ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-07-2011   #1
ZR1Vette

Default CONGRATS to the ZR-1 Registry and those who were early members>>

You were ahead of your times... this just surfaced and the concept is the same just now Feds could be involved instead of just one organization (and yes, can not stop a ZR-1 from being purchased just to be parted out, but least there is an effort to track and preserve the KOTH):

The federal government has national registries for historic buildings, boats, airplanes, railways--you name it. But not for cars. And the Historic Vehicle Association is trying to change that.

The association, which was founded in 2009 by Hagerty Insurance on behalf of its vintage car collector clients, is pushing for legislation that provides federal protection for vehicles in the way that historic buildings are preserved.

A concern among enthusiasts is that government initiatives -- such as the 2009 federal cash-for-clunkers incentive--could send many vintage cars to the crusher. Legislation might prevent cars from being destroyed. Or it could allow gas guzzlers to remain on the road if other laws preclude them.

What would qualify? Is a split-window 1963 Corvette discovered in a barn more worthy of protection than a mint-condition 1977 Caprice? After all, both have historic value.

What if you change the paint color on a 1962 Lotus Elite from green to blue after it has been registered, or put a Chevy small block in a Jaguar E-Type?

"We don't have all the answers, but we are expanding the dialogue," said Carmel Roberts, director of government relations for the association. "We're looking at how things are treated, everything from a Marmon Meteor to a milk truck ... it's all possible."

Cars could be deemed historical because of who owned, designed, built or engineered them, or if they were tied to a significant event, Roberts said.

Insurance magnate McKeel Hagerty, who supports the movement, says: "People assume we're talking about cars that should be in the Smithsonian, but that's not the case. These cars are used, and they are required to be used. Just like historic homes allow upgrading from knob-and-tube wiring, we allow upgrading of classic cars."

[I][SIZE="2"]1990 RED on RED #566[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE="2"]WAZOO MEMBER[/I][/SIZE]
ZR1Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #2
gbrtng

Default Re: CONGRATS to the ZR-1 Registry and those who were early members>>

Oh great; more federal meddling. When will it ever end?
Old 09-07-2011   #3
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrtng View Post
Oh great; more federal meddling. When will it ever end?
This sounds like a "free market" private sector initiative to me not the Federal Government.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #4
fred

You're both right. It's a "free market" private sector initiative to get the federal government to meddle. They'll probably give out a $2 million dollar grant to make a feasibility study. I'm available.
fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #5
jcruz

Quote:
Is a split-window 1963 Corvette discovered in a barn more worthy of protection than a mint-condition 1977 Caprice?
Uh. Yes.
1992 #043, Aqua/Gray 40k miles
jcruz is offline   Reply With Quote