ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-12-2012   #41
RHanselman

Default Re: Raptor and Henderson Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
Hey Rat...I just happened on this thread and was reading....can you share a little about what the "Raptor ECM".
Sure...

The goal was pretty simple. Provide an updated Plug and Play replacement ECM for all year C4 ZR-1's but with a twist...

1. Compatible with all Systems and Subsystems
2. Compatible with all current sensors
3. Incorporate all the newest technologies
4. Hi resolution, support Boost control, NOS, Meth Inj, COP, CNP, WBO2 and internal data logging
5. NO modifications to the current engine harness (excluding COP/CNP as an option of course...)
6. Incorporate all technologies that the Mega Squirt System already supports
7. Common interface for tuning with USB connectivity

We are on track for all of this and I'm sure the Mega Squirt Guys will surprise me with even more. The car was to be run with the prototype last week however I didn't get my Friday end ow week report. First time they missed a report but the prior reports have been promising...

I hope to have the first 10 production pieces mid next month.

Cheers,
Ron

Last edited by RHanselman; 01-27-2013 at 06:27 PM.
RHanselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #42
Hib Halverson

Great combination of features!

I take it the Raptor ECM development grew out of your need for a better controller for your boosted engines?
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #43
alnukem

Subscribing!
alnukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #44
rbidwell

Hi Ron,

Does Mega Squirt handle the electronics for the 4L80E automatic transmission?

Ron Bidwell
Old 01-20-2013   #45
Merlot566jka

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHanselman View Post
Sure...

The goal was pretty simple. Provide an updated Plug and Play replacement ECM for all year C4 ZR-1's but with a twist...

4. Hi resolution, support Boost control, NOS, Meth Inj, COP, CNP, WBO2 and internal data logging
5. NO modifications to the current engine harness (excluding COP/CNP of course...)

We are on track for all of this and I'm sure the Mega Squirt Guys will surprise me with even more. The car was to be run with the prototype last week however I didn't get my Friday end ow week report. First time they missed a report but the prior reports have been promising...

Cheers,
Ron
By "subsystems" did you find a way to communicate with the CCM, ASR and EBTCM?
Merlot566jka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #46
rkreigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHanselman View Post
Sure...

5. NO modifications to the current engine harness (excluding COP/CNP of course...)

Cheers,
Ron
the megasquirt is a great system. I have a suggestion. why not use the factory ecm, and just use the megasquirt with a wideband o2 sensor to control the secondaries. that way a nice big injector could be used on just the secondaries for boost with the nice part throttle characteristics of the factor tune.

I think the secondary injectors could be triggered via boost sensing, and integrated with the the factory tune with a bit less trouble by just using the megasquirt for WOT/under boost. LPE did this with the LINC computer on the TT cars and it seems to work very well and is less complicated.

worth a thought. taking the "secondaries away" from the stock ecm is ez enough, and a bit of fiddling with the factory calibration plus the nice tuning available from the megsquirt might make this combo work well with less trouble

see what corey thinks.

another option is just having the megasquirt run the fueling. by keeping the factory wiring and sensors, and sensors for the factory ecm and driving all the gauges and maybe just tapping into the TPS signal for the megsquirt speed density tune. the factory ecm would still control the spark timing via the memcal.

seems like full integration of the megasquirt with all the GM stuff might be the big challenge here.

as long as you give the LT5 what it wants in terms of spark and fuel tables at various loads, it won't know what's feeding it

Last edited by rkreigh; 01-22-2013 at 06:58 PM.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #47
A26B

Ron,
One of the main considerations in the development was to make a replacement for the ECM, while at the same time integrating all of the latest technology and MegaSquirt features. The ECM is becoming very difficult and costly to find, all of which will only increase with time. Being designed as a plug & play look-a-like will also meet the requirements of the ZR-1 owners who prefer stock. A side benefit of no small value, is the entire new, Raptor/Megasquirt unit will probably cost in the neighborhood of what it would cost in installation alone to add-on any aftermarket controller.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #48
FU

There are quite a few people looking at this Raptor/Megasquirt unit with much interest. This is a very exciting turn for our Z's

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #49
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Very exciting stuff!

Not just the ECM, but the TT raptor!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #50
rkreigh

a few of the local hot rodders I hang with have put megasquirt setups on their older v8 cars and I really am surprised how capable this system.

very cost effective and the tuning dashboard software is ez to use and every bit a capable as the high dollar big stuff and XFI systems

I'm not very handy with a soldering iron but I understand now you can get the systems "built and tested" for just 100 bucks more or so

I was thinking about playing around with one to put a blower and EFI on an old bb chevy but haven't gotten the engine off the stand and into the car yet

too many projects and not enough $$ or time

best of luck with the project. if you can make a megsquirt "plug and play" system, you will have really accomplished something great

the LT5 ecm isn't bad, but no where near as capable

I'd be interested in trying it out the the LSV to provide the wide band tuning capabilities and tame out the idle and emissions on the LSV

keep me posted! might give me a good excuse to drive down and see corey. I have my brother in law in San Antonio and I owe him a visit

iron @$$ ride to be sure!
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote