Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-23-2010   #21
bdw18_123

Default Re: My '90 ZR-1 project update thread

I have ZR-1 parts all over the place (including in my bedroom) :

I think something is missing here ...

1990 Corvette ZR-1 [/B][I]
White/Flame Red, #2299, mostly stock, 144K miles.[/I]
-Cams timed to the '93-'95 405HP LT5 stock timing.
-IAT sensor relocated to below front bumper.
-Haibeck hoops installed in airduct.
-OBX cat-back exhaust.
[COLOR=DarkRed][B](SOLD - December 2012 [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed][B]:hello:)[/B][/COLOR]

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed
(SOLD - October 2009 :hello:)
bdw18_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #22
tomtom72

That is some major restoration work going on there!

Nice work. That car is going to be right when you're dunn!

Tom

You may want to think about a heater core r&r while the dash is out.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #23
bdw18_123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
That is some major restoration work going on there!

Nice work. That car is going to be right when you're dunn!

Tom

You may want to think about a heater core r&r while the dash is out.
Ya know, I was pondering the same thing. I noticed there is a layer of some type of sponge/foam type material on the interior side of the core. Where do you get that? Is a new heater core very expensive?

-OBX cat-back exhaust.
[COLOR=DarkRed][B](SOLD - December 2012 [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed][B]:hello:)[/B][/COLOR]

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed
Old 03-23-2010   #24
Jeffvette

New heater core is relatively cheap. The install is what sucks. You still have a lot to remove to get to it.

Keep making progress. Just don't let it go dormant for along period of time.
Old 03-23-2010   #25
JThomas

That makes my head hurt just looking at all of those parts. I can only offer encouragement.

Keep up the good work, there's an end to that project someday.
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #26
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdw18_123 View Post
Ya know, I was pondering the same thing. I noticed there is a layer of some type of sponge/foam type material on the interior side of the core. Where do you get that? Is a new heater core very expensive?
Listen to the words of Jedi-Master Obi-Wan-Jeffvette-Kanobi....

Oh, yea, the heater core is proly about cost of an oil & filter change plus a bit more. Inexpensive part and the "while we're here" rule is in play now. Just test the damn thing before you install it to check for leaks. The foam could probably be bought at the hardware store in the HVAC section. You know those bootleg foam filter blanks, 2' x1' x 1'' thick stuff they sell it as a sheet and you cut it to fit your needs. Or if it's strips, you can hi-jack the install kit from a sleeve A/C unit. I have to confess that I don't know what the foam looks like. If I could see it I can probably make a determination of where to get some as I'm sure GM don't sell it at the parts department. I'll go look in my 90's FSM and see if I can figure an answer for you.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
Old 03-24-2010   #27
bdw18_123

Quote:
Listen to the words of Jedi-Master Obi-Wan-Jeffvette-Kanobi....

Oh, yea, the heater core is proly about cost of an oil & filter change plus a bit more. Inexpensive part and the "while we're here" rule is in play now. Just test the damn thing before you install it to check for leaks. The foam could probably be bought at the hardware store in the HVAC section. You know those bootleg foam filter blanks, 2' x1' x 1'' thick stuff they sell it as a sheet and you cut it to fit your needs. Or if it's strips, you can hi-jack the install kit from a sleeve A/C unit. I have to confess that I don't know what the foam looks like. If I could see it I can probably make a determination of where to get some as I'm sure GM don't sell it at the parts department. I'll go look in my 90's FSM and see if I can figure an answer for you.

Tom

Here is a close-up picture of the foam on the heater-core, looks like it's approximately 1/4" thick. How would I get the new core pressure tested? Are even new cores bad right out of the box very often?

-OBX cat-back exhaust.

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed
Old 03-24-2010   #28
tomtom72

That looks like std A/C bootleg filter material....or I'll bet a UPS store has that 1/4" thick stuff in rolls. I still say that an A/C filter....not the new kind that are framed in plastic, but the really old fashioned stuff that used to just stick to the front of the evaporator grid.

I have seen guys complain about leaking H/cores right out of the box! Remember this stuff is made by people that don't even know what a car is....like the hicks in China who assembled those slave cylinders with the seal on backwards, remember them?

I would think that a hose running slowly, fill the core till it starts to come out and them use your hand to cover the outlet to build some pressure, no....you know what i'm talking about, right? Or I wonder if you can adapt a radiator/cooling system pressure tester to do the job....maybe with some heater hose and some clamps. I doubt that you would need more than a few PSI to detect a leak.

Tom
Old 03-24-2010   #29
Dynomite

Quote:
I would think that a hose running slowly, fill the core till it starts to come out and then use your hand to cover the outlet to build some pressure. I doubt that you would need more than a few PSI to detect a leak.

Tom
15 psi radiator and 60 psi - 100 psi garden hose

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-24-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #30
bdw18_123

Quote:
That looks like std A/C bootleg filter material....or I'll bet a UPS store has that 1/4" thick stuff in rolls. I still say that an A/C filter....not the new kind that are framed in plastic, but the really old fashioned stuff that used to just stick to the front of the evaporator grid.

I have seen guys complain about leaking H/cores right out of the box! Remember this stuff is made by people that don't even know what a car is....like the hicks in China who assembled those slave cylinders with the seal on backwards, remember them?

I would think that a hose running slowly, fill the core till it starts to come out and them use your hand to cover the outlet to build some pressure, no....you know what i'm talking about, right? Or I wonder if you can adapt a radiator/cooling system pressure tester to do the job....maybe with some heater hose and some clamps. I doubt that you would need more than a few PSI to detect a leak.

Tom
Thanks for the tips Tom! I'll give that garden hose trick a try after I buy the heater core.

GM Parts Direct has the OEM heater core for about $72, but aftermarket would probably be cheaper. Would it be better to get the OEM, or are the aftermarket cores just as good or better?

-OBX cat-back exhaust.

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed