ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-03-2013   #11
Daniel_Mc

Default Re: Does the ZR-1 Require a special tow hook or other towing requirements? ---

Front Tow hook:
One thing to mention the front bracing on this Z is all welded not bolted like a stock car FWIW.

-Daniel
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #12
Daniel_Mc

Default Re: Does the ZR-1 Require a special tow hook or other towing requirements? ---

Rear:

-Daniel
Old 04-03-2013   #13
Daniel_Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Do you have dimensions of this adapter?
I assume you made this adapter yourself?
Did you make any extra in that color

Thanks,
Cliff
Cliff,

No this was someone that I was racing with at the time. He made this for his car and I have just saved the pictures. I'm sure I could mock something up for the dimensions.

Daniel
Old 04-03-2013   #14
Daniel_Mc

Cliff,

Thanks but I cannot take any credit on the tow hook. The hooks are original equipment on this ZR-1. The rear tow had been removed at some point in the cars life. However the mounting hardware was still attached. I used a leaf spring U to make the new one and it worked like a champ. The original builder of the Z trucked it around on a semi with the race cars and pulled it in and out of the trailer with the hooks. At one point one of the cars failed and they were using the Z to tow it off the track and back to the pits. The hooks seem to have held up good over the years I see no fatigue or distortions to any part of the hook/frame/or body.

The rear you could make for less than 10 and the front probably the same if you have the tools to weld it yourself. The front just need to be placed in a break to get the angle. I have been meaning to make a few sets but work and life have me slammed at the moment.

Daniel
Old 04-03-2013   #15
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Mc View Post
Cliff,

Thanks but I cannot take any credit on the tow hook. The hooks are original equipment on this ZR-1. The rear tow had been removed at some point in the cars life. However the mounting hardware was still attached. I used a leaf spring U to make the new one and it worked like a champ. The original builder of the Z trucked it around on a semi with the race cars and pulled it in and out of the trailer with the hooks. At one point one of the cars failed and they were using the Z to tow it off the track and back to the pits. The hooks seem to have held up good over the years I see no fatigue or distortions to any part of the hook/frame/or body.

The rear you could make for less than 10 and the front probably the same if you have the tools to weld it yourself. The front just need to be placed in a break to get the angle. I have been meaning to make a few sets but work and life have me slammed at the moment.

Daniel
Daniel,

Great stuff and I don't mind being on your waiting list when you have time to make a few sets. Thanks for sharing!!!

Craig
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #16
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Absolutely love the tow adapter

Makes loading the car in the trailer soooo easy!!!!

Thanks cliff!!!!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #17
scottfab

Here ya go

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #18
emmvette

Default Re: Emergency Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Emergency Kit.....15 ft tow rope (5,000 lb vehicle rating), Jumper Cables, Tow Adapter, Lug Wrench

Daniel_Mc provided a concept/photo of a Tow Adapter for a ZR-1 that in its simplicity I just could not pass up
So......I designed one after the photo provided by Daniel_Mc and had a local steel shop fabricate the Tow Adapter.
I did some towing tests to see if there are any issues or limitations. One limitation will be towing at an angle in a turn which this adapter without being bolted on the back side of the cross member will not function (that did not seem to be an issue during the tow tests). The Tow Adapter is made from 1/8 inch steel plate which is substantial and flexible enough to tow the ZR-1 with Nylon Tow Ropes having a steel hook on one end.

The Tow Adapter is made to engage the 1-1/4 inch square tubing of the frame support under the front of the ZR-1.

Post 16 - Lifting and Towing the ZR-1
Dynomite: Did you make extras? I am interested in buying a tow hook to install on my car for winching it up into a trailer.

If these are available, please let me know. If somebody has other suggestions, please share.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2014   #19
edram454

I like the look of this and it is a good idea. How long does it stick out?? I have seen many c5 corvette with tow hooks installed running around all the time. Is this installed with bolts or just to place on metal bar and pull? I am interested in one of these. You never know..... Do you make them?? Price?

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #20
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
I hope to never need a tow with the ZR-1 , but as we all know ... our cars are getting relatively old now.

I know the Viper guys keep a set of spare "r-hooks" in their car. Supposedly they fit in the frame correctly and most tow trucks don't carry their own set ... or enough of them.

Is there any towing requirements for these vehicles? Should I invest in anything to keep in the car "just in case"?

Thanks ---
Here you go
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....ghlight=towing
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote