ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
ZBrink

Default Alternative Higher Amp Alternator (140 amp)

I made a discovery when looking to upgrade my alternator that I wanted to put out for everyone. I know a lot of you are running 200 amp alternators which requires upgrading all of the power wiring and fusible links. That was going to be a lot of additional work for me with the engine still in the car. I also realized that a lot of the latest electronics are lower amp from when folks in the forum started modding their cars. Ex. my new, high CFM fans only require a few more amps than the factory fans from 1990 so I don't even need a 200 amp alternator.

Our alternators are the early version of the Delco-Remy CS144 case in 120 amp. The later version CS144 can be found in 140 amp at a very reasonable price, doesn't require upgrading the wiring, and is close to drop-in. You will simply have to un-bolt the case back and rotate it 90 degrees (don't forget to put a paper clip in through the back of the case to hold the brushes in place) and swap out the pulley (use your original one) and that's it! Of course I forgot to take photos

Current part numbers are posted below but the best way I found to find one is to search RockAuto, Autozone, etc under 1994 Buick Roadmaster. I was able to score a new ACDelco for $87 on Amazon last week.

New:
ACDELCO 3351048
WAI GLOBAL 8112N
REMY 91408
BBB INDUSTRIES N81125
PURE ENERGY 8112604N

Reman:
REMY 20594
BBB INDUSTRIES 81125
PURE ENERGY 8112604
ACDELCO 3342401A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240419_005129.jpg (172.2 KB, 31 views)
1990 ZR-1 #299, Bright Red/Red
1998 Z51 Fastback Coupe, A4, Torch Red/Oak

Last edited by ZBrink; 1 Week Ago at 01:33 AM.
ZBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: Alternative Higher Amp Alternator (140 amp)

When I went to do this on my 1990. I found the case hitting in a couple spots. the Later design Alternator uses a slightly bigger case which causes it to not fit. in my experience..

I would Like to see pictures of the one you installed, maybe when I did it I mised something..

I ended up upgrading my alternator internals and going with LEDs helps
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
ZBrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
When I went to do this on my 1990. I found the case hitting in a couple spots. the Later design Alternator uses a slightly bigger case which causes it to not fit. in my experience..

I would Like to see pictures of the one you installed, maybe when I did it I mised something..

I ended up upgrading my alternator internals and going with LEDs helps
I edited my original post an added in a photo of the late style CS144 mounted. It fit just fine in my 1990 I'm totally kicking myself for not taking side by side photos though. I've got to get better at photo documenting this stuff to post.

I thought the only difference between the early and late CS144 was the case back where the bearing mounts. The way I understood the readings is that later versions were beefed up and the bearing shows through the case versus sitting inside the case as was on the original versions.
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBrink View Post
I edited my original post an added in a photo of the late style CS144 mounted. It fit just fine in my 1990 I'm totally kicking myself for not taking side by side photos though. I've got to get better at photo documenting this stuff to post.

I thought the only difference between the early and late CS144 was the case back where the bearing mounts. The way I understood the readings is that later versions were beefed up and the bearing shows through the case versus sitting inside the case as was on the original versions.

yes but also the case surrounds the Stator is thicker and covers more. I found issues when I tried it on my 1990. I ended up beefing up my alternator when I rebuilt it
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
secondchance

Zack,

Higher amp alternator does not require an extensive rewiring. All that's needed is beefing up from alternator to the battery by adding a 8 ga. wire. also, Marc recomended beefing up and additing an extra wiring from the battery (not the actual battery but the distribution block (?) next to the battery to HVAC fan module. Latter allows HVAC fan to run a little faster resulting in air speed increase at the vent.
I am running a custom 200 amp "hair pin" alternator (Nippon Denso internal in CNC housing machined to mimick CS144) and overall C4 ZR-1 is a happier car.
Prior to this, when I had my alternator rebuilt locally, rebuild shop told me they can be rebuilt to 140 amp and I took that option. I think it cost me $65. This was about 6-7 years ago, I think...
https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread...ght=alternator
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
dredgeguy

When my car was with Marc he did the 200 amp alternator mod as Yun described above. He measured the air flow out the vent before and after double wire to the fan blower motor. 10mph as stock, 14mph after the mod, not a bad increase in air flow!

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
ZBrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Zack,

Higher amp alternator does not require an extensive rewiring. All that's needed is beefing up from alternator to the battery by adding a 8 ga. wire. also, Marc recomended beefing up and additing an extra wiring from the battery (not the actual battery but the distribution block (?) next to the battery to HVAC fan module. Latter allows HVAC fan to run a little faster resulting in air speed increase at the vent.
I am running a custom 200 amp "hair pin" alternator (Nippon Denso internal in CNC housing machined to mimick CS144) and overall C4 ZR-1 is a happier car.
Prior to this, when I had my alternator rebuilt locally, rebuild shop told me they can be rebuilt to 140 amp and I took that option. I think it cost me $65. This was about 6-7 years ago, I think...
https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread...ght=alternator
I found all of my factory wiring looms under the hood to be in good condition, still factory sealed, etc. I decided it wasn't worth it to cut all of them open in order to run the higher gauge wire to the battery and to beef up the fusible links, especially considering I didn't need 200 amps.

My original plan was to build out my OEM alternator to 200 amps myself at home. Once I realized I didn't need 200 amps, I looked at building it out to 140 but with the increased cost on the consumer market for parts, it was only about $25 more to just buy a new 140 amp alternator.
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
-=Jeff=-

Where were you planning to buy your alternator parts at? I am always looking for a good source for that
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978