ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Club Regional Areas > Northeast Region

Old 08-11-2014   #1
vilant

Default Looking for help at Carlisle or someone local.

Hi all,
Was hoping a fellow member could help me out. I recently had a code 31 pop up. The first diagnostic led to a bad cam sensor, replaced it, then it became an intermittent. I want to find out if my ECM is actually bad before I fork out the cash for a new one or throw more parts at it. Was hoping to swap ECM's and go for a drive. Once swapped, if a code 31 pops up in your car with my ECM, and nothing comes up in my car, then I know my ECM needs to be replaced. If not, then my problem lies elsewhere. I would do this whenever it's convenient for you. Could be on the way to Carlisle, afterwards, on the way home, whenever. Let me know if someone can lend hand. It would be greatly appreciated, and I'll return the favor anyway I can.
Thanks, Joe
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014   #2
EVILTWINS

Default Re: Looking for help at Carlisle or someone local.

Not sure where u are in PA but have tried calling/contacting Dave Johnson? He might have an early PCM/ECM he can get access to. Also have tried Mark Habeck (sp) I think he is out in IL and essentially one of the preeminent ZR-1 techs. He might be able to help over the phone

Best of Luck
2009 ZR1 STOCK (ENROUTE TO LINGENFELTER 750 HP)
2013 427 VERT
2001 Lingenfelter Twin Turbo 427 C5-R BLOCK
1995 CORVETTE 96 LT4 BORED AND STROKED TO 396 CI
EVILTWINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014   #3
Kevin

you can use any year zr-1 ecm in any zr-1, just has to be the correct chip. I had a 94 ecm in my car for a while
Old 08-14-2014   #4
vilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILTWINS View Post
Not sure where u are in PA but have tried calling/contacting Dave Johnson? He might have an early PCM/ECM he can get access to. Also have tried Mark Habeck (sp) I think he is out in IL and essentially one of the preeminent ZR-1 techs. He might be able to help over the phone

Best of Luck
Actually Dave did reach out and graciously offered his to use while he's at Carlisle ( Dave, your are the man when comes helping others out. Thank you for the offer ). I'll take him up on it too if I can't find anyone local before then. The reason being I would like to do a side by side comparison, where we drive both cars and see what comes up. Dave will be way too busy (and I absolutely wouldn't want him to because I know he is) with everything going on at Carlisle.
And Kevin is right, any ECM will work for me, I just need to swap out the Prom and Mem-cal chips.
Haven't reached out to Marc yet, but he's a busy man too. I'm fairly certain what the problem is, I just need to confirm it with an ECM swap.
Here's what I think it is;
1- faulty ECM
2- corrupted Prom or Mem-cal chip
3- electrical issue (addressed the cam sensor ground and connectors already) other possibilities are: an alternator on it's way out, other ECM grounds or other faulty device causing interference.
The ECM swap will narrow it down.
Thanks guys
Old 08-16-2014   #5
Rex Ruby

Just saw this. I may have some time tomorrow to try this. PM'd you my phone number.
Rex Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014   #6
vilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Ruby View Post
Just saw this. I may have some time tomorrow to try this. PM'd you my phone number.
Thanks, John. Of course tomorrow I'm headed to Hershey park with the family but maybe I can swing by on another day that's convenient for you. I'll give you a call.
Old 08-19-2014   #7
z proud

If you and John don't get together let me know, I have an extra ECM, if you want to swap it in for testing, I cut Moms grass once a week in Warminster Pa and you guessed it I was their tonight, sending you a pm with my #
z proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #8
vilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by z proud View Post
If you and John don't get together let me know, I have an extra ECM, if you want to swap it in for testing, I cut Moms grass once a week in Warminster Pa and you guessed it I was their tonight, sending you a pm with my #
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it . I'll let you know if I need to.