ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-05-2009   #11
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Those with Oil Catch Cans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
So I've a question. Is the intent to catch the oil, and add it back to the engine? Or just to catch the oil? I've noticed some of you mentioning adding scotch-brite or steel wool pads into the can to help it catch oil. I assume if you do that, you simply discard anything it catches?

It seemed to me if that was where most of the oil consumption comes from, it might be nice to add it back and not have to always be checking the oil level (once you've established it doesn't drop at a regular rate). However, if that's not the majority of the consumption, I guess it doesn't really matter, you're adding fresh oil somewhat regularly either way.
Bob,

The one that I have I'm thinking about adding it back in; all of the top quality oils are quite expensive to me. I can't believe how much oil I catch and since I just got it running after all these years, I have not figured out what rate it is collecting. I have another problem that I am burning way too much oil too with my 90; not just the normal lack of valve seals and I hope it is not the oil rings. I have to confirm as it is difficult to see behind as to the exact color so I'll have someone follow next time and go WOT. My plugs show some pretty good fouling too so I'll have to post pictures and get some advice from here.