ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-20-2023   #1
davidijaxson

Default Fuel leak somewhere

My 90' has been under a cover with a battery tender for about 10 months. Yesterday I fired her up to start getting it cleaned up to sell. There was a tremendous smell of gasoline. Even after sitting for several hours the smell of gas permeated the garage so I had to leave the car out overnight. Today a couple of neighbors helped me push it back in.

There is no puddling of fuel anywhere under the car. Does that mean that there is a leak under the plenum or are there are areas I should check?

Have never done a plenum pull but I may need to get baptized.

As always I appreciate everyone's expertise.
davidijaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023   #2
Dynomite

Default Re: Fuel leak somewhere

Fuel pump test connector TIPS

With the leak you describe I would not fire up the engine until I find out the source of the leak......You could burn it up......

Above Marc describes the way to hot wire the fuel pumps without turning on the ignition key using electrical test leads directly from the battery to the Fuel Pump Test Connector.

........I would do that to get fuel pressure which you apparently have but your reason is to find the fuel leak without getting anything electrically hot in the engine compartment except the fuel pumps........That is my thinking at the moment......

First...... air out the engine compartment........ then only hot wire the fuel pumps for a couple seconds at a time as you should smell the gas fumes quickly at the source of the leak as you describe the leak is a BIG leak

Do not take anything apart until the leak is identified
This is a gas leak, not a vacuum leak which a gas leak should be easy to source.....

There is a drain line under the starter and if the leak is large and under the plenum you should see gas dripping under the bell housing.

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-21-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023   #3
1991 Corvette ZR-1

First thing that comes to mind is the fuel vapor canister and purge solenoid. I had a solenoid go bad and give the same strong fuel odor presence. The solenoid is under the plenum.When the fuel got warmed up from circulating to the hot engine, the vapors increased to the point I could smell a considerable amount of fuel in the interior. That was thanks to the solenoid being seized and not allowing the engine to pull the vapors into the plenum to burn.

If your car was idling for a bit and the engine got up to temp, that could be the issue.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023   #4
Jagdpanzer

Suggest checking the fuel pressure regulator. Check by pulling the vacuum line from the top. If raw gas squirts out of the fitting after energizing the fuel pumps then you have a ruptured fuel pressure regulator diaphragm.
To fix the plenum will have to be pulled and replace the fuel pressure regulator.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023   #5
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
Suggest checking the fuel pressure regulator. Check by pulling the vacuum line from the top. If raw gas squirts out of the fitting after energizing the fuel pumps then you have a ruptured fuel pressure regulator diaphragm.
To fix the plenum will have to be pulled and replace the fuel pressure regulator.

1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023   #6
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Corvette ZR-1 View Post
First thing that comes to mind is the fuel vapor canister and purge solenoid. I had a solenoid go bad and give the same strong fuel odor presence. The solenoid is under the plenum.............................
1990 Model the purge solenoid is not under the plenum.

I am not sure exactly where it is but I think it may be on the front of the driver-side wheel well. Hopefully, someone with better knowledge of the 1990, will jump in and verify the cannister purge solenoid location.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023   #7
Starman

I replaced the o-rings for the fuel rail system along with the injector o-rings. Were clearly leaking on one side at fuel rail crossover tubes. Get the viton from Jerry. Smell cured and stopped bleeding pressure.

Starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023   #8
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
1990 Model the purge solenoid is not under the plenum.

I am not sure exactly where it is but I think it may be on the front of the driver-side wheel well. Hopefully, someone with better knowledge of the 1990, will jump in and verify the cannister purge solenoid location.
Good catch, Jerry. That?s right, the canister is also under the driver side headlight, just like the old L98 cars. No plenum dive needed for the 90 ZR guys.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote