ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 Members' Rides

Old 06-27-2014   #11
HIZNHRZ

Default Re: My New, 23 Year Old ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
So these are not OE ZR1 wheels then?
No. I could have made the 20" OE wheels work. The combination of the 20" wheel and a tire sidewall that was .5" smaller just didn't look right to my eye. I also convinced myself that going with the OE ZO6 tire size would not be a problem in my lifetime.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #12
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIZNHRZ View Post
I agree with you on all points. The reason for sending the car to Chicago, however, was it had a pilot bearing that was fused to the transmission input shaft and a clutch disc that imploded. I needed a replacement clutch that would handle the engine mods and I wanted to retain my OE dual mass flywheel. Marc had the package I was looking for.

I had planned to go with the C6 brake package. With the transmission out of the car it seemed to make sense to have Marc send it to Bill Boudreau and have him do his ZF magic.

I spent a big part of my brake budget on on the transmission. I was going to wait on the wheels until I could swing the tires, wheels, and brakes all at the same time. I ended up going with 18" wheels in the front and 19" wheels in the back.

With a little luck I'll buy the high ticket items (Street Shop rear brake adapter kit, rotors, and C6 ZO6 calipers) this summer. The install and remaining parts will need to wait until next year.
Pretty much what I did except for the trans part. A bit by bit process. Couple of little kinks getting the Z06 rears to work. Particularly w getting the eBrake cable right. But you have some that have blazed the trail, so ring me up when you get to that part.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #13
XfireZ51

Quote:
No. I could have made the 20" OE wheels work. The combination of the 20" wheel and a tire sidewall that was .5" smaller just didn't look right to my eye. I also convinced myself that going with the OE ZO6 tire size would not be a problem in my lifetime.
Agree on both points. Thought 20" was a bit much. Tire availability was also a consideration for the 19s.
Old 06-28-2014   #14
HIZNHRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
Nice stance! How did you lower the car?
Replaced the 8" spring bolts that run between the ends of the rear spring and the top of the suspension knuckle with longer bolts.

Replaced the front leaf spring and in the process laminated new "Lowering Wedges" onto the front leaf spring.

Back is easy, the front - not so much.

I also had trouble with the ride height of passenger side being higher than the ride height of the driver side. Marc Haibeck also took car of this problem when he had the car this past winter.
Old 06-28-2014   #15
We Gone

Looks great.. Congrats on a fine ride.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016   #16
HIZNHRZ

Finally was able to get my "parts" powder coated. Looking forward to seeing how these will look like on my car...the plan is to use a set of old C6 brake pads to wear throught the powder coating on the rotors. Thoughts?
Fronts:

Rears:
1991 Blk/Blk #864
Founding Member #255
Marc Haibeck Follower !
Old 01-31-2016   #17
XfireZ51

They will look great but stop you even better. The amount of pedal travel needed to slow your car down will decrease. You'll find that you are stopping sooner than you thought. I have another set of stock rotors if you need them. Anxious to see how my lighter rotors will feel on the car,
Old 01-31-2016   #18
Mystic ZR-1

They look great!
But, why didn't you have the powdercoater
mask off the pad wear area?
Getting the rotors "turned" to get off the pad area powdercoat
may be a better option than wearing it off with old pads?
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016   #19
Jagdpanzer

Quote:
Finally was able to get my "parts" powder coated. Looking forward to seeing how these will look like on my car...the plan is to use a set of old C6 brake pads to wear throught the powder coating on the rotors. Thoughts?
Scott,
They turned out great.
To avoid a potential headache mess of burned off powder coat everywhere I would go along with Mystic's suggestion and take them down to your local brake shop and have the coating turned off the contact surface with a brake lathe.
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016   #20
HIZNHRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
But, why didn't you have the powdercoater
mask off the pad wear area?
Getting the rotors "turned" to get off the pad area powdercoat
may be a better option than wearing it off with old pads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
To avoid a potential headache mess of burned off powder coat everywhere I would go along with Mystic's suggestion and take them down to your local brake shop and have the coating turned off the contact surface with a brake lathe.
Thanks for the feedback. The OE rotors on my Z06 seemed to rust quickly. I brushed high temp paint on the rotor hubs and outer edges of my Z06. This stopped the rust. The brake pad contact area, however, did not extend to the outer edge of the rotor surface. When I brushed on the paint, I didn't tape. I let the brake pads clean up the rotor surface leaving a perfect outer diameter annular ring on braking surface of the rotor.

When I brushed on the paint, I obviously didn't cover the entire rotor contact surface. With these rotors, to get the outer edge cooling fins and drilled holes painted, and to avoid the cost of all the tapping, I had them paint the entire wheel (except the contact area for the parking brake). For the cost of the tapping, I could have almost bought the Coleman 2pc. rotors built by Performance AFX (I'm exaggerating but it would have been expensive)!

I was going to wear the powder coating off with the old OE pads. Once the powder coating was worn off the rotor suface I was going to install new Hawk pads. Do you think wearing off the black powder coat and leaving the annual ring will make an unnessary mess? Do you think I risk hosing up the freshly powder coated calipers?
1991 Blk/Blk #864
Founding Member #255
Marc Haibeck Follower !

Last edited by HIZNHRZ; 01-31-2016 at 06:52 PM.