ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-06-2024   #1
Z51JEFF

Default A question for the longtime owners.

[/IMG]How often do you think about selling the car? I really want a new C8 but my Z would have to go and when it comes down to it I don't think I could let it go. I've had the car for going on 18 years and still really dig the car. It sits in the garage 99% of the time,I might put 100 on it in 12 months but a new Corvette would be nice,pay it off before I retire. I've also got a 75 convertible with 12,600 original miles that would also have to go. Selling the 75 would be easy to key go,not loosing my a$$ on what I've got into it would be a challenge. I haven't done anything to my Z other than clean it up and get it out of the garage when I get the itch and I can honestly tell ya,the thrill never left😁
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8087.jpg (65.6 KB, 45 views)
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024   #2
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: A question for the longtime owners.

Fortunately for me I never think about selling my Z because I don?t like anything newer, especially the C8 of all of them. Maybe you could rent a C8 to see if you REALLY even want one. So you would daily the C8 if you had one then do it. Why is the Z always sitting? Drive it as it is meant to and enjoy it. Why did you buy the 75? Don?t you also have an old bug too? Cars don?t like to sit period so I learned that from all my years of military and traveling the world. Only 3 more months to retire and I?m driving my Z as often as I can and prepping it to tour Japan.

I guess I got obsessed with the C4 ZR-1 because of this group and nothing else matters for me. No desires regardless of faster, newer, or better handling etc. Sorry, I guess I?m the wrong person to answer your question. I could care less about preserving value. I don?t see any of the other cars as special with this history, but that is just me. Best wishes in your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 03-06-2024 at 06:59 AM.
HAWAIIZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024   #3
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Fortunately for me I never think about selling my Z because I don?t like anything newer, especially the C8 of all of them. So you would daily the C8 if you had one then do it. Why is the Z always sitting? Drive it as it is meant to and enjoy it. Why did you buy the 75? Don?t you also have an old bug too? Cars don?t like to sit period so I learned that from all my years of military and traveling the world. Only 3 more month to retire and I?m driving my Z as often as I can and prepping it to tour Japan.

I guess I got obsessed with the C4 ZR-1 because of this group and nothing else matters for me. No desires regardless of faster, newer, or better handling etc. Sorry, I guess I?m the wrong person to answer your question. I could care less above preserving value. I don?t see any of the other cars as special with this history, but that is just me. Best wishes in your decision.

The Z sits because it's too hard to get it out of the garage with all my crap in there. The 75 was too good to pass up and the Bug was an impulse buy. I got more cars than brains😁 Orher than a new C8 the only other car I'd look at is a C6 ZR1.
Old 03-06-2024   #4
WARP TEN

While I very much agree with Craig on what he said, I am one long term C4 ZR-1 owner who did sell my Z to get a newer Corvette. I bought a '93 in 1994 and owned it for 13 years and 70,000 miles. I sold it to a Registry member because we were moving into a 2 car garage. I later figured out I could put a lift in and bought a '95. Had Marc do his 510 hp package among other things. But in 2016 I decided to order a C7 Z06. I loved the look and power, and at my age (then 70) I figured after probably 50 or 60 mostly stick shift used high performance, sports and antique cars I deserved an automatic and a warranty. I've since put almost 30,000 miles on it and I like it better than the C8 so I plan to keep it a while (although not sure how long, as my boy racer days are pretty much over). Still keep my hand in with the ZR-1 group by attending get togethers, having lunch with Marc and others roughly once a month and staying on the forum. And when I pick Marc up for our lunches he always wants to drive the Z06. Says he loves the power and the automatic. So go which ever way you want to. No wrong answer to this one. -- Bob

2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 03-06-2024 at 08:52 AM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024   #5
We Gone

Have owned 5 so far told myself would never sell any of them... But along came that magic number and the adventure stars over.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024   #6
Z51JEFF

I have been throwing around the idea of hunting down a silver set of BBS RS wheels. That is in my opinion the best looking wheel for these cars. The wheel is classic and it fits the car. I found a used set of 17-9.5 but the guy wanted $6000. I like the wheels but not at that price then have to have the rears widened on top of $6000,I'll pass. Just how hard would it be to find a set,put together a set? There's a wheel shop in Sweden that can build these wheel but the price wouldn't work by the time they got over here. Brain storming now.
Old 03-06-2024   #7
aafc

I have my 1990 ZR-1 since April ,1994 , 39,450 miles. Now has over 148,000
miles plus. As far as making your wheels wider. Contact Weldcraftwheels.com
I sent them my 1990 front rims and they narrowered them to 6 in wlde.
I'am sure they can make your rims wider.
1990 ZR-1 white/black # 2546
one of a few 4l8OE eq ZR-1's
John
aafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024   #8
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
The Z sits because it's too hard to get it out of the garage with all my crap in there. The 75 was too good to pass up and the Bug was an impulse buy. I got more cars than brains[emoji16] Orher than a new C8 the only other car I'd look at is a C6 ZR1.

I hear that Jeff. We all have our individual reasons so just do what makes you happy. I know when I get rid of my Z I will probably get a Mercedes than any Corvette; I fell in love with those cars and always my daily driver lately. It will be an AMG model of course. Nice toys you have and so much to decide. I love the C6Z too, but would never want to own one. The bug is sweet so can?t blame you and I love my VWs too. About the BBS RS, YES! That would be nice to find.

Old 03-06-2024   #9
Mikey

I have only heard from car guys about the cars they used to have that they wish they still had. So I decided I won?t sell cars and only buy cars. But if in the process of acquiring cars and subsequently enjoying them, if I realize I?ve lost the desire to drive another car in the collection only then I will sell it.
This logic really can apply to any budget and any size garage. Be sure you like the next car enough to sell the last car. And if you struggle to decide which you like better then keep both. Where there is a will there?s a way.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024   #10
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
While I very much agree with Craig on what he said, I am one long term C4 ZR-1 owner who did sell my Z to get a newer Corvette. I bought a '93 in 1994 and owned it for 13 years and 70,000 miles. I sold it to a Registry member because we were moving into a 2 car garage. I later figured out I could put a lift in and bought a '95. Had Marc do his 510 hp package among other things. But in 2016 I decided to order a C7 Z06. I loved the look and power, and at my age (then 70) I figured after probably 50 or 60 mostly stick shift used high performance, sports and antique cars I deserved an automatic and a warranty. I've since put almost 30,000 miles on it and I like it better than the C8 so I plan to keep it a while (although not sure how long, as my boy racer days are pretty much over). Still keep my hand in with the ZR-1 group by attending get togethers, having lunch with Marc and others roughly once a month and staying on the forum. And when I pick Marc up for our lunches he always wants to drive the Z06. Says he loves the power and the automatic. So go which ever way you want to. No wrong answer to this one. -- Bob

Hey Bob! Always good to hear from you. I guess I have not thought that far out, but if you ask me this question when I am 70 I'm pretty sure I wont have my Z by then so I totally understand. By then I surely don't want to be cursing at my car and rather just wash, gas, and drive to enjoy. Retirement, retirement is around the corner in little over 90 days so my mindset should change then. I need to get a more geezer appropriate vehicle at some point. Take care and I hope our paths cross again soon. Maybe at Carlisle this year? Aloha!