ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-07-2015   #11
tonywy

Default Re: warm weather!!!

The roads here in ne pa are so bad I'm not sure I want to take anything out.
tonywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #12
efnfast

It is absolutly beautiful here today. I was hoping to back Bertha out of the garage, run her and give her a bath. It's not going to get above freezing today. It's March 7 for God's sake!
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #13
GSJoe

Well, it's obvious that quite a few of us in this group have experienced a long and ugly winter and we're tired of it. I've been wondering for weeks where the "Carolina Blue" for which I left upstate NY 12 years ago has gone. This has been the worst winter I've ever seen here in Charlotte, NC. For the past two weeks or so the temperatures here have been more like early January than almost spring with clouds and then more clouds. During this time we've had rain, freezing rain (really a bad thing here since no one knows how to drive with black ice on the road) and then snow. My ZR-1 and my 911 Porsche sit in the garage, both with their battery on life support. Fortunately the heavy rains of two days ago have washed away the salt put on the roads during the recent snowfalls. If things dry out over the weekend as promised I will try to exercise both of my babies a bit. In short, I long for blue sky and summer temperatures NOW! I also hope the weather in Bowling Green in May is warmer than it was last year. Last May I needed cold weather clothing for Friday evening's hotel parking lot gathering that I hadn't brought with me. Do you suppose enough complaints to the Almighty--and I don't mean Al Gore--can bring us the weather we so want? I don't think it will hurt to try.
GSJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #14
Karl

Well looks like I will be changing my master slave or whatever it's called. Clutch pedal went right to the floor. I checked and the reservoir was low. I added more brake fluid and that didn't help.
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #15
Vette73

" Global warming"....Actually that's what cause more precipitation in the winter "snow" because of the excess moisture in the atmosphere ...High taxes,high prices and lousy winters are now a big part of living in NY...

Got a chance to take the Z to the Atlantic city auto auction last Saturday...270 mile round trip....
There was a black/black 90 ZR1 with 100 miles there ...Guy was asking 60,000...
Forgot to see what # it was.....
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #16
Arctic91

It's officially above freezing at my house... and it's not even noon. We haven't seen that happen in a while, and higher temps are in the forecast for next week. Calling for mid-40's tomorrow, so garages will be open and both cars will be running as soon as we get back from church.

Scott

'95 Callaway SNAT 450 Aerobody Coupe - Black/Black
'92 Callaway SNAT 400 Convertible - Polo Green/Beige
'91 ZR-1 #1231 - Arctic White/Saddle (SOLD)
'90 ZR-1 #2547 - Turquoise Metallic/Black
'89 Callaway Twin Turbo Aerobody Coupe #027 - Black/Black
'85 Corvette 454 Coupe - White/Red
Arctic91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #17
GSJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Well looks like I will be changing my master slave or whatever it's called. Clutch pedal went right to the floor. I checked and the reservoir was low. I added more brake fluid and that didn't help.
Karl, did you bleed the system after adding the brake fluid? If the reservoir was empty and you depressed the clutch pedal in this state you need to get the air out that you took in. These days I bleed from the top using a tool I made from a rubber stopper, a small piece of copper tubing that fits into the hole I drilled into the stopper and my MightyVac suction tool. This actually is the new Chevrolet bleeding recommendation which I first found in my 2011 C6 shop manuals, and it is also out there in a service bulletin. I find it to works quite well. By the way, I believe Kent-Moore Makes the stopper-tube tool I mentioned for GM, but it costs about $70. I made mine from pieces I bought at Lowes for about 70 cents! Hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2015   #18
FU

The warmer weather is very much appreciated after this miserable winter. Now about those pot holes. Some pot holes around here are rim benders for sure.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #19
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSJoe View Post
Karl, did you bleed the system after adding the brake fluid? If the reservoir was empty and you depressed the clutch pedal in this state you need to get the air out that you took in. These days I bleed from the top using a tool I made from a rubber stopper, a small piece of copper tubing that fits into the hole I drilled into the stopper and my MightyVac suction tool. This actually is the new Chevrolet bleeding recommendation which I first found in my 2011 C6 shop manuals, and it is also out there in a service bulletin. I find it to works quite well. By the way, I believe Kent-Moore Makes the stopper-tube tool I mentioned for GM, but it costs about $70. I made mine from pieces I bought at Lowes for about 70 cents! Hope this helps.

I did not bleed the system. I went to la fitness and worked out.

Where is the bleeder screw or valve?

I will check my service manual for the procedure also.

Thanks!
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #20
GSJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I did not bleed the system. I went to la fitness and worked out.

Where is the bleeder screw or valve?

I will check my service manual for the procedure also.

Thanks!

Karl, the bleeder screw is on the slave cylinder under the car, to answer your question. The problem, however, is you'll probably go crazy trying to get the air out of the clutch in the old fashion way with it. Pumping and opening works for brakes, but it doesn’t work so well for hydraulic clutches. The clutch system is inherently different. Suck it out as I suggested or push it out by opening the reservoir and pushing new brake fluid up through the system using from the bleeder valve. (Pushing fluid up from the bottom is currently the first-fill procedure used at the plant in Bowling Green.) It is quick and efficient for getting the air out. Some back-yard mechanics like me will use a turkey baster for this, and ezbleed even makes a device to do it. Check it out here: http://www.ezebleeder.net/ For me, I do it all the time at the top with my MightyVac. My godson's '90 ZR-1 has leaked a bit for years. He forgot to check it on several occasions. Result: no clutch due to air. I usually have him "up and running" again with my MightVac in just minutes and we don't have to crawl under the car.