XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #2
Hog

Default Re: Fascinating F1 power technology

4 months from the start of the 2014 season. Ferrari
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJQF2NBw0MA

5 engines per season
100kg fuel=220 lbs of fuel per race
Lets assume 1kg of fuel equals 1 liter for maths sake (liter of pure water equals exactly 1 kg, ahh the marvels of the metric system) thats about 100 liters of fuel per race.

That is exactly the same amount of fuel my pickup trucks take from a dead dry state, I can get 600-700 kms from that fuel on normal unloaded driving.
However 1/2 of that fuel can be consumed in 27 1/4 mile WOT passes and thats with a 350 cube engine, max revs 5800rpm.

SImply amazing tech. in F1, but I admit the energy recovery systems are kind of lame from a certain aspect, but then again these systems are what we need for everyday vehicles. I understand why they are going in this direction, plus there is more sponsorship opportunities as well.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #3
scottfab

wow lots of rules changes in one year.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #4
mgg

I miss the real F1 engine sounds. These new motors sound like a Subaru WRX with a plug wire disconnected. Yuch. Very disappointed. SHowing my age but I prefer huge rear tires, big FN wings bag the "curs" system. MOst importantly, I want to watch a race not fuel economy contest. NOt happy about the way things are going in the racing world. To add insult to injury, how is it possible to screw up trying to find IMSA ( ALMS) UNited sports car or whatever it is now called on TV. The TV coverage lasted about two hours and half of it was under caution. The streaming was so bad I could not watch due to buffering every ten seconds.
I respectfully have to disagree with finding this power fascinating. It reminds of how people actually have been convinced the diesel powered race cars are now so superior to petrol power. If the rules were not changed to allow the diesel cars huge advantages it would be a different story. I di not think racing should be a social statement. It is racing. The fastest guy wins. Screw fuel economy. That's what was so great about Can-am. Minimal rules. Just my two cents.
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #5
John Boothby

Racing in the "old" days, (up through the 50"s) were mainly indepentant's building their own car's or modifing other's. When manufacturer's started getting involved racing became a testing ground for new technology and to promote their brand.

That is the way I see it.
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #6
Mystic ZR-1

F1 is kinda like soccer in the US, no one cares...
I "appreciate" it, the high tech is just that, but the racing stinks.
And Bernie Ecclestone???
I hate to say this, but Indycar
now has the best racing. But it's far from perfect and it's a "spec" series.
The Indy 500 is still the Granddaddy of them all despite their
efforts to screw it up...
Nothing like the old CanAm! Only rules had to do with safety...
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #7
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
F1 is kinda like soccer in the US, no one cares...
I "appreciate" it, the high tech is just that, but the racing stinks.
And Bernie Ecclestone???
I hate to say this, but Indycar
now has the best racing. But it's far from perfect and it's a "spec" series.
The Indy 500 is still the Granddaddy of them all despite their
efforts to screw it up...
Nothing like the old CanAm! Only rules had to do with safety...
You can't be serious!! Indycar is NASCAR with open wheels. I'm not a huge fan of F1 but the Indycar comparison is absurd.
BTW, LOTS of people care about football, real football in the USoA.
MLS has the third highest per game attendance of any American sports league. English Premier League ratings are rapidly increasing on NBCSN.
If you haven't been to an International game or competition, let me recommend you should.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
Old 03-17-2014   #8
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
You can't be serious!! Indycar is NASCAR with open wheels. I'm not a huge fan of F1 but the Indycar comparison is absurd.
BTW, LOTS of people care about football, real football in the USoA.
MLS has the third highest per game attendance of any American sports league. English Premier League ratings are rapidly increasing on NBCSN.
If you haven't been to an International game or competition, let me recommend you should.
This is one of those times that I must say " I disagree". Hope I don't rile the natives with that statement
I'm pretty sure there is a bit of difference between Indy and NASCAR.
The biggest difference being, one of them goes fast and turns left most the time. (what two road tracks in NASCAR?)

As for "soccer", never cared for it since like I was 10.
It's origins involved contact with the ball using hands.
Football as we know it, with contact and use of hands evolved
as did several other contact sports (rugby) at the same time that "soccer" went the other way and put rules in place to eliminate the use of hands. Soccer is to Football what badminton is to tennis.
It was when the British got hold of the game that hands
were disallowed. Can't cotton to any game where you can't use
your hands. That's be like having an F1 rule that says you can't use
front wheels. (but that could be next in F1)

All in all I see F1 racing as not only a competition of drivers but of design and ingenuity. I say fine to the new rules not just as a platform for innovation that finds it's way to the consumers but as a challenge to all mankind (big vendors) with a kind of "what would McGyver do" thing.

Evidence shows that electric drive can and does deliver torque better (faster and more controlled) to the wheels. That is really good news for quicker recovery off an apex. The energy recovery systems promise to not only be more efficient but FASTER overall.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #9
XfireZ51

Scott,

I'm actually on the side of allowing more a "run what you brung" kind of format. I don't care much for an IROC approach to racing. Having said that, I also believe in "necessity is the mother of invention". Sometimes things need to be forced so I applaud F1 in legislating the change. I'd rather see an objective put out instead of the final solution but...

As for football, the issue was whether anybody cared. The facts show that Americans do care. Whether scottfab cares or likes football wasn't the question.
Origins of football from FIFA :
http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/...e/origins.html
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
Old 03-18-2014   #10
mgg

My reply was not to dispute the technical difficulty in driving F1 or even comparing it to IRL racing. There is no argument that can change the fact the F1 is THE most technological racing on the planet. My post was to state the I really miss the engine sounds of previous F1 cars. I don't think there will be many to debate that. I will clearly state that I am no fan of NASCAR but I also know that it takes a great deal of skill to drive at that level and to be successful. Each series requires a different skill set and I respect them all but my preference is sports car racing. I actually prefer non professional motor sports as I can relate to the car and drivers much better. Having raced in SCCA & NASA for over 15 years I have a true appreciation for guys buying their own tires , brakes etc. Not to get off course , but I suppose we will have to agree to disagree regarding the new powerplants. I guess you can label me a relic but it is my preference for the engines to remain petrol powered. I am not disputing the obvious technological advances but I cannot imagine going to a race track and watching a bunch of noiseless race cars running around. The delta wing is bad enough. Now please do not think that I am opposed to the technological advancement in motorsports. My hero is Jim Hall who truly is the father of aero. HAving a HUGE splitter and under tray as well as a 72" wing /14"chord on my race car I can attest to the advantages of aero.
I just want to make sure the engines keep making their beautiful music. Not silence.
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote