensible approach. With the small number of failure rates, the cars are "dying" fast enough to put used parts in the bin.

Graham, with all the torture to do this DIS, any interest in dusting off a COP version of MS3 pro, or Holley Terminator X?

The stock DIS is fine, but with the high cost of the parts, and the superior processing speed and capabilities of the aftermarket ecm stuff, it seems like a foregone conclusion to go this route as it's both cheaper and better and I don't really care about the CCM stuff that much.

no doubt the stock stuff is very advanced and can support "the wildest dreams" and hp levels to 700 and more, but I would rather have the tune on the fly, advanced monitoring, and especially the triggers than can save the engine.

After looking at all the expensive parts inside the LSV I again faced the dim realization that the car would be too expensive for me to fix. Fortunately, no real hard parts were damaged and Phil saved me a bunch of $$ coming to the rescue with bearings chains, and those hard to find tools!!!

With the talent of these folks, the LT5 history is bright indeed.

Thanks Jerry, Graham, and Phil for the hard core engineering support needed to understand and modify these complex systems!! As Graham knows, the OEM spend a right healthy sum to make headway on projects like these with quite a few folks!!

Maybe we can draw Corey in as he has the right expertise to add. Wisdom in many council.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote