ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-31-2013   #11
alnukem

Default Re: ZR-1 Value

I'm not a car show type of guy, but, if I was setting up a ZR-1 @ a show, I would have a sign professionally made up with all the records that the ZR-1 has. If my car was modded, I would say on the sign "This one has a little more!". I sometimes tinker with my car in front of work, many customers ask about it & I educate them. The problem with our cars is weight & cost to modify beyond 425 rwhp.
alnukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #12
emmvette

Only time will tell. I have a '68 that gets a lot of attension when I drive it. I'm a recently new ZR-1 owner and made the decision to sell my '04 ZO6 Commemorative edition to make space for it. I just sold that car Friday. It was a beautiful, light, fast car and it handled exceptionally well - but the history of the ZR-1 and LT-5 is really incredible when compared with everything Corvette that came before it. Especially when taken into context of the HP trend for 15 years leading up to its release.

My justification to myself was that if I spent 5-10k on my Z06 to make it the way I wanted, it would have been worth less than when I started, and would have continued to depreciate for the next 15 years. With the ZR-1, I was patient and found what I wanted so I don't have to put a lot into it, and I don't expect it to go down in value.

Of course, I may be wrong, and if so, that's OK. My biggest reservation was that work a fair amount and the newer Z06 was nice because I could hop in it and go - I didn't have to spend time fixing things on it. My ZR-1 has not been the same way so far, but it also hasn't been used much in the last 5 years. I'm hoping I am running into all the little things would have crep up if it had been used more frequently.

Regardless, I love the ZR-1; its a ton of fun to drive!
Old 09-01-2013   #13
John Boothby

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnukem View Post
I'm not a car show type of guy, but, if I was setting up a ZR-1 @ a show, I would have a sign professionally made up with all the records that the ZR-1 has. If my car was modded, I would say on the sign "This one has a little more!". I sometimes tinker with my car in front of work, many customers ask about it & I educate them. The problem with our cars is weight & cost to modify beyond 425 rwhp.
When I attend car shows with my '90Z, I display the "ZR-1, Corvette only More So" poster. It is great to see all the folks read it and comment to their friends about how they remember this vette and all the hoopla in the press when it came out. It is like most folks have forgotten about it until they see one!! I also display the letter that indicates all the records that were broken that day.
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013   #14
Cal55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePearson View Post
I am amazed at the selling prices for our ZR-1's...relatively low, I mean. Today, just now I watched the Auburn Indiana classic car auction sell a 1961 fuel injection v8 that was in great shape for $95,000. Nobody famous owned it tho the 1960 v8 prior to it sold for $57,000 partly because Burt Reynolds had owned it. Historically, functionally I understand why people pay for rarity but for heavens sake, there were only 6951 LT5's ever sold in our ZR-1 bodies out of, what, 2,500,000 Corvettes made to date and they all run like scalded dogs and put these other cars absolutely to shame with road handling, cornering, etc.

I have to believe if I live long enough these 1990-95 ZR-1's are gonna sell for a bunch if they are well kept, low mileage and/or great restorations. Almost makes me want to go buy an LPE or Haibeck 385 that's been ported and relieved and park it in the garage somewhere so my kids can sell it for a wad. Maybe even find a DRM Black Widow and do the same.

They just ain't painting many Van Gogh's anymore.

Lance
I agree Lance, I think they'll be comparable to the C3 big blocks, even the small blocks are going for big money now. In hindsight I should have kept my 70 Bridgehampton blue small block coupe. I remember when C3 LT1's were fairly reasonable, now look at their prices. It's just a matter of time, the ZR1's did sell for big money new, I couldn't afford a new one back in the day or for that matter even now. I've been watching their prices on ebay and it's pretty disconcerting, some great deals on there and they're still not selling. I'm thinking about selling mine but I know I would regret it as soon as it left my driveway and I don't want to give it away either.
Happy Labor Day!
Joe
Cal55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #15
Blownrunner

On these forums the cars that are talked about and show interest are the black widows or the lingenfelters, NCRS winners, or the later years, or the really low mile ones.

If you go to a show certain people like certain cars more than others so for people not to show interest in any car is nothing new. It also seems that a really nice original or heavily modified car is popular at shows and wins trophies, but is often times hard to sell, or at least for a descent price.

I thought that maybe an NCRS c4 z would be cool, and mine was a Top Flight a few years ago before I got it. The way to keep an expensive to fix car original is to not fix/maintain anything as I found out about $5-6k later for repairs and maintenance. Would you believe my car had the original wiper blades on it? Once again cool for an NCRS show you should have seen the wiper arms the first time it rained.

I ended up deciding to just enjoy mine and not to compare my car with everyone else's, after all it is just a fun car, and at $20k I can just save money and in a few years just get another one, or something similar.

Last edited by Blownrunner; 09-03-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Blownrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #16
zig

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePearson View Post
Franke, I've had the same experience. I get more attention at local shows when I take my red 76 than when I take the 91 ZR-1 yet it has less than half the horsepower and technology. Ah well, it's just a lament.

Lance
I can relate. I take my 91 Z-28 and put the ZR-1 next to it. Granted the Z-28 is a very nice car, it always gets the attention and questions. But every once in a while you get that one that walks around to the back to take a peak. When I see the smile and the run back to check out the engine I get a chuckle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camaro deleted background small.jpg (55.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6429 no background small.jpg (72.3 KB, 1 views)
1991 ZR-1 #85, 21,000 miles
1991 Z28, L98, 62,000 miles
1996 Collector Edition Convertible, 87,000 miles
zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #17
Kevin

i sometimes feel bad about my friends testarossa being worth ~$30,000 more then my zr-1. but then I remember that the testarossa was ~$180,000 new in 1989
Old 09-03-2013   #18
icarus-54

When we go to shows we usually take 3 cars,the 90 Z,91 full out syclone, and a stock typhoon.But its always the syclone that gets the attention.Although some of the older guys (45+)stop and stare at the Z.
1990 Zr-1 #361
1991 GMC Syclone (built)
1993 GMC Typhoon (stock)
1993 GMC Typhoon (street)
1992 GMC Sonoma GT
1928 Model A pick up
icarus-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #19
Kevin

the few times i take the car to a show it's not getting the looks it used to in the early naughties
Old 09-03-2013   #20
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
the few times i take the car to a show it's not getting the looks it used to in the early naughties

You still driving the Yugo???

BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote