ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-27-2012   #21
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Cams for the Biggest Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I am not sure if you have Modified Cams Craig. If you really want to have fun, you got to install 4 of Pete's cams
That is AFTER you do the Exhaust Performance tricks.

Pete's cams are the BIG Ill FBI gang secret fun trick that everybody should experience at least once in their lives

The Revs are sooooo hot that I just the other day blew my impeller off my water pump and yesturday blew a SAMCO hose off my IH manifold

I am wondering if the FBI Gang has a member option for out of staters
Cliff,

Yes, I have cams but they are SGC Stage I regrinds from Aaron Scott. I am very pleased with them, but know that Pete is a god with this stuff too(quickest 350 in the world as far as I know; his driving skills is also an attestment to that too). As soon as I get the exhaust figured out I will have dyno tuning by Advance Auto (not auto parts chain, but a speed shop) here and finally see what kind of numbers my build produces with their tuning. I heard they are really good and perfectionists about extracting power with their racing experiencing. Money is the driving force for any future mods. I want to confirm what generation B&B mufflers I have first. Thanks!
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 01-27-2012 at 04:20 PM.
HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #22
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Exhaust for max performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Anyone interested, amazon has a sale on the Dynomax muffs for $87 each and free shipping. These are SS w 3" center inlet and 2 2 1/2" outlets. You supply your own tips. Part # is 17228.
Dom,

I saw that and free shipping too. Do you have a good source about the Z06 flappers and tips? What are your thoughts about the QTR electronic cutouts?

Old 01-27-2012   #23
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Dom,

I saw that and free shipping too. Do you have a good source about the Z06 flappers and tips? What are your thoughts about the QTR electronic cutouts?
Craig,

As far as I know the source for getting Z06 flapper assemblies is just keep watching on CF, eFlay, and Craigslist. If you can find a set for $150 or so, that's a good deal. Bloomington Gold, Carlisle or The going rate is $300+ from what I have seen.The word seems to be out on these where before people were dumping the Z06 muffs for aftermarket stuff. Now apparently there is a mod to make them freer breathing while retaining the flapper mechanism and stock look.
As for the cutout, Bob G and others are running 10's with the DynoMax.
I'm w Pete re: running the same config on the track as the street except for DRs for safety.
I'll post a pic of what I got.

Last edited by XfireZ51; 01-27-2012 at 05:08 PM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #24
XfireZ51

These aren't mine but they look just like this.

Old 01-27-2012   #25
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Craig,

As far as I know the source for getting Z06 flapper assemblies is just keep watching on CF, eFlay, and Craigslist. If you can find a set for $150 or so, that's a good deal. Bloomington Gold, Carlisle or The going rate is $300+ from what I have seen.The word seems to be out on these where before people were dumping the Z06 muffs for aftermarket stuff. Now apparently there is a mod to make them freer breathing while retaining the flapper mechanism and stock look.
As for the cutout, Bob G and others are running 10's with the DynoMax.
I'm w Pete re: running the same config on the track as the street except for DRs for safety.
I'll post a pic of what I got.
Dom,

Thanks a lot for the info and pics. I'm wondering if I don't care about how loud maybe I don't need the flappers and just find some nice tips for the dynomax mufflers? I guess I better wait to see how loud the car is with the X pipe on first once the resonators come off the B&Bs system. How do I get the flappers to work? I would prefer to find flappers and tips only as shipping of the entire Z06 mufflers could make it quite expensive. I'll check around. Sorry for the dumb questions that already might have been explained elsewhere. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2012   #26
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Dom,

Thanks a lot for the info and pics. I'm wondering if I don't care about how loud maybe I don't need the flappers and just find some nice tips for the dynomax mufflers? I guess I better wait to see how loud the car is with the X pipe on first once the resonators come off the B&Bs system. How do I get the flappers to work? I would prefer to find flappers and tips only as shipping of the entire Z06 mufflers could make it quite expensive. I'll check around. Sorry for the dumb questions that already might have been explained elsewhere. Thanks!
Craig,

I should let the Masters of the Universe Pete, Al, or Bob G. esprain. Perhaps they'll chime in.
The vacuum actuators are connected to the vacuum line for the CFC (charcoal filter cannister). With the Dynomax you can choose your tips.
Pete has the B+B tips for example. I believe Bob has the Z06 tips. I like those because like the MFlow tips, the ends are double walled and rolled.
I think they may help a bit w the resonance. I will say that the resonance of the SW Xpipe w the MFlow muffs is not terrible. Certainly better than the 3rd Gen B+B setup I originally had. But I can sense that with a long drive it would get annoying. My rear gear doesn't help either in terms of rpm range. Pete can certainly speak to the diff in noise before and after. Bob drove me home one night in his and you really couldn't tell from inside the cabin that you were riding in a 10sec. 427, errrrrr ooops sorry I mean stock 350 LT-5. That is until he stomped on it. WEEEEEEEEEEE!
When I bought mine, I got the seller to cut off the back of the muffs and just send me that. Saved on shipping.

Last edited by XfireZ51; 01-27-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2012   #27
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Craig,

I should let the Masters of the Universe Pete, Al, or Bob G. esprain. Perhaps they'll chime in.
The vacuum actuators are connected to the vacuum line for the CFC (charcoal filter cannister). With the Dynomax you can choose your tips.
Pete has the B+B tips for example. I believe Bob has the Z06 tips. I like those because like the MFlow tips, the ends are double walled and rolled.
I think they may help a bit w the resonance. I will say that the resonance of the SW Xpipe w the MFlow muffs is not terrible. Certainly better than the 3rd Gen B+B setup I originally had. But I can sense that with a long drive it would get annoying. My rear gear doesn't help either in terms of rpm range. Pete can certainly speak to the diff in noise before and after. Bob drove me home one night in his and you really couldn't tell from inside the cabin that you were riding in a 10sec. 427, errrrrr ooops sorry I mean stock 350 LT-5. That is until he stomped on it. WEEEEEEEEEEE!
When I bought mine, I got the seller to cut off the back of the muffs and just send me that. Saved on shipping.
Dom,

Thanks for all the info and explanation. Wow, I had no idea about the CFC and that vacuum being used for the flapper control. I am wondering what gen B&B I have as well as the resonance from the dynomax plus X pipe With the 4.10s maybe I will be able to find a range of least annoyance. Yeah, I can't even imagine what a big motor feels like because I have not even used all of my power yet or gotten used to it. Thanks again for sharing the details. I guess the B&B mufflers are a POS then?

Old 01-27-2012   #28
Corbusa

Geezzzzz Thanks guys .. I was all ready to order the OBX ss system , and I read this.. aaaaaaaaaaa! Time for more research I like the SS looks and no rust , yet I want all the power I can git...yea git.... Thanks
Corbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #29
sammy

having the dyno max on my white car, if you have 4.10s the resonance isnt bad at all above 1800 rpms . it does help if you extend the tips 3 in past the valance. it helped my car a bunch
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #30
RICKYRJ1

What do I do ? I have a Corsa with SW headers and no cats. Do I get an X-pipe? I want to do a center exhaust in the future but for now wouldn't mind changing if it is going to gain me some extra HP. The only noise I care about is if it sounds like sh*t, not concerned about opening and closing anything. I drive with the revs up all the time (no concern for MPG) I just want a killer sound with performance. FBI sure knows how to make Zbrothers spend $$
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote