ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-29-2014   #1
Dynomite

Default How to fix your dipstick handle

This just came up on CF which puzzled everyone with a solution to the broken plastic dipstick handle
If you guys toss the broken handled dip stick...I am interested ...broken handle or not.

See item #3 Oil Dipstick Handle Replacement TIPS

See Post #6 Oil Level Dipstick TIPS

3. Dipstick Handle Replace.
The Dipstick Handle which is Plastic is usually cracked. I replaced the handle with a Chrome Oil Dipstick Handle

I removed the cracked Plastic Stock Dipstick Handle. Once removed, there is a FLAT with a dimple. I drilled the dimple through with a 5/32 drill bit. I then put that end of the dipstick to a grinder and shortened that end so the hole I drilled lined up with the New Chrome Dipstick Allen Head Bolt.

The Chrome Dipstick Handle was then installed using several small washers to secure/compress
the existing shaft between the two halves of the New Chrome Dipstick Handle.

The existing straight portion of the Dipstick was then placed in a vice and the handle bent and
twisted to align the Chrome Handle with the Cam Covers similar to the original alignment.

The New Billet Aluminum Dipstick with BIG RED OIL Letters fits perfectly with the Billet Aluminum Oil Fill Cap I found on Ebay
Search Ebay CORVETTE C4 LT1 BILLET CHROME SCREW IN STYLE OIL CAP
Ebay Billet Aluminum Oil Cap (fits 90' & 91' LT5 & L98).

If you place the stock Dipstick in a vice at the flat just below the first squiggles and then with Dipstick Handled INSTALLED...you can twist the Stock Dipstick any direction you want but you have to go over center to make the twist stay. You can also bend the part between the collar and handle but you then have to keep the Dipstick from turning. So it is not too easy for some.......I was about to take a torch and heat the Stock Dipstick End before I figured out that hardened metal Dipstick could be twisted and bent without breaking.

The beauty of the Stock Dipstick is if you break off the cheap Plastic Handle there is a very nice FLAT with that dimple where the outer part of the top part is swedged onto the smaller Flat making a slighty LARGER Flat to work with.

I was going to enclose the bottom of the New Chrome Dipstick Handle but found that not necessary because it absolutely does not show at all untill you remove the Dipstick. I may enclose that area with some JB Weld and Rustoleum Black Heat Resistant Paint.

Last edited by Dynomite; 05-01-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #2
LantanaTX

Default Re: How to fix your dipstick handle

Now that is really cool! Thank you for sharing. And yes mine is broken and hard to pull out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1991 #0663
LantanaTX is offline   Reply With Quote