ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 08-05-2018   #1
Corbusa

Question Engine build advice

Hey Guys I'm not on the forums much - I work and sleep is about it ( and try to keep my health up) anyway, I am slowly restoring a truck , its a 1984 chevy short bed - Its taken a few years to get it to the point of the engine.. and I have been out of the engine building loop for about 15+ years - So I'm looking for advice.... My truck has a 12 bolt 3:40 gear ( posi ) , a 400 turbo trans, and I'm wanting to start gathering parts so I can someday get the engine put together.. here's my question - I want as much HP as possible on pump gas ( high octane is fine) , I have a 283 engine, a 350 4 bolt block, a 327 Large journal ( marine block) and a 400 Block ... I hear the vortex heads are the choice for the price ( I'd really like 400-500 HP..) , I've never built a roller motor - but I'd like to have a roller cam set-up .. I was thinking turbo - but I think I'll just keep is simple and I do want the AC to work ... which engine do you think is best .. and I like longevity ... 377- 383- 400 ???
I think my next item on the list for it is - the headers and exhaust - then the AC , a big radiator so when I'm ready for the engine swap all that stuff is done.. any advise is appreciated , Thanks
Corbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018   #2
onetinsoldier

Default Re: Engine build advice

Run the 400 , 4.125 , 4.155 bores are easy to find pistons for, 4.185 is harder to find . If you use the stock crank 3.75 use a 5.7 rod , forged pistons , dart heads with at least a 200cc runners 2.02/1.60 and a hydraulic roller , they make retro rollers for the old blocks. As for cam maybe 2500-6500 rpm , under 295 duration unless youre getting a 2500-3000 stall converter . the converter should lock at the same time the cam starts its power range . turbo 400 is ok , but heavier than what you need , 700r4 would be nice !
onetinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018   #3
Corbusa

Thanks Bro, Yea I want a stock torque converter, I do build the older transmissions and actually had a 700R built to put in it but a buddy needed it so I gave it to him and put a 400 in mine.. I may check on a gear vendors ( I think another guy I know has one) .
should I check on a steel crank ?
I see youre in Spring Hill. I got a buddy that lives there , Isnt there a 4 x4 shop there? I cant remember the name of the place .. I left Tampa 20+ tears ago...
Old 08-14-2018   #4
onetinsoldier

The steel crank is an option , I run factory GM 400 cranks in my 406's , I run steel in the larger engines with 6 " rods like a 434 . Make sure you use ARP bolts on the rods and mains . Have it internal balanced and torque plate honing is an option . If you run the 400 balancer use locktite on the snout ! you can run a cam with up to 525 lift without fly cutting the pistons . headers 1-3/4 " full length.

youre not missing anything in tampa , it is really overgrown , what used to be a tropical paradise is now a tropical traffic jam ,I grew up there , you couldn't pay me to move back ! Ive been in spring hill about 7 yrs , in the past 3 , the 4 lane roads are now 6 lanes and soon it will be another tampa . its funny people from the north move here , people from here, move north !
onetinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018   #5
Corbusa

thanks for the info, I used to be a gearhead, but haven't built an engine since I left Tampa in 1996.. I couldn't take Tampa/ FL anymore .. After living in the mountains for for over 20 years Theres NO WAY of living in a city again... If you come thru TN stop in..
Old 08-14-2018   #6
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Consider the Holley Fuel Injection!
Easy to use.
Works Great!
But you do need and in-tank pump and two lines.
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018   #7
Corbusa

I'll check it out... Thanks ..