ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-14-2003   #1
Anonymous

Default ZR-1 Coolant Hoses

I needed to replace my oil cooler hoses on my 90 ZR-1 and decided to go to the local ( and only) Chevy dealer here in Sioux Falls because I don't have the tools for this. I decided since I washaving that done to also have the coolant hoses replaced too that I bought from Mid America(their breakdown kit). The mechanic at the dealership told me that the big hoses down below are a killer to replace and that he may have to remove the tensioner pulley to get at things. He also mentioned that the old hoses were glued on(which I think is true since I replace one of the top hoses a year ago and basically had to cut it off). They told me that I am looking at about 6 hours of labor just for the coolant hose. It does look like a killer to get at the lower big hoses but I was thinking 6 hours for me to do it but not the dealer. Does this amount of labor make sense? I am kind of stuck since I am away from my tools but would like a second opinion.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003   #2
Anonymous

I helped someone put on some after market hoses and it took me close to 6 hours and I never replaced the one big hose going into the block as this looked almost impossible to do. I don't believe they are glued on just stuck pretty good and yes I had to cut them off. Trust me it was a lot of work.
Old 12-14-2003   #3
Anonymous

Thanks Mom! They hit me for 4 1/2 hrs (instead of 6)labor for the coolant hoses including the big hose. He told me that he thought he would have to remove the tensioner pulley to get to the big hose. My pocket book is hurting a little but my knuckles and back feel a lot better after hearing your story. Sounds like my dealer was pretty honest also about the effort it would take. Thanks again!
Old 12-14-2003   #4
Anonymous

I should also mention that I have a lift in my garage which made it a lot easier when doing the bottom hoses. Don't even want to think about doing this lying on my back. :-)Also after I was done I had something like 8 cuts on my hands.I would say 4 1/2 hours was very fair. :-)
Old 12-14-2003   #5
Anonymous

Thanks! I am really feeling good that I did not take this job on. We have a "how to"on the ZR-1 web site regarding the oil cooler hoses but I don't think we do on the coolant hoses. The shop manual on the ZR-1 gives no indication of the degree of difficulty on the coolant hoses. The possibility of not being able to break loose the engine block connections on the oil cooler hoses prompted me to go to the dealer. The coolant hoses was kind of an after thought since I was heading for the dealer anyway. I am sure this will be a good heads up for a lot of guys who like me thought changing the coolant hoses was a no brainer.