ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-08-2020   #11
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Default Re: I just noticed the inclusion of C6/C7 ZR1s

Years of thought and discussion have gone into these topics and decisions.
The board is to be commended for their work.
Controlled growth is good to keep the Registry relevant and vibrant.
Well done!
And, Thank you!

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020   #12
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
As for the search function I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. This, I am told, is the same vbulletin version utilized by Corvette forum. Searches can be conducted across all the Registry Forums, within a single Forum, within a forum section or within a single thread, on both a simple or advanced level. As such, when properly done, this reduces the possibility of getting spurious results.
I'm on a dozen or more vbulletin forums. Whatever the issue is, it's specific to this forum, not vbulletin.

For example, go to the advanced search and search for posts with: valve spring. None of the top three results contain the phrase "valve spring." It doesn't matter whether you search "valve spring" with quotes, valve and spring, or just valve spring. Same results. It's not searching for one post with the combination of valve and spring.

Go do the same search at corvetteforum and look at the top three results. Every one contains the combination of valve and spring. Put quotes on "valve spring" and the results change. Here they do not. It's a registry forum issue and it makes the search function useless.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020   #13
Erik

Quote:
There's a lot that went into the decision to include C6/C7 folks on the forum and, as Registry Members will find out at a later date, how the Registry plans to expand to include C6/C7 owners. I can only say it was a decision that was not taken lightly. I will say that I am satisfied that the plan will allow for the focus to remain on C4 ZR-1's while at the same time allowing the C6/C7 owners to build their own parallel structure.

As for the search function I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. This, I am told, is the same vbulletin version utilized by Corvette forum. Searches can be conducted across all the Registry Forums, within a single Forum, within a forum section or within a single thread, on both a simple or advanced level. As such, when properly done, this reduces the possibility of getting spurious results. Is it perfect, far from it. We have spoken numerous times about it internally. In the end the only way to really improve it is to move away from Vbulletin. While that may sound simple on the surface of it, the entire history of the forum and its knowledge base would be at risk. To date, that risk has out weighed the necessity of improving the search function. I'm sure this will continue to be a topic of discussion both on the forum itself and with the board on a regular basis.
We are now two generations of VBulletin behind. Which in of itself is not a bad thing, as the two newer releases of VBulletin have been disasters.

The original VBulletin team left and set up Xenforo, which they are continuously updating and improving. In terms of functionality and usability, it's about as far ahead of this software, as my brand new iPad Pro is compared to my first Palm Pilot. Plus, Xenforo is always updating for the best levels of security.

I've been through two migrations from VBulletin to Xenforo, and both went relatively smoothly. It really comes down to how much customization has been done to the VBulletin along the years. I don't see much of that here. Migration is usually not totally smooth, but there is no reason to expect the info in the database to go missing. Attached pictures seem to be the biggest issue, but that can also be mitigated.

Xenforo is now the industry standard. If anyone on the board would like to see how it all works, shoot me a PM, and I can show you my site with the latest updates.

Quote:
We are, as you can see, expanding to include C6/C7 ZR1 owners. Expanded membership in the future will give us the wherewithal to do things that have long only been a topic of discussion.
:
It's an interesting challenge, as the C4 ZR-1 has about as much technically in common with the C6 and C7, as it does with my new Mustang. The only real similarity is in the names. The C4 ZR-1 was truly an outlier from anything else GM, or Lotus, made.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020   #14
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
I'm on a dozen or more vbulletin forums. Whatever the issue is, it's specific to this forum, not vbulletin.

For example, go to the advanced search and search for posts with: valve spring. None of the top three results contain the phrase "valve spring." It doesn't matter whether you search "valve spring" with quotes, valve and spring, or just valve spring. Same results. It's not searching for one post with the combination of valve and spring.

Go do the same search at corvetteforum and look at the top three results. Every one contains the combination of valve and spring. Put quotes on "valve spring" and the results change. Here they do not. It's a registry forum issue and it makes the search function useless.
Search functionality has improved dramatically over the past few years, which becomes painfully obvious as you try to navigate here, once you have spent any time on newer fora.

Old 12-08-2020   #15
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Search functionality has improved dramatically over the past few years, which becomes painfully obvious as you try to navigate here, once you have spent any time on newer fora.
I've been on vbulletin forums since 2004ish. A few of the large ones have always had decent search functions. I wish I knew more about the inner workings to give more constructive criticism than "the search here sucks," but I don't...and the search here sucks.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020   #16
Ccmano

Quote:
I've been on vbulletin forums since 2004ish. A few of the large ones have always had decent search functions. I wish I knew more about the inner workings to give more constructive criticism than "the search here sucks," but I don't...and the search here sucks.
Sorry, this is beyond my feeble capabilities. But be assured this will continue to be a topic for future improvement with the board.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020   #17
Tripler

Quote:
It won't matter. This is the worst search on any forum I've ever been a member on in 20+ years. It's useless as is.
Not true . The stickies from Dynomite are extremely helpful and yes , it can be a bit of a chore to find your exact issue , but its still beyond helpful and I really appreciate his hard work setting up those stickies .

Sent from my SM-A205W using Tapatalk
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020   #18
geezer

Dynomite + 'Stickies--- Priceless!!
geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020   #19
Erik

Quote:
Sorry, this is beyond my feeble capabilities. But be assured this will continue to be a topic for future improvement with the board.
H
Let me know if I can help. I wasn't able to run for the board this year, but I'd still like to do my part to keep this place running.

Old 12-08-2020   #20
Vette Guy

Hi Erik,

We are very interested! Ted Feder will be in touch!

Regards,
Mark
91 ZR-1 #2016
95 ZR-1 #21 DRM-600, LPE 385
Vette Guy is offline   Reply With Quote