ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-30-2013   #1
LancePearson

Default ZR-1 Value

I am amazed at the selling prices for our ZR-1's...relatively low, I mean. Today, just now I watched the Auburn Indiana classic car auction sell a 1961 fuel injection v8 that was in great shape for $95,000. Nobody famous owned it tho the 1960 v8 prior to it sold for $57,000 partly because Burt Reynolds had owned it. Historically, functionally I understand why people pay for rarity but for heavens sake, there were only 6951 LT5's ever sold in our ZR-1 bodies out of, what, 2,500,000 Corvettes made to date and they all run like scalded dogs and put these other cars absolutely to shame with road handling, cornering, etc.

I have to believe if I live long enough these 1990-95 ZR-1's are gonna sell for a bunch if they are well kept, low mileage and/or great restorations. Almost makes me want to go buy an LPE or Haibeck 385 that's been ported and relieved and park it in the garage somewhere so my kids can sell it for a wad. Maybe even find a DRM Black Widow and do the same.

They just ain't painting many Van Gogh's anymore.

Lance
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #2
Kevin

Default Re: ZR-1 Value

the only thing that's keeping me from selling my car is the low selling prices. of course I'd feel differently if I could put together a few years of trouble free running...

Last edited by Kevin; 08-30-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #3
taximan

I continue to say, we are our own worst enemies. Unless its a distress situation, people should realize we have a big part of corvette history, and a rare piece. Especially 93-95s.
1995 "Last" Admiral Blue ZR1 #438
Member # 760
NCM Lifetime member #1005
NCRS # 23110

[I][B]Sting Rays Corvette Club of Florida
Gold Coast Corvettes Club[/B][/I]
taximan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #4
LancePearson

I agree and realize as I did that not many people really know that 90's ZR-1's existed and we get lumped into C4's which didn't resonate. That is so silly when you drive one of our Z's it's unbelievable.

I am not sure I agree with the comment about 92-95's being more special. Heck, the engines were all made in one run and stored for three years before being dropped into the roughly 548 z's a year assembled and sold. Granted, slightly more hp than the 90-91 but it is very nominal. The seats reportedly are modestly more comfortable but that's all splitting hairs.

Want to know why I bought a 90-95 Z? I had looked at a gorgeous black one at local shows a few times, hood up and this guy taking no crap from C5 or 6 guys on power and speed, same guy with his car, and eventually it dawned on me that his engine was drastically different than the V8's of the day in Vettes and before buying a C5 or 6 I researched it to see why and found out what an amazing engine it is. Every time I pop the hood I see the guts of an Indy 500 open wheel car of the day with a fiberglass body popped on it. Now, tell me that ain't special enough to command some $$ even if I'm not purely correct but in driving distance of the ballpark? When I hear C6 owners put our cars down I want to go ballistic. I didn't buy what he has for a reason, several, actually.

True, some of the more recent supercharged cars are very powerful and have more electronic control systems but I almost consider that all to be refinements of the two valve pushrod technology too far so would never buy one now that I know what I know.

My day to rant, please grant me some slack. My heart's in the ZR-1 place anyway.

Lance
Net Registry #1461
Old 08-30-2013   #5
Franke

I agree with you Lance. I take my Z to car shows just to have fun with other corvette folks and am amazed that not many people recognize the difference in the ZR-1 from the C4. Once in awhile a person will stop and talk Z talk because they know the differences and value but others just pass by like its just another C4. They should realize that the C4 generation started the real all out performance of the corvette with handling combined with horse power. It grew from there to final product in the ZR-1. Previous production corvette cars had lots of power but not the more refined handling of the C4 generation. My 2 cents worth.

Last edited by Franke; 08-30-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #6
LancePearson

Franke, I've had the same experience. I get more attention at local shows when I take my red 76 than when I take the 91 ZR-1 yet it has less than half the horsepower and technology. Ah well, it's just a lament.

Lance
Net Registry #1461
Old 08-31-2013   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Lance, I've noticed too that at car shows, the multitude of ppl don't realize what they're seeing. The exception seems to be the younger generation of car nuts.

It is interesting to go to car shows/cruise nights and people-watch to see reactions. A dozen people will pass by the Z without noticing. Then (usually a young lad) will do a double-take and strut right over to look! Next thing the cameras come out and a little throng of his chums will group around the open hood to stare at a very rare piece of Corvette history and ask lots of questions.

Once at a cruise night, some dude came up with his girlfriend on his arm and he stopped to point and make some snarky comment to his GF about C4s and how his C5 would blow any C4 away. A guy sitting beside me (showing a beautifully restored Olds 442) spoke up to the dude and asked him if he had any idea what it was he was looking at? Like suddenly getting caught with a hand in a cookie jar, the realization of being caught without knowledge of what it was about this particular C4 he didn't understand, the look on his face followed by the GF pulling away from his elbow...priceless!

Far as driving down the price of a truly unique Corvette goes, I blame it on:

Dis-information regarding the parts and availability of expertise to keep the LT5s running.
Fear: I've never see a BJ auction where a ZR-1 came across the stage and the commentator didn't have something to say about how "very complex" the motor is, and often followed by a comment regarding parts, etc. etc.
Damn few have ever seen an LT5, and only know what others (equally ignorant at times) have said about them (we all know the yarn goes)
Lots of (well deserved?) harping about issues with early C4s ride, (leading to) squeaks, electrical connections (old anything has those), the "low" hp (we've heard it all)
GM has done a fair job of dissing the LT5 in order to promote their "new and advanced" pushrod technology.

Idiots. (One could write a book!!) But, perhaps now with the new Caddy DOHC V6, and the huge waves being created by the Ford Coyote, maybe the LT5/ZR-1s will get some recognition in the market. I invite all of you to share in one of the best moments where these "antique" LT5s shocked the entire C5 and C6 generation drivers at an all-Corvette shootout.

"Truth is where you find it"!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 08-31-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #8
LancePearson

Paul, that is funny. I am guilty as a 76 owner of a c3 of doing the same thing...but the image of this guy with the wicked looking Black ZR-1 with his blonde girlfriend (she was very 'up front' and distracting) and that hood up with an obviously different engine. He is a sort of less refined guy but one day I sauntered over and asked him how much horsepower he had and he answered it as "375" and I wasn't sure he knew what he was talking about. However, I had enough sense when I got serious about adding another Corvette to research it and compared to a C5 which started out as my target for Vette #2, there was no contest. His presence at the local shows made an impression on me. These cars just are the bridge to the future that still is.....

Two days ago before the holiday weekend and state police push to write Labor Day weekend tickets in a move towards both safety and state revenue I was in it for a ride on the long on ramp to I295...going a sedate 37 mph in second a car whizzed by me on the Interstate at about 75 or so in the 70 mph limit zone going up onto the Varina Enon bridge. The look on his face as I whizzed by him was also priceless...then after a brief run into three digits I slowed down to 71 and crossed the bridge and headed for the Battle of Malvern Hill in 1862 site and a few quiet minutes wondering about the Civil War's insane loss of men...8,000 in 12 hours on that one country farm field alone in canon and small arms battle. The police never sit on that particular on ramp or the bridge so it's relatively observant free from radar for short bursts like that. It is so effortless it's amazing.
Net Registry #1461
Old 08-31-2013   #9
MickeyD

I watched the same auction. A 90 Red/Red with mid 30's on the clock went for $14,500.00! I was kinda shocked after watching prices stay in low to mid 20's for so long. Wonder if something else was wrong.
1990 ZR1 Red/Black #2469
1990 ZR1 Black/Black #843
1993 ZR1 Ruby 40th Anniversary #112
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #10
LancePearson

Mickey,
The 1990's auctioned in the last couple years did not sell for as much money as the 1991's. Fairly big price difference. The photos are results of 1990, 1991, 1993 of their auctions from 2010 on. 91's sold in mid 20's, 90's in 15-17's.

Lance
Attached Images
File Type: png 91 auburns sold for more than 1990s.png (123.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png 1993 auburn auctions z.png (63.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png auburn sales of z's.png (237.0 KB, 16 views)
Net Registry #1461