ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-19-2017   #1
JasonWal

Default New to corvettes.

So I bought a corvette. Very recently. It's a 1990 zr1 with 62,000 miles on it, it's in excellent condition, runs with zero problems, I got it for the jaw dropping price of $3,000, and honestly that's about all I know. One other thing I know is that I've never been a big car guy... that is, until I put the gas pedal down on this car. I'm hooked and before I go blowing all kinds of money on it(I'm 25yrs old, not a whole lot of money to blow) I want to game plan the engine mods and upgrades just perfect in my head before I make a single move.

Vision: A fun, fast weekend car. Not drag racing for sub 10's but still get the admirable head nod at track. I also love the cammed out sound.

Any words of wisdom from those more experienced, I'd be more than grateful for your input, advice or thoughts. Thanks in advance!
JasonWal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017   #2
G8nightman

Default Re: New to corvettes.

3000 bucks how did that happen?
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017   #3
ghlkal

Yeah, we got to hear the story ... and see some pics
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017   #4
USAFPILOT

You sure an LT5 is in that thing?
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017   #5
edram454

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWal View Post
So I bought a corvette. Very recently. It's a 1990 zr1 with 62,000 miles on it, it's in excellent condition, runs with zero problems, I got it for the jaw dropping price of $3,000, and honestly that's about all I know. One other thing I know is that I've never been a big car guy... that is, until I put the gas pedal down on this car. I'm hooked and before I go blowing all kinds of money on it(I'm 25yrs old, not a whole lot of money to blow) I want to game plan the engine mods and upgrades just perfect in my head before I make a single move.

Vision: A fun, fast weekend car. Not drag racing for sub 10's but still get the admirable head nod at track. I also love the cammed out sound.

Any words of wisdom from those more experienced, I'd be more than grateful for your input, advice or thoughts. Thanks in advance!

WOW! A new low!!

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017   #6
edram454

upgrades?? on a budget?? buy a 572 big block chevy and put that in the engine bay. It would be way cheaper than to mod that lt5. this car is an exotic sophisticated car. It is like fine wine. It is to be sipped and enjoyed and occasionally tested. Modding this car is very, very expensive,,cams etc... remember 572 inch with 400 horse fogger nitrous system. that is cheaper speed and lots of it.

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017   #7
JasonWal

So the guy had recently bought a 1992 corvette..
his wife was making him sell it and when I met with him in person to see the car, how well he kept it.. I was stunned and after checking the frame and engine, paid said $3000.
Downside: the right side has minor damage. He slid into a speed limit sign and there's a small 5 inch hole on what would be the front right fender, as well as an identical hole in the front part of the right door near the bottom. Everything else is pristine. I'll have to post pictures tomorrow afternoon but I still can't believe my luck on this find..!
Old 04-19-2017   #8
JasonWal

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
upgrades?? on a budget?? buy a 572 big block chevy and put that in the engine bay. It would be way cheaper than to mod that lt5. this car is an exotic sophisticated car. It is like fine wine. It is to be sipped and enjoyed and occasionally tested. Modding this car is very, very expensive,,cams etc... remember 572 inch with 400 horse fogger nitrous system. that is cheaper speed and lots of it.
I'm really not sure exactly what's already upgraded, and budget is really whatever I save up per month. Anywhere between $1,000 and $2,000 depending on how much I'm putting toward debt. It's also not my daily driver(in case anyone was wondering).
Old 04-19-2017   #9
93RubyZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
You sure an LT5 is in that thing?
For $3k, I'm also concerned that you ended up with a regular Corvette with ZR-1 badges added on. If it is legit, then you got an incredible deal even with the damages mentioned. Post pictures and we'll let you know what you got.
93RubyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #10
ssrszz4

When I bought mine for 11800 the person I bought it from told me a local wrecking yard had offered him 11000. These cars have a lot of value in parts as we all know.

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ssrszz4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, build, cam, mod