ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-03-2015   #1
bvectra

Default sway bar

if i put a larger sway bar on the front of the zr1 to roadrace what can I expect to happen and problems that mite occur with what fixes
bvectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015   #2
RussMcB

Default Re: sway bar

In generic terms, you'll have more understeer / less oversteer.

Can you tell us more details about your situation? For instance, have you driven the car (near its limits) and didn't like the balance?

I've taken my ZR-1 to road courses and driven it ~90-95% near the limit (or perhaps more accurately, to my skill limits), and it felt very controllable and predictable. The only oversteer I had was "fun induced", and I don't remember any undesirable understeer.

Point of reference: My car has stock suspension (probably in need of new bushings), fresh shocks and Nitto tires for track-only use.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015   #3
bvectra

my car seems at time to lose the back end trying to put more sway in the front to control it is this right?
bvectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015   #4
RussMcB

Yes, but I'd look into other causes first. My gut feeling is, if your suspension parts are in good condition, everything is tight and you have a good alignment and tires, you shouldn't have any odd loose handling. Perhaps your C-Beam bolts are allowing the rear to shift. It seems like that's often a reason why C4 rear ends step out unexpectedly.

If you feel like it, describe in detail about when it happens (happened). That might provide clues about why it felt too loose. What race track and which corner did you notice it most? Is it when you turn into the corner, at apex or at corner exit?

Addendum: It may help you to think about what ARB's do. In addition to reducing body roll, their secondary function is balancing the weight transfer in the front vs. the weight transfer in the rear. Adding a stiffer front bar helps if the outside rear tire is losing grip sooner than the front outside tire. In other words, if too much weight transfer in the rear is your problem then a stiffer front bar will probably fix the problem. If that's not your problem then a stiffer bar wont help (or it may just mask the problem).

Last edited by RussMcB; 12-05-2015 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Addendum
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote